need Help

(11 posts)
  1. gecko2008

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 11:07:49
    #

Login to Send PM

How can I effectively treat bed bugs with a cat and an 11 month old baby without having to stay somewhere temporarily while the bugs die i am worried about my son because me and my husband are covered in bites however we have yet to find the bugs. Also if i can not find where they are coming from and breeding then how can i start to get rid of them, and do i have to get rid of all my stuff like clothes and blankets bed, couches, and crib ? If so are there groups out there to help with the cost of replacing all of that important stuff cause with my current bills and baby i cant even begin to afford new stuff. If anyone has any answers for me can you please PM me or post back I'm very terrified over this whole thing.
    -very concerned mother

2. chicagobugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 14:38:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I can relate to your fears with your baby...Our biggest concern through all this time, money and stress has been our 8 month old son...Have you read up on isolating a bed? We did this to our sons crib. While it wont get rid of teh bed bugs, it will help your mental health and help to keep them from biting your baby while they sleep..We are still batteling these bugs and it has been close to 7 months...My advice is if you get an exterminator, make sure they specialize or at least have worked with bed bugs...ask for some bed bug references. We did not do this and have wasted tons of money and time with a usless exterminator...Bugs are worse than before and they have come to spray countless times...I just found this site and reading tips has helped me a bit and at least helped me to see that I am not alone in this nightmare!!!

3. chicagobugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 14:40:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah, we also have baby, two cats and a dog so are dealing with the same fears over their saftey...

4. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 15:37:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Start with a professional inspection to confirm or deny the presence of bed bugs. If a human can't find anything think about a K-9 inspection.

If it is available in your area, Thermal Treatment from either a Thermal Remediation provider or a Thermapure licensee can avoid the use of pesticides and (most) time you are back into your home by late evening.

Best of Luck
    Tony Canevaro

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 15:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

You have to make sure it is bed bugs. Other problems can cause similar symptoms (scabies, folliculitus, fleas, mites, to name a few).

If a human cannot find a bed bug, as BakedBedBugs said, a bed bug sniffing k9 might.

Thermal treatment is an option and is a quick fix.

Some PCOs use steam which will take longer (multiple visits) and probably require a dust application. It may be less costly than thermal.

None of these will help if you do not have bed bugs!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 15:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ps if you're in a multi-unit building, you must get the building management involved. In some places, landlords are required to pay for treatment. If this is the case there, they may be willing to work with you on appropriate treatments with a child under 1 in the home.

If it is bed bugs and neighbors have them (and they may have no idea, may not have reported them, etc.) then you cannot fight this if they are not getting help also.

7. gecko2008

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2008 19:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks guys does anyone know a good k9 unit in the Toronto-Barrie Ont area, If so has anyone used them?

8. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 25 2008 12:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You can call Purity Pest Control (in Vaughan/Toronto) he's the only K9 in Ontario that I know of.

9. gecko2008

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 11:56:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much

10. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Nov 26 2008 19:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Try to isolate the baby's crib before they get to him. Look at FAQ's to see how to isolate a bed. If they aren't already there it will be much easier. Read some old threads, especially success stories to see what you can do.

11. machineitall

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 27 2008 16:19:20
    #

Login to Send PM

The thermal remediation works! There is a company that just started these treatments and they are based in Troy, MI. Check them out. I talked to them and they are having really great results. I saw them this past week on FOX2 news.

It only takes 6-8 hours, but depends on the size and layout of your home. No chemicals or pesticides!

Ridder Thermal Management
    ridderthermal.com

Best of Luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur