Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Need some advice please

(29 posts)
  1. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 14:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

As we cannot find any evidence of bed bugs, i started thinking it could be fleas. I ordered sticky glue traps and they should be here tomorrow. Is there any other traps that are good for catching insects? Do fleas bite everyday? My boy is getting bit more and more now. Not every day but at least once a week. This morning i noticed another two bites on his face i also found blood spots on his bedding and this never happend before. Im getting more bites and they are on different parts of my body now. Before i normally used to get them on my fingers. I just dont know what to think anymore i cant see any insects, any evidence other than blood and bites. It’s been 5,5 months sicne we’re back from our holiday so i guess i would see signs of bed bugs by now. Everyone says that too

2. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 16:24:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry you're going through all this - I am really sorry it effects your son. I am on about the same time schedule as you, possibly having been exposed 5 1/2 months ago. Was the blood you found red or was it fecal? Was it on the parts of the sheet where his bites may have touched?

3. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 16:36:04
    #

Login to Send PM

It gets even more stressful when children are getting bites he moves in his cot so much through the night that i cant tell. The blood is always red, on our sheets too. It’s so annoying not knowing what it is. But there is definitely something biting us

4. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 17:11:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you had a professional inspection done? Even though I had BBs before and knew what to look for I couldn't find any evidence. The PCO was able to find one though. Do you have animals and that's why you're thinking fleas? I really hope you have an answer as to what it is soon. I truly understand the stress of not knowing and the stress of having your child be bitten.

5. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 17:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, but it was just 2 weeks after we got back from holiday. I rang a different PCO after christmas but he said he wont come out to inspect becuase after 5 months i would find a lot of evidence of bed bugs if we have them. We have got a passive monitor and there’s nothing on it. I check the beds and really cant see anything. It’s driving me crazy. It’s been so long and i still dont know what it is no, we havent got any pets but it can happen. You can have fleas without pets. I read an arrtical about a family being bitten by fleas at the hotel

6. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 17:30:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you have any monitors? And do you know how big the infestation was when PCO found one?

7. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 17:48:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay well first of all I really sympathize with your situation. You could keep waiting to find evidence, put out the sticky traps, keep inspecting and if you don't find anything within 30 days?(someone correct me if I'm wrong) then maybe consider seeing a dermatologist or allergist. Option 2 get an active bb monitor or make one and see if you catch anything that way. Or option 3 call a different PCO and don't give any backstory. They can't treat without evidence so I can't understand why they aren't willing to come inspect and give an estimate. So I'm assuming this all started with the bites after your holiday? It is unlikely that you would have BBs that long and not see anything but obviously something is going on here. If fleas were present I would think you'd have seen one by now as well. I think having a good thorough professional inspection is your best bet.

8. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 17:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I think i would see whatever is biting us by now. But yeah, it’s strange how it all started after the holiday. Well, my little boy was bitten at the hotel. We only stayed there for one night. We were staying at a family house before that. This is why i think we must have brought something back with us. I just want to know what it is the sticky glue traps will be here tomorrow so i’ll put those out and if i dont see anything, i’ll ring a different PCO like you said. Thank you again

9. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 17:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

In my situation (this is my second tango with BBs) I just knew. My son was getting bit, and I searched for weeks, it took 6 weeks till I had the PCO come. No monitors but I was checking almost daily. It was dumb luck that he even saw it, he didn't find the harborage just one dumb bug on the top of the box spring. I ended up going with a different PCO for treatment and all he's ever found was one dead unfed nymph and one fecal mark. Even during my first treatment he saw nothing. I think I caught it early and probably had a limited exposure.

10. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 18:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds like a good plan. I truly hope that you have your answer soon!

11. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 18:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

It’s horrible when children are getting bit sorry to hear that you had to go through it again. Now im worried that we could have them and maybe im just not looking properly...Definitely need to ring a different PCO. It was only me that was getting bit up until about 3 weeks ago when my little boy started getting bites. He sleeps in his own bedroom. So whatever we have must of moved to his bedroom now. But wouldnt i see signs by now??

12. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 18:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Help Please,
    I also don't trust my inspection skills, which causes me a great deal of anxiety, so know where you're coming from. When I read the post by BuggedOut, I thought the same thing. However, after I read BuggedOut's second post and saw 6 weeks, I tried to calm myself down by telling myself that finding a bedbug or evidence of one after 6 weeks is a lot harder than finding evidence after almost 6 months. I don't know if that is accurate or not, but it seems in line with what I've read. If you have another PCO come, I will be very interested in what he/she says. Again I am so sorry for what you are going through with a child - that is so very hard. I hope an expert will also respond to your post.

13. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 18:33:26
    #

Login to Send PM

It's easier said than done but try not to worry. It's on your radar and if it turned out to be BBs then I'm sure you will handle it by any means necessary. If you're unsure if you're looking hard enough watch a YouTube video on how to inspect. I think I was having issues finding anything bc I have no bedframe, my box spring and mattress sit right on unfinished hardwood floors so probably hiding in those cracks. If you have a frame and carpet I'd think seeing anything would be easier. I think you'll have peace of mind once you have another inspection bc I can definitely say that if a professional didn't find anything after 5.5 months then you don't have BBs.

14. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 22:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged,
    Did the inspector take off the dust cover on your boxspring and your couch (if you have one) during your inspection?

15. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jan 29 2018 23:52:11
    #

Login to Send PM

No cover on the couch and I had already cut a slit in each box spring dust cover for my own inspection purposes. In my experience they usually check around each staple and the plastic corner covers.

16. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 0:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the description of the PCO inspection. When you looked inside the box spring, did you ever find anything inside when outside was totally clean and you wouldn't have suspected from the outside that there was a problem inside? How old was you first infestation before you noticed it? Did you notice it by bites?

17. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 4:15:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Faye and BuggeddOutt. I will post on here to let you know how we got on with the inspection

18. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 4:21:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you schedule an inspection? Was last night ok?

19. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 5:28:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Someone is coming tomorrow morning so will let you know how it went. My little boy woke up without any bite this morning. Thank you for asking

20. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 10:56:16
    #

Login to Send PM

So glad you are having another inspection. This way you'll know for sure one way or the other. I'd suggest asking the PCO if he minds you observing. That way you can see if he's looking anywhere you didn't and you can be sure he was thorough. A lot of times people will have a negative inspection but still have concerns that maybe they just didn't look hard enough. So once again for that peace of mind I would ask to observe. And I'm happy no bites on your boy today! I know the feeling, I check my son every morning and when he has one my heart just sinks. He's very allergic so they look like huge hives

Faye- I never found anything inside my box spring but in this case I caught it early. Last time I had realized it was BBs after about a month, I had been getting bit and just happened to see a nymph crawling away from me at 3am. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a private message.

21. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 15:17:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Help Please, Glad your son didn't have any bites last night. Hopefully, the PCO will not find anything, but ask him/her to show you anything found.

BuggeddOutt, Thanks.

22. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 16:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggeddOutt, thank you and yes, i will definitely watch him. Like i did with the first inspection. I want to be sure that they are doing the job properly. Im really worried about tomorrow but yes, hopefully he wont find anything. Ohh nooo your poor son, bless him that’s awful. My little boy only gets small bites and it worries me so much.
    Will let you know tomorrow how it went

23. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 6:20:59
    #

Login to Send PM

So we’ve had the inspection and we havent got any insects that bite in the house. Sooo happy right now He was very thorough too

24. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 6:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Would like to say a massive thank you to all the experts and non-experts for all your help and advice

25. BuggeddOutt

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 10:49:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay! So happy for you!

26. Help please

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 11:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you

27. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 11:11:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Help Please,
    I am so happy for you - thank you for letting us know.

28. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 12:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 1 day ago  » 
    I am on about the same time schedule as you, possibly having been exposed 5 1/2 months ago.

Faye, Help Please even had skin reactions, more than you've experienced, and it ended up that there were no bed bugs. You should see a doctor, you don't have bed bugs.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  29. Pattycake

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jan 31 2018 16:55:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Good news is great to hear.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,658 posts in 44,814 topics over 137 months by 19,670 of 20,374 members. Latest: jt2727, Aryn, JASM