Need non-visual way to ID BB's

(6 posts)
  1. StillLiving

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 23:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm trying not to freak out and also not to write my whole long story but to whittle it down to things people can actually help with.
    First, I need help diagnosing or prooving I have bed bugs. Or figuring out what else it could be. I had actually thought I'd had scabies and treated it myself rather than go through what I've been through before when doctors take too long to figure it out.
    But it didn't really act like scabies and didn't respond to my foolish attempt to treat scabies.
    I'm blind so I can't use the visuals that people are using to identify the bugs. I was reading about bed bugs and one person described the young ones as d being the size of poppy seeds. that's what I've been feeling. My bed will be clean and ten minutes later there are little poppy seeds scattered around me

and ten minutes later they are on my body and if I brush them off or vacuum them up, ten minutes later there are more. Then today I lay on my bed briefly to

rest. When I got up I pulled something I thought was a bit of dropped food off my shirt and it squashed between my fingers and had a kind of funny smell -

not sure how to say this but it smelled like a bug. It would be nice if all the descriptions could include "what they feel like". If there was someone out

there in NYC who'd be willing to come over and see if they could see any bugs or the signs, like the blood stains. I'm sure there's something I could do in barter for this help.
    All this activity is at night, not during the day. I have chronic insomnia under normal circumstances, so I'm awake for whoever is having a feast on me in the wee hours.
    I ordered some bed bug covers hoping that either it wouldn't help and therefore mean there was a different problem, or that they would and that would help me prove and get help for them. I'm waiting for them to arrive.
    The bites: so far I've gotten one large mosquito like bite that turned into a large rough dry patch, about half a dozen kind of raised lines that almost bubbled on top, were itchy and broke open as I scratched. a few much tinier hard bumps, And a lot of generalized itchiness, some of it probably due to beeing creeped out.
    I'm planning on calling the building's manager tomorrow. But I'm not sure what to say or ask for - can I request a PCO to evaluate? Is that something I need to do on my own? [something deleted at user's request] I'm stressed about this and want to start the ball rolling as quickly as possible. But would it be better for me, to first get one of those monitors, like the climbup interceptor or the beacon monitor? although not extremely expensive, I don't really have the funds.

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 23:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

A few questions.

I dont know if this is relevant, but are you fully blind or blind in the eyes of the law?

There are many pictures available of bedbug nests on the site and on flickr.
    Can your daughter help you by reading up on them and inspecting, then take pictures of your bed area (if she finds anything) for you to post?

What you describe, the amount of them strikes a red flag. Most people dont notice those amounts unless theyve got an incredibly heavy infestation.

Maybe see if you can hire a bed bug sniffing dog?

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 5:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm blind so I can't use the visuals that people are using to identify the bugs. I was reading about bed bugs and one person described the young ones as d being the size of poppy seeds. that's what I've been feeling. My bed will be clean and ten minutes later there are little poppy seeds scattered around me and ten minutes later they are on my body and if I brush them off or vacuum them up, ten minutes later there are more. Then today I lay on my bed briefly to rest. When I got up I pulled something I thought was a bit of dropped food off my shirt and it squashed between my fingers and had a kind of funny smell - not sure how to say this but it smelled like a bug.

The poppy seed type things and feeling them in the bed has nothing to do with bed bugs. The odor that you describe, possibly like coriander or citronella (if you are familiar with them), is quite distinctive for bed bugs and this could be what you smelled from a squished bug that produced large amounts of alarm pheromone.
    You should have the building management bring in a professional and in this way you wouldn't have this out of pocket expense (at least for an evaluation). If there are many insects, your PMP/PCO shouldn't have any trouble locating and identifying the pests.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 5:34:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually let me clarify what I just posted. Wasn't sure if the poppy seed like things were hard and gritty which is something that isn't really bed bug related. If, however, the poppy seed type things are tiny insects in this size range, then these could be first instar nymphs that you brush away but they keep returning to feed. Due to your limited vision (you describe some things visually, so I assume you have limited vision or people have described what they have seen in your apartment or on you and told you), a bed bug population could be extremely high in your home. So obtaining the services of your building management staff and the pest controller will be extremely important.

5. StillLiving

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 15 2010 0:54:13
    #

Login to Send PM

[something deleted at user's request] i re-read my post and can't find a single visual reference so I'm not clear what someone thinks I can see. But I can feel these things. It seems something the size of a poppy seed would be too small to feel what kind of insect it is, but if they don't feel hard, what *do* they feel like?

I isolated my bed on Tuesday and had a great sleep Tuesday night. So much so that I woke up yesterday wondering if I really was imagining things. It totally confounds me why this worked as I imagine that most of the bugs are living in the mattress and box springs. Well, tonight they're back in full force and I squashed another big one. Corriander is exactly the smell. It's hard to imagine I let it get this bad but for some miraculous reason I'm perhaps not extremely allergic to whatever causes itching.

It's also a miracle I haven't freaked out worse than I have. [something deleted at user's request] I really am staying calm. When I started to freak out, I thought about all the mosquito bites I used to get as a kid. We live with mosquitos around all the time and deal with keeping them from biting as best we can without freaking out if we can't iradicate them. And they * can* spread disease. We also live with thousands of microscopic organisms that feed off of us, they're just smaller than the bed bugs. And whenever I start to freak about the bed bugs, I think of that larger reality, that we already coexist with all sorts of insects and other parasitic creatures. And that amazingly works to calm me down.

Well, perhaps I got to calm as I spent most of the day not sure I wasn't imagining them and so didn't call the building manager yet. However, I've already got a collection of bites tonight so I report the darn things tomorrow. Wish me luck that the manager takes me seriously.

6. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 15 2010 10:01:13
    #

Login to Send PM

StillLiving - 9 hours ago  » 
    It's also a miracle I haven't freaked out worse than I have. [something deleted at StillLiving's request] I really am staying calm. When I started to freak out, I thought about all the mosquito bites I used to get as a kid. We live with mosquitos around all the time and deal with keeping them from biting as best we can without freaking out if we can't iradicate them. And they * can* spread disease. We also live with thousands of microscopic organisms that feed off of us, they're just smaller than the bed bugs. And whenever I start to freak about the bed bugs, I think of that larger reality, that we already coexist with all sorts of insects and other parasitic creatures. And that amazingly works to calm me down.

That's an awesome way of looking at it!! Hopefully that concept could help calm others on our board....they suck, they are gross, but they're also survivable.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs