Need positive identification and help

(19 posts)
  1. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 12:54:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Neighbor bombed downstairs and I had a ton of bugs a few days later. Started getting bit but only found one bug in bathroom. PCO came out and said I had nothing but treated my bedroom. Few days later got bit on my couch. PCO came back out 2 weeks later and stated he found bbs on the couch and treated. Nothing for a week until I came home and found bugs in my bathtub. Pretty sure they are bbs but PCO is coming back out on Monday. He states that he can't treat the neighbors without the management company telling him to. I've already spent over $150 in laundry, steamed my office and my car. I was just feeling safe to sleep in my bed again. I can't keep doing this. My hair is starting to fall out from all the stress. This has been going on for close to 2 months. I don't go anywhere and I won't have any one over. What can I do? How do I treat in the wall or the pipes?

2. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 12:56:10
    #

Login to Send PM

How do upload the pics I have?

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 12:57:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

See here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 13:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredy_cat - 27 minutes ago  » 
    How do upload the pics I have?

IMAG1143

5. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 13:24:47
    #

Login to Send PM

IMAG1140

6. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 13:25:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David for your help.

7. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 13:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, sorry, those are bed bugs. As you've probably guessed, the fact that you're finding them in your bathtub suggests that they are migrating over from a neighbor's unit. Unfortunately, unless their unit is treated, they will potentially continue to migrate. This isn't a problem that you can solve yourself. You might start by contacting your landlord and explaining the situation to him. Or alternatively, depending on your relationship, you might try talking to your neighbors directly. In any event, the offending unit is going to have to be treated if you want this problem to go away completely.

Good luck.

8. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 14:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Management states that they can't inspect the neighbors apartments without their permission. I don't know my neighbors as the one across the hall just moved out and so did the neighbor downstairs at the end of the hall. How can I convince management to take care of this? I can't keep not sleeping. It's effecting my job and my health.

9. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 14:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that's a tough situation. I can't imagine it's unique though. Hopefully, some of the PCOs or other posters with similar real world experiences will be able to offer you some advice.

10. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 14:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your help. I am going to wait until the PCO comes back on Monday and see what he suggests. But since he has already stated that he can't treat other apartments I can't imagine what he can do. I'm thinking about contacting the state and the health department. I can't afford to keep cleaning all of my clothes every week nor can I keep not sleeping. I might even try contacting a lawyer and suing to get out and have my expenses paid.

11. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 2 2013 15:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I cannot believe that. Look at your lease and see what it says about inspections. They may have to give notice first, but they can inspect. I would suspect that they are trying to skirt the issue. What they don't know about, they don't have to pay to treat.
    I would look into the laws in your area and find out what your rights are.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

S

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 3 2013 3:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree. I would be surprised if any laws anywhere would prevent landlords from inspecting a tenant's rental unit, when it's suspected they may have bed bugs or another problem requiring remediation.

It's more likely they don't want to pay as the last poster noted.

I hope they will come round to doing such an inspection, for their own sake, since it will save them money in the long run to nip this problem in the bud. (Actually, I first typed, "nip this problem in the bug," which is even better.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Nov 3 2013 20:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been reading this site since I first thought that I had bbs. First, I would like to thank everyone who replies to everyone who has questions. You guys are a wealth of information. Second, what does the flame by the side of my post mean? I'll let you guys know what the PCO says when he leaves tomorrow. Does anyone know if I can get a copy of what they give to management for recommendations?

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 4 2013 0:44:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You might ask the PCO about that if you see them. I think you have a legal right to see the slip where they write what chemicals were applied in your home and where, but not sure if you have a legal right to see other materials.

You can see materials in our resources page, coming from many local and state governments and other sources, telling landlords how to deal with bed bugs. You might find some of these are helpful in convincing him.

If this is the first time your landlord has dealt with the problem, there is often a learning curve. The PCO is very likely encouraging them to pay to inspect attached neighbors. The landlord may resist this, perhaps thinking the PCO is trying to make a bigger sale. It's understandable, but not so. (Yes, the PCO likely will charge more for these inspections, but in the end, if the problem is contained, the landlord will pay less overall.) The resources I pointed to you may make this clear.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 4 2013 0:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

There's also a judgment call to be made at some point as to whether you talk to others.

Some people with problems they know of try to hide them. They may or may not continue to do so if they know others have an issue.

Others may be suspicious that something is biting them -- or that "those aren't roaches" -- and knowing you have a problem may convince them to seek help. There's safety in numbers where bed bugs are concerned. Multiple people coming forward may make the landlord take more drastic action.

And if that fails, if you're in Chicago, I understand Metropolitan Tenants Assn has helped people organize their buildings when the landlord did not respond to bed bugs.

Hopefully it won't get to that point. Maybe it's still quite a small problem.

And do keep in mind sometimes talking to other people just pisses off the landlord (hence the judgment call).

16. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 4 2013 12:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Update - PCO came out and acted surprised that the bugs were in my bathroom. I showed him the bugs that I taped down. All he did was spray around the bathtub, walls of the bathroom, the sink (since it's outside the bathroom) and the wall leading to my bedroom. I asked him if he had inspected any surrounding apartments and he said no. I told him the neighbors moved out about 2 weeks ago and now I'm starting to see them again. He told me that I need to talk to management. It's been the same PCO all 4 times that he's been here. 1 for inspection that he stated that he didn't see any and I showed him the taped bug that was in the bathroom, once to treat my bedroom which I'm skeptical that he treated anything else since he said that he didn't see them, once to treat my couch 2 weeks after the bedroom because I told management that I got bit on the couch (and he actually found bedbugs on the couch) and now this time to treat the bathroom. I am going to use all the stuff that I've found on this website and take it to management with a letter asking what are they going to do to remedy this situation. I can't keep living like this. I haven't seen any bugs outside of the bathroom and I don't have any new bites but now I'm scratching like crazy. I will contact Metropolitan Tenants but since I'm in unincorporated Cook County I don't know what they can do for me. I will be contacting the Health Dept in the next few days as well.

17. scaredy_cat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 12 2013 20:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Another update: After sending the landlord a letter via certified mail, with IDPH print out about how to treat multi-unit dwellings, and then another letter stating that there are now bed bugs crawling down my wall, they have agreed to inspect all surrounding apartments. I don't think they are really going to do it but the PCO is supposed to come by my apartment on Monday. I will ask the PCO if he actually inspects the other apartments. I tried to talk to my upstairs neighbor but they won't answer the door. I currently have 6 bed bugs taped to the walls with the dates and times that I discovered them. Not sure that this is going to help but if they don't do something soon I'm contacting the news.

18. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 13 2013 8:48:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck and keep us posted!

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 13 2013 12:16:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Update - PCO came out and acted surprised that the bugs were in my bathroom. I showed him the bugs that I taped down. All he did was spray around the bathtub, walls of the bathroom, the sink (since it's outside the bathroom) and the wall leading to my bedroom. I asked him if he had inspected any surrounding apartments and he said no. I told him the neighbors moved out about 2 weeks ago and now I'm starting to see them again. He told me that I need to talk to management.

Obviously management doesn't understand much when it comes to bed bugs and the PCO they use really doesn't either. I'm sure management doesn't need permission to enter a tenant's apartment because the lease must allow for certain inspections regarding pests, plumbing leaks, electrical emergencies, etc.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago