need moral support for opening sealed laptop, camera, etc

(4 posts)
  1. readingrainbow

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 14:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I managed to survive a bedbug outbreak in South America by not taking anything back to the US with me except things that were sealed in plastic bags. I've been removing, cleaning, and treating everything in the bags systematically, and so far, so good: no bites (I'm very allergic) or any other evidence in 2 months.

The only things left are some huge reference books I didn't want to put in an oven and my laptop and camera, which have been placed in an airtight plastic storage tote for 3 weeks with a Hot Shot. I'm pretty sure the bugs traveled with me in South America via laptop or camera (long story - just trust me on this one). Should I open it???

I realize the first question is going to be 'how do you know the tote is airtight?' Well, when I put my nose up to it and smell it when it's closed, I can't smell anything. When I open it, my head starts throbbing and I feel like I'm going to pass out.

I know the DDVP in an airtight bag or box has been used by other people to treat electronics, but has there been a confirmed case of someone who saw the bedbugs in their laptop, put them in with DDVP, opened it, and everything was fine? I'm really considering just buying a new cheap HP laptop for like $300 and storing everything for 18 months, then selling my nice potentially infested Apple laptop to try to get a little money back. I really, really do not want to bring bedbugs into my home in the US.

Thanks, maybe just looking for moral support more than anything.

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 29 2011 12:41:14
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have a fairly accurate electric oven, you could gently heat the laptop upto 45oC and leave it for an hour or so. The laptop will survive much higher temperatures than that but bugs should start to die at about 40oC.

If you do that, consider checking your oven temperature with a thermometer first!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 29 2011 13:14:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard_Naylor - 32 minutes ago  » 
    If you have a fairly accurate electric oven, you could gently heat the laptop upto 45oC and leave it for an hour or so. The laptop will survive much higher temperatures than that but bugs should start to die at about 40oC.
    If you do that, consider checking your oven temperature with a thermometer first!

40C = 104 F

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 29 2011 13:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

DDVP strips are designed to do what you did with them, ie, seal up items for a few weeks and bugs & hatched nymphs die. As you understand, a tight seal is needed to protect you. Air circulation is needed inside the sealed container for penetration of the object. I'm not an expert, but would guess that after this treatment, your relatively hollow electronics should likely be "done." As for the books, perhaps open it, shake out and inspect over a bathtub or other surface where you can observe and intercept any stragglers. Pay attention to the hollow space behind the spine. Best of luck.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19