Need help with ID [a: larval carpet beetle shed skins]

(8 posts)
  1. Rds72

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 8:35:04
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I have been overcome with fear that there may be bed bugs in my home. We traveled to Florida in early August and stayed in two different hotels. I checked all of the beds and found nothing. No one had any bites or reactions while away. The day after we returned from the trip, we had new carpet installed in every room on our second floor. Our house had been in dissaray bc of the installation, the guys were in and out of the house a million times that day. The morning following the installation, I noticed a bite on my upper back. I went to the gym that morning and notice a few more bites on my shoulder. About two days later, I found two more together on my back. Strange, since I always sleep with a t-shirt covering my back. I also spent time outside with my kids.Since it is August, I thought maybe mosquitos. About a week later, I felt like I got bit while outside on my forearm and had that "mosquito reaction" where the bite started white and raised, then turned red. That night I found another on my back. The next morning, I had 4 bites on my left hip. Again, I always sleep in pants and a t-shirt, but I still freaked out. My husband was getting frustrated, so he told me to call an exterminator to search for bed bugs. The inspector took my bed apart and searched the bed, box spring and frame, finding no signs. He said that he did find carpet beetles and showed me a couple that were hanging out on my mattress. We had them come back to spray for the beetles last week.

I went about 10 days without any new bites. Two days ago, I found a bright red blood smear on my top sheet in the morning, so of course, I freaked. Could not see any bites on me anywhere. My one nostril had been bloody that morning and my cat had scratched himself raw and bleeding on his ear, so my husband tried to reason with me that these could be the causes. I tore my entire bed, box spring, etc apart, inspected it with a flash light, checked my end tables, electrical sockets, etc. I found a bunch of these skins in the bed frame, which I am hoping are from the carpet beetles. Please help!

https://imgur.com/a/KFur5

That night I found two more bites on my back, which again, was covered by a shirt. I also found a bite yesterday on my knee, which had been covered by spandex pants. I am really confused bc all of my bites, except for the one I felt myself get on my forearm while outside, have been on parts of my body that are covered by clothes when I sleep. No one else in my family is getting bit. I have always been the one in my family that gets eaten alive by mosquitos or flies while no one else gets anything. If my arms, hands, neck, face and feet are exposed ever night, why would I only be getting bites on covered places?

I have completely gone around the bend with this and my husband is not happy with me. He thinks I am being irrational and developing a phobia when nothing has been substantiated. We had the inspector who said there was nothing but carpet beetles. Did I mention that my husband travels quite a bit for work and stays in hotels? He is not nearly as diligent with checking his rooms as I am. Anyway, I can't sleep and I am totally consumed with fear that we may have them. It is causing much tension in my home.

2. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 8:59:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I definitely understand the paranoia! My husband also often tells me I am being irrational. Summer is always hard for me as bites from bugs other than bed bed bugs (like mosquitos, ants, flies, etc.) happen often. There was a period in my life where I was checking my son, husband and self daily for bites for fear that we MIGHT get bed bugs. I was driving myself and everyone else crazy. I have really tried to learn to take a deep breath. If there are no signs other than the bites you have and you have also had a professional tell you there is nothing there, try to relax a little. Hopefully an expert will ID your picture for you soon!

3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 9:17:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't see anything bedbug related. If you do weekly mattress inspections, that should ease your anxiety.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. Rds72

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 9:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Jim. Do the skins look like carpet beetles to you?

5. Rds72

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 9:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paranoid 80 for your reassurances. I am an anxious person and tend to become obsessive about things. I have been inspecting every inch of my body several times a day. Every bump, pimple, discoloration puts me on edge. I have actually picked at innocuous bumps on my skin to the point that they became inflamed. I know that I have gotten out of control with this. I just keep replaying in my head, "What if the inspector was wrong? What if he didn't check well enough? What if we checked too early to find anything?!" My husband and I have been together forever and he has seen me get like this over other things, so he is getting very upset and frustrated with me. He wants me to go to a therapist. I can see where he is coming from and am strongly considering it. If in the end, we do find out that there are bed bugs, I need to be able to cope with the realities that come with them. If we really don't have them, I need to shake this phobia that is starting to grow on me.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 11:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Rds72 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you, Jim. Do the skins look like carpet beetles to you?

Larval carpet beetle shed skins.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Rds72

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 11:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou! That's what I thought!

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 6 2016 2:06:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Rds72 - 14 hours ago  » 
    Thanks, Lou! That's what I thought!

Have faith in your ID skills.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69