(7 posts)
  1. DontNeedThisCrap

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 1 2017 17:23:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So, here's my story.

Last year I got engaged. In order to save money, my fiance moved into a cheap house with roommates and I started boarding at another house. In a matter of days, one of his roommates started getting bit. We all thought it was from his stay at a super sketchy cabin. Fast forward several months, their place was infested and I didn't really find out until one crawled over me while I was sitting on their couch. I never came back to their house, wouldn't let my fiance ride in my car and wouldn't ride in his. For months, I pressured them to call their landlord and PCO, but they went the self-treat route and only made the problem worse.

I am a boarder - with this super sweet landlady - so everything I own is in one room, my bedroom. For months, I monitored everything I could. Checked my mattress every time I changed the sheets, checked beneath my bed once a month, even rigged a CO2 trap. Nada. Then, a few weeks ago, one of my fiance's roommates car broke down in a bad part of town and I was the only one he could get a hold of. Since I'm not a total ass, I immediately picked him up. Fast forward to two nights ago, during one of my routine checks I finally turned up what I was dreading, a nymph. I found another nymph beneath my pillow this morning. What makes this hole situation even worse: I am getting married in a month and moving into the really nice apartment my fiance and I saved for over a year to get in ONE WEEK. Great, now I'm even more stressed.

So, I am telling my landlady what I found tonight. I am hopeful that this is an early stage infestation as I have yet to find any blood, excrement, casings, or an adult. I will be tearing apart my room tonight to check over everything. I have already torn apart my car and am fairly certain it is clean.

The good news is that I caught it before I moved and that I don't own any furniture. My current plan is to rent a storage unit and move everything I own to there. Over the next few weeks, I will be treating my books/electronics/shoes/random crap with Nuvan strips and then moving them in to the apartment in stages as they are finished with the treatment. The only things that will be coming with me to the new apartment is my clothes, linens, and other things I can heat treat in the dryer. If I see any signs of bedbugs in the new place, I have already arranged to get a loan from my mom to call in a PCO. I am NOT repeating the mistake my fiance and his roommates made.

Alright, so there is the plan I have thus far. Any tips or advice for how to handle this and not implode with the stress of everything at once?

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 1 2017 18:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you have things covered. Be careful about shoes and purses, backpacks, book bags.

We showered and dressed in the bathroom at the old place before heading to the new place. Even though our shoes were treated in the dryer I still sprayed 92% alcohol on them before getting in the car. We did this for every trip back & forth.

Good luck!

3. DontNeedThisCrap

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Mar 1 2017 20:24:39
    #

Login to Send PM

My earlier estimate that this was an early infestation is likely wrong. My landlady and I just tore apart my room and found a colony living inside a tear in the boxspring that I didn't realize was there. Now I'm really paranoid.

How likely is it that they've spread to my car and I missed finding evidence when I went through it?

4. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Mar 2 2017 1:50:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Could you post some pictures of the bugs and possibly the harbourage? Also do not throw anything away as it could spread the infestation in your home. But if you do, wrap the furniture tightly in plastic and seal it. Remember to write on the furniture with marker that it has bed bugs so no one picks it up and takes it home.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  5. DontNeedThisCrap

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 14:51:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't own any furniture, everything belongs to my landlady so it is her decision what to do with the stuff. All of the stuff that I will be throwing away is misc. crap that can fit into trash bags. I will be double bagging everything in strong contractors bags and then sealing the openings with duct tape. The trash will be taken out a few hours before trash pickup to ensure that they do not sit on the curb very long. We live out in the woods (one of those weird southern cities where I can live in the woods and still make it downtown to work in 30 mins) and the neighbors aren't very close, so I am hoping that spreading won't be an issue.

Here are some pics of the bed bugs I have found. So far, I have seen and killed 7 live bugs in various life stages. Most of them appeared to have fed, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't react to the bites (besides that paranoia itching).

6. DontNeedThisCrap

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 14:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops, accidentally posted the last picture twice. Here is the other one I meant to post.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 22:22:05
    #

Login to Send PM

No furniture sounds like you can treat this as you move. Everything that can go through the dryer goes through the dryer, anything else is closely inspected and if still concerned sealed in plastic to deal with after you're settled. You did catch it early, good job keeping an eye out, this shouldn't change things drastically, just a little more attention when moving but not anything that you can't handle.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson