Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Need to travel. Am I being safe? Please read history.

(3 posts)
  1. hunkamunka

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 20:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been getting bites for about 7 weeks now. I live in a three bedroom home with my husband and five children. Some of the kids are getting bit, some are not, and hubby only recently has said he's gotten bitten. Most of the kids spend a lot of time out doors playing ball, and every ball season they come home with several mosquito bites. I don't.

The first bite came when I stayed at a hotel. We did check for bugs, but found no evidence. Just two bites one the hand. Because I'm a tad paranoid, we washed and dried everything that came home from the hotel, including the clothing we were wearing, stripping in the garage, bringing not a single item into the garage.

The bites continued. Some in rows or clusters, some single bites, most of them under the clothing, belly button area, elastic of the pants area. I wear a thermal type of underwear to bed and 90% of the bites are under there. I get 1-3 bites every other night or so.

So, we vacuumed everything. Heat treated everything, inspected everything, treated the dresser, dumped the diatomaceous earth everywhere, had a pest control guy inspect. No one has found any evidence anywhere. I even bagged nearly every bug scrap I could find for him to look at under the microscope and he reported that it was mostly ants and a spider. Lots of lint. He said he found NO evidence of bed bugs. No blood, no poop, no dead bugs, no eggs, nothing.

The bites stopped for a while, then came back. THEN I found a bug INSIDE my long underwear. (Which is white, by the way, and we never once saw a blood stain on my underwear.) I saved the bug, put it in some tissue and put it on my desk. The kiddos knocked it on the floor and I have wiped every inch of that floor looking for it, but it's gone. It was a fully intact sample. I was so happy to have something to show the PC guy.

The sample was a nearly translucent bug, somewhat like pictures I've seen of the stage 1 nymph, but a bit larger, and without any sort of blood or line inside of it. And rounder. I have no idea what this is, and can't find anything else like it online.

This has all been so hard on my mentally and physically. I just had surgery and can't get around my house well to do any followup cleaning, so relying on hubby and kids to help out.

I need to travel in a couple of weeks and we are planning to stay at friends' homes. I need to find out if I have BBS or not so I feel OK about traveling. Any suggestions?

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 29 2017 20:51:06
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as traveling, if you or your pco can't find any signs, that means if you do in fact have bed bugs, it's a small infestation and if you take precautions before traveling, your chances of spreading them to your friend are minimal. Heat treat everything you take and take all your clothing, etc. in jumbo zip locks or duffle bags that are new or have been heat treated.

Do you have some sort of monitoring devices in use like bed leg interceptor traps or passive monitors? Have you considered bringing in a k9? Youd probably have to pay for a k9 and vacuum up any DE you have laying around but it may be worth it.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. hunkamunka

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 31 2017 10:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate the confidence that I can travel without spreading. I still can find no evidence anywhere, but got four new bites last night alone, all under my long underwear. I seem to be the only one getting bit.

I'm ordering traps today, and will consider the K9. I need to check out what's available in my area. Thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982