NEED HELP...CHILDREN BEING BIT

(6 posts)
  1. pvroman8585

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 10 2013 21:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I am completely out of ideas and it looks like there are people here who are helpful in these situations.
    I have twin 8 year old boys who came to me and my wife about 3 weeks to a month ago with itchy red spots on them. At first we didn't think much of it since they had been playing in a nearby park and only had a handful between the two of them. We put come cream on them and no complaints. a few days later they were in bed and said they had been bit. (they felt nothing crawling on them and never felt pain from a bite, only itching). As the days went by more and more kept appearing at random spots around their body mostly back hips and ankles. no more than 3 (not closely grouped) but in all came to around 18 bites on each of them at the max. We then let them sleep in the living room for a few days and the bites started going away. We took that time to clean their room, wash their sheets and spray the room down with a bug spray, also sprayed everything down with Lysol. two nights ago we set their room back up and let them sleep in there and they had not a single bite on them, but this morning only one of the boys had bites on him, about 5 spread on his hip and thigh.
    We have tried a lot of things and are completely baffled by this. We have accused the dog of bringing fleas into their room. We had found only one in there, we then gave the dog a flea bath and had a bunch come off of him and then thoroughly cleaned their room but they continued to get bit afterwards, but what didn't make sense to us was they the dog sleeps on me and my wife's bed and we don't have a single bite on us.
    We thought it may be spiders since we had found a few in there but we have kept looking and not finding anything.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts about this problem please help. This is only happening to our children and I don't want them to go through this anymore.

2. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 10 2013 22:30:49
    #

Login to Send PM

This can happen if it is fleas. I know it because I get bit by every biting insect that gets near me, but my husband never, ever gets bit by anything. I don't know why this is, but it has happened for the entire 15 years we have been married. Some people are just more attractive or susceptible to bites. And then there are people who do not have the same reactions, so it may look like they are not getting bitten.

That being said, if it is fleas then you have to do more than give your pet a bath. Fleas do not live on the pet...they visit to get a meal, but spend most of their time and do their breeding in the carpets and on the floors. You need to treat the dog with a GOOD vet recommended flea medication. This will kill any of the fleas that jump up on the dog and interrupt the blood meal they need to survive. They prefer the animals to humans. Then continually vacuum and clean the floors. That is what I did when we had the problem and it really worked. And since then, as long as we kept our dogs treated during the flea season, we have not had any more of problem.

Good luck.

S

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 10 2013 23:15:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear pvro,

Some comments for your review and consideration:

> While I appreciate the comments and well intended efforts of newbie, above is posted some incorrect information regarding fleas which will be addressed below.

> Firstly, lets make damn sure the kids are being bitten by fleas and nothing else.

1. Inspect their beds and bed frames for telltale signs of bed bugs.
    2. Set up a self fashioned flea trap in those rooms where you suspect fleas and where the kids are being bitten. Net search how to do this, it's easy.

> Adult fleas tend to stay on the pet ! There, they feed, lay eggs, defecate and have a good time feeding.

> It may take a number of flea shampoos to totally "de-flea" your dog or cat and you MUST be thorough when doing so.

> ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW PESTICIDE LABEL DIRECTIONS ! (Note that flea shampoos and on animal flea products are pesticides.)

> You can remove a lot of fleas by thorough vacuuming.

> Fleas have the ability to build large populations in a short period of time so you need to get after it.

> Read up on flea control so you are better prepared to take care of this situation effectively.

Let me know if any additional questions or concerns.

Good luck, hope this helps ! paul b.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 11 2013 2:21:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Flea trap instructions are here:
    http://bedbugger.com/2012/11/09/faq-do-i-have-fleas-or-bed-bugs/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 11 2013 8:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the assist there NBs !

6. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 11 2013 18:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

You are right PB.

I was just going by what I was told by my dog groomer when I had the problem. However, even though she was a bit misinformed, her advice worked for me and I haven't had a problem since.

I hope Pvroman finds source of the bites and the solution to end them.

S

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams