need serious help! found in my SUV too

(17 posts)
  1. shaye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 6 2009 19:16:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I need help! My mothera apt bldg became infested with these vampire bugs and wouldn't you know they ended up at my 3 bedroom house. I was having itchy spots all over my arm in August. I didn't think much of it really since mosquittoes love to get me, but once they were not going away I became wary. Inspected 1st bedroom, nothing. Inspected second bedroom and found 1 on a curtain, no droppings, nothing else. Then came my bedroom, found the colony in the crease of my pillow top mattress, about 10-15 of them big and little. I freaked out! Since we rent our house I called the landlord and she will not hire a professional, so I called around and only 1 company had any experience with them, wanting $2100 to treat our home. Needless to say we do not have since my husband just returned to work after 6 month layoff. I super vacuumed, decluttered, encased every bed in encasements, sprayed with this stuff from lowes bayer advanced labeled for bedbugs and put down DE. I continue to spray every week since I know it kills them seeing it first hand, but I have serious questions. Am I spraying too often? Should I remove my dog from his bed in our room? All was well, we went two weeks with no bites then I started to notice them only on me about the time my daughter said a bug just bit her in our suv! Upon searching, sure enough they are in the suv! Have I been carrying them back in the house? I'm paranoid every where I turn now, uncomfortable every where! This started at end of August, its November now and I'm going insane! We had already planned to move in january or february since we are always having some issue here, but now I'm afraid to go, our couch is brand new and I hate the thought of having to toss it. Beds will be replaced but how do I be sure not to take them with us? Steam clean? Leave our stuff in the moving truck in those frozen temps? But for how long? Am I being impatient? How long does it normally take? And how do I get them out of my truck with all its hiding spots? Winter? Please help me, I feel so alone in this fight, my husband shows no signs and has never seen them so he just thinks I'm crazy!

2. sickofbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 6 2009 20:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

How does one know if there are bedbugs in their cars/trucks? What should one be looking for? Thanks.

sickofbugs

3. shaye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 6 2009 21:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

My wondering if they were in my suv came around when it seemed like every time I was in it I felt things on me, which to be honest I always feel that way anymore. But that got me curious, the day I planned on searching the suv my daughter said a bug just bit her and described a bb like a black flat ladybug. Knew it! So I searched the thing over and began to find the "skins" of them from molting. That's when I knew for sure there were more than 1. I took my truck and vacuumed the crap out of it at a car wash...spent $20 in quarters doing it. Then I sprayed it again with that spray I got from lowes. Next morning found that black flat ladybug that bit my daughter dead, trying to come out of the hatch! Made me quite happy. So I vacuumed again, waited, sprayed again, but either I really am crazy now or they are still biting me when I'm in it! But the bites are not the same. They were always huge and super itchy. Now its like someone has taken a needle and poked me with it. Itch for a few minutes then nothing but the tiny hole. I just hope everyone here has thought of checking their cars. I pray between the spraying and vacuuming and soon to be freezing temps they die off for good

4. meremortal

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 10:40:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone tried using a bomb/fogger inside their vehicle? Whilst unoccupied of course... Would this be even remotely successful, since it is a "closed" area?

I used DDVP strips all summer (in one unused vehicle, then switched to our other vehicle, 2 months in each) to no avail. I vacuumed the daylights out of each vehicle before its "treatment" but am still getting bitten, in both vehicles...

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 12:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

meremortal,
    I would strongly recommend NOT using a bug bomb inside a vehicle. First, bug bombs are major fire hazards. They are manufactured to be used in certain square footage, and even a Suburban is much smaller than that.

Secondly, the chemical used in bug bombs is one that may cause bugs to be repelled. Setting one off inside a vehicle is more likely to drive the bugs deeper into hiding within the vehicle than to get rid of the problem.

shaye,
    I might contact your local renters advocacy group to see what the legal requirements in your municipality are regarding landlords' legal obligation to treat.

Self-treatment is very hard to do successfully, and spraying chemicals yourself without reading the label and being absolutely certain that you're using the chemical pesticide in accordance with the label instructions runs the risk of making people and pets esp. in your home sick.

In the event that you really cannot find a way to force the landlord into treating the property, I would do a lot more research here about how to have the best chance at self-treating. Self-treatment can in very rare cases be both safe and successful, but the only accounts we've heard of people doing so involve people who essentially gave themselves a crash course in chemical pesticides and personal safety gear.

If you're using chemical pesticides to self-treat, you need to be carefully following all label instructions. Your account so far doesn't sound like you've done that.

If you're applying DE, you need to be using personal protective gear, which means using the industry mandated respirator protection (N95). Your account makes no mention of that.

With a 3 pound dog, the body weight of a pet that small alone would certainly tell me that the dog and its bedding should absolutely be removed from any place where pesticides and dusts are being used, as at 3 pounds the dog is going to be esp. susceptible to exposure to pesticides just because of body weight alone.

I don't know of any residual chemical pesticide labeled for weekly use.

In addition, there's no mention of how you're treating the material that gets into the vacuum after you've vacuumed.

Self-treatment is a terribly complicated process that requires successful bed bug warriors to do a tremendous amount of applied science research and develop a pretty broad and complicated skill set. That's why most people on the boards with reliable opinions caution people that it really should only ever be done as a last resort.

I know that risking your friendly relationship with your landlord is a tough thing to imagine, but if your landlord is at all reasonable, you might be able to convince him or her that it's more cost effective to treat the unit while you're in it than it would be to treat the unit if you all moved out.

6. shaye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 14:15:59
    #

Login to Send PM

In all of my treatments I am armored with protective everything from gloves to mask to jumper over my clothing. I do remove my dog before any treatment, was just curious if I should keep him out of that room all together. My moms bldg was infested, that's where my problem came from and the guy that sprayed hers told her things to be doing between his treatments. Those arw the things I'm doing on my own except I was spraying every week instead of every two. I leave the house to dry and air out before anyone including the dog come in to stay. I have checked with our rentals association and they say its a tricky case because we have lived here for so long the landlord would have the case on her side saying we brought them in, hince our job to get rid of them. I buy products that are labeled for bed bugs and spray according to their directions. They say not to spray more than once a week. Haven't sprayed the beds, just dusted them with de and encased them. My vacuum is a bagless one and I empty the canister immdiately and seal it in a trash bag and take it out. Now the spraying of my SUV may be a no no that I have done. My labels just say no mattress or pillows, so maybe that should've included the interior of my SUV? That's 1 I hadn't thought of until just now. I know self treating is a risk, health hazards are possible but I'm taking the appropriate measures to protect myself and loved ones in that. This is my only option right now and any advice is appreciated! I'm thinking of steam cleaning too? I don't mind doing the work, in fact I have officially declared war with these things, so any help is great to me. To add, we went 2 weeks without bites and now I'm the only person getting bitten....just began again and its just a random bite here and there.

7. hoo2677

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 14:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I just had heat treatment in my van. 4 hours at between 120 and 140. You might try to find a company that does thermal treatment and talk to them about doing your car. There's a good chance they've never done it, but it'll probably be big business for pest companies in the future..

I had been getting bites on my butt while driving and think i may have brought one into my house, which is dead (thanks packtite!). Cars are so complex.

Day after the treatment, which was last Thursday, I went camping for 3 nights in my camper van. No bites.

Portland, OR

8. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 15:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

shaye - 17 hours ago  » 
    either I really am crazy now or they are still biting me when I'm in it! But the bites are not the same. They were always huge and super itchy. Now its like someone has taken a needle and poked me with it. Itch for a few minutes then nothing but the tiny hole.

At least one other person on the forum experienced this shiftover; she wasn't sure whether she had gotten all the bugs or not, but she wasn't getting the big, itchy bites like before -- she actually went to an entomologist who keeps bedbugs, and had a nymph and adult bite her. Result was that she still got the big, itchy bites from new bites. It seems that she is still reacting slightly and intermittently to old bite sites. I can't promise that that's your deal, but bear it in mind as a possibility.

About BBs being killed off by cold -- it is almost certainly not going to happen unless possibly you live in northern Canada, Alaska, or somewhere equivalently cold. A week or more under freezing won't do it; it needs to get significantly colder than that, for a fairly long time. To put it in perspective, there's been a thread lately about bat-bugs (cousins of the human bedbug) surviving the winter in an unheated Canadian summer cabin.

9. shaye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 16:32:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Well that just killed me lol....was betting on winter to kill them off for good! It does get very cold here in the winter for weeks on end its usually in the teens, or colder, but I think I'm going the heat treatment route to be safe. My bites too were on my bottom since I love to wear loungy types of clothing to run errands. As for the new needle type of bites, I had hoped maybe they were from old bites but they are all in new places! Most of my bites initially were on my arm, a couple on my neck, and once on my side. These new ones are on my legs. Seems to me its always after I'm in my suv, but then again I feel like I'm loosing my marbles! I'm always itchy now even if nothing is there, always feel like things are crawling on me, and to be honest I think I cry about 3 times a week lately. Until last night. I had my worse break down yet and all of a sudden I got mad! That you are not going to ruin me anger. I now have declared war!

10. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 7 2009 17:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Some people do also respond differently at different locations on their body, so that may be what's going on, if the new bites are in new places.

at least one person (in Alaska) did report successfully freezing out the bugs by leaving stuff outside, and the FAQs have a page on the winter cold/exposure method:
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/08/04/faq-leaving-stuff-out-to-freeze-walk-in-freezers-etc-how-cold-and-how-long/

11. BugBoy911

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 8 2009 19:02:16
    #

Login to Send PM

A car would be a difficult playing field compared to a bedroom, yet a car should be easier to exterminate than a bedroom for a few reasons. One bedbugs would respond to a pyrethrum flush faster being that the care is a very small space volume wise. Second a car has many area's that a bedbug could harbor yet there favorite material "wood," is not in car's now adays which makes the bedbugs less comfortable and possibly more exposed. Flushing is one of my most practiced techniques in finding bedbugs. Flushing can be used very very effectively when treating car's, trucks, ambulances, and other vehicles to quickly identify were they are harboring and to see if indeed you have a bedbug infestation. I have used ULV machienes in the past or Ultra Low Volume application equipment that releases a controled fog of just pyrethrin concentrate or combined with Hydroprene for long lasting reproductive prevention. DE dust can also be carefully combed into the carpets of the vehicle ensuring a very long lasting residual safe for you and your family. Steam cleaning can also be used to further your positive state of mind but must be done slowly to ensure you heat up the fabric within the car to indeed in fact kill any eggs or 1st instar nymphs, don't forget about vacumming before your steam. God Bless Good Luck!! BugBoy911

12. shaye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 9 2009 23:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I can tell you that I found them in 2 spots, in a sense, their cast skins werw found in the hatch area of the back (carpet) which is where I always put my moms laundry for transport...oh if we had known! But the place that's got me the most freaked out is the drivers seat! Was not there before but sure became their spot as I learned the hard way from the bites on my tooshy, I did lightly brush in DE in the carpets and behind the seats of the back row, their was a small hole (very small) on the side of the drivers seating and I puffed a little DE into that hole. I had already sprayed my truck with the OTC stuff I had bought which took out momma as well as the older kids, but the babies are what are getting me through the seat. Spraying the truck was probably a NO NO but in my desperation I panicked. Now that vehicle just sits. I refuse to drive it, refuse to let my kids back into it. I'm worried about steaming the seats of the truck due to mold growth within the cushioning, any thoughts? Thanks all for your encouraging and heart breaking replies lol. Hope santa brings me what I want for xmas! A BED BUG FREE LIFE

13. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 11:33:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm worried about steaming the seats of the truck due to mold growth within the cushioning, any thoughts?

That would be why people here generally recommend dry vapor steamers rather than the kinds that are less expensive and more generally available. Dry vapor steamers can reach the temps needed without leaving behind the kind of moisture that could cause a mold problem.

14. 2manybb

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 11:56:44
    #

Login to Send PM

i can't believe you are posting about a car today. I haven't heard anything about cars. I am just today thinking I may have them in my minivan. I have been wondering what to do about it. The company I have used in the house said they can fumigate the car at their fumigation center, for $775.
    I don't know what to do because, i haven't found any in the car, so I am not sure they are even in there. I have vacuumed like crazy in there but there are so many places for a bug to hide.
    I am having a dog come sniff the house today. He will also sweep the car, although the company told me the dogs have not been trained for cars, so they don't know if it will be reliable.

15. 2manybb

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 10 2009 14:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

the bb sniffing dog just left and found nothing, His handler said the house is clean. I guess I can start my count down to 55 days. The dog didn't alert to anything in the minivan. The handler said the dog is not trained for cars so not sure if it is accurate

16. BuggyinLA

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 11 2009 14:18:02
    #

Login to Send PM

2manyBB: Is 55 days the amount of time they told you to wait before you really know that the bugs are gone, and are not coming back?

(I ask becaue we've been trying to figure that out ourselves, since we haven't been bitten in our apartment for two days now, but have no real idea when we'll know if the treatment was actually 100 percent successful.)

17. 2manybb

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2009 9:51:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I got 55 days from this forum.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,369 posts in 50,180 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993