Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Need Opinions and Advice for My Cheap, Chicken-shit Plan of Action!

(7 posts)
  1. StillSaneIThink

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 27 2013 1:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I've had bed bugs (that I've known of) since October of 2012 (It's now almost May of 2013). Because I am chicken-shit, and an occassionally incredibly stupid and irresponsible human being, with a freeze reaction to fear, I have failed to notify the management of my apartment. While I only occassionally get bitten or see bugs, by now its probably past that "mild" early-detection phase, especially since I live in a studio where the only other "rooms" are the bathroom and closet, making it near impossible to contain them to one area. I've seen at least one in every corner of my apartment. This means I will could possibly end up in some serious financial trouble if I notify management. Is it possible to play it off as if I didn't know what it was this whole time? I don't have tons of money to spend on my own extermination (I'd Mich rather use heat than chemicals because I have a lot of stuff that needs saving), and management has failed pretty miserably to take care of other, easier pest problems effectively. After doing some fairly extensive research on how to just keep the problem at a tolerable level, I have decided that with my current situation, the best way to eventually combat the problem is to use methods like DE and, frequent vaccuuming, laundering (high heat of course), and keeping my bed in a bed bug bag as well as isolating the bed with sticky traps under the posts. Then, when I can finally move, move what I need and just steam the crap outta everything right away. Seem like a workable plan? I welcome all opinions and advice reguarding my regrettably dishonest, but only seemingly workable plan given my current situation and financial ability. Thanks!

2. hayden87

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 27 2013 1:46:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I can relate to the lack of funds to choose the treatments I would prefer. Are you saying that management won't pay for the situation because you've waited so long to alert them? I think that if possible, you should still alert them and have them call a PCO. I think even though we non-professionals can definitely help to lower numbers, professionals are needed to eliminate the problem. I also don't think you should let the infestation get worse which is definitely a possibility without a PCO...but I'm not a professional, just a personal opinion.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 27 2013 2:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Do local laws say landlords pay for treatment?

If so, it may not be an issue.

Keep in mind you're probably legally obliged to report a pest problem to the landlord.

People notice bed bugs at different levels. Some people don't react to bites. How many bed bugs have you seen?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. buggedandbuggin

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Apr 27 2013 16:04:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I would also start decluttering as much as you can. It'll help you prep for when you do move & the less you take with you will lessen the chance of you bringing bugs with you.

And see if there ARE any options to get a PCO over to treat your place. Sounds pretty awful! Use this board for any support. There are great people out there with great advice to give. Steam will work okay, but I still wouldn't trust it.

5. StillSaneIThink

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 28 2013 0:17:33
    #

Login to Send PM

The decluttering is is definitely happening little by little as I find tome to do it. As far as notifying my landlord, I am still considering it, but cannot afford to pay a PCO should they require me to. I don't think they are required to handle bed bugs at their expense by law, since I remember when I accompanied my mom to sign the lease on her new apartment and they mentioned that since the unit was checked and passed as pest-free, she would be responsible to to remove bed bugs herself.
    And just thought I should mention that I work as a merchandise processor for Goodwill, which means I'm constantly handing the good, the bad, and the downright disgusting donations daily. I'm quite sure that's how I got the problem. It happened almost as soon as I moved from cashier to processor :/. Just today, we had a chair donated that was totally infested, like those nasty pictires that show up on Google. Never seen my boss act like such a pussy lol!

6. StillSaneIThink

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 28 2013 0:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Then again, I think they may have been in the building already, since one of the first ones I saw was HUGE!! No way that snuck onto my clothing without being noticed.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 28 2013 0:40:30
    #

Login to Send PM

StillSaneIThink - 6 minutes ago  » 
    As far as notifying my landlord, I am still considering it, but cannot afford to pay a PCO should they require me to. I don't think they are required to handle bed bugs at their expense by law, since I remember when I accompanied my mom to sign the lease on her new apartment and they mentioned that since the unit was checked and passed as pest-free, she would be responsible to to remove bed bugs herself.

If this was verbally stated or is added to the lease, it may not be legal. A local tenants' organization (or lawyer or free or low cost legal aid service) should be able to tell you if this lease provision is legal.

I just noticed in your profile that you're in Arizona.

There's a new law there as of 2011. Read about it on Bedbugger and here (SB1306 full text).

It requires tenants to report bed bug problems to the landlord:

"A TENANT WHO KNOWS OF THE PRESENCE OF BEDBUGS SHALL PROVIDE THE LANDLORD WRITTEN OR ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATION OF THE PRESENCE OF BEDBUGS. "

(It's written as such. I did not add the caps.)

The City of Phoenix website says (re: bed bugs),

Tenants of residences not managed by the city of Phoenix should work with their landlord to remedy the situation. If unresolved, visit the Maricopa County Environmental Services website for more information or to file an online complaint or call 602-506-6616.

In addition, the Maricopa County Environmental Services website
    suggests the agency can be called to bring property owners into compliance if they don't eliminate bed bugs:
    http://www.maricopa.gov/EnvSvc/QC/Enforcement/Bedbugs.aspx

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,682 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982