Need Guidance Please [re: isolating bed with tarp]

(12 posts)
  1. Sleeping with the Enemy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 16:57:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I need some assistance! I called maintenance or my building. Took em 3 days to come check. Yes, I have em. So do 3 other apartments. They're scheduled for hear treatment. They won't get to me until Thursday at least.
    Thank you to those who responded to my other thread.
    The maint guy who "checked" sprayed Bedlam on my mattress, headboard, footboard, in crevices, box spring, but he didn't lift the box spring or treat the frame. At least not yet.
    I did spread diatamaceous earth, before & after, tho I realize I shouldn't have put it anywhere on top of where he put it. I have no income, waiting to hear if disability is approved. Meanwhile I am at the mercy of the apartment complex which is government housing. I don't know who else to call, but the residents are all physically & or mentally handicapped. We all need help getting rid of these. I'm told that the health dept in OH doesn't even recognize this as a health issue.
    So here's my game plan!
    I washed & bagged some laundry in XL ziplock bags.
    There's a light fixture above my bed. I'm on the 6th floor. There are 13 floors.
    I don't wanna chance them coming from that light fixture.
    I plan to cover it with a garbage bag & tape it so that there are no folds outside the tape line. Will this work??
    I also bought a big roll of plastic drop cloth. 20x25. Because I have a queensize bed & mattress is pillowtop on both sides... I plan to cover my entire bed, headboard, footboard, leave the plastic hanging about 2 inches from the floor all around. Is 20x25 big enough?
    It's "3.5 mil" thick plastic. Is that thick enough to keep them from biting me??
    I plan to wrap that plastic tarp all over & around my bed & secure by tying twine. Will I need to tape over the twine? Will they be able to crawl up the plastic? It won't be touching the floor, but it will be tied around the bedposts.
    I cut 4 2-liter bottles in half. Put DE inside them & sat each leg of bed inside.
    Dusted inside & out with powder. I will set each of those "contained legs" on clay flower pot saucers. Also dusted with DE.
    Then I'm going to make 4 2-liter bottles into CO2 traps using sugar, dry yeast, & lukewarm water. I plan to sit each bottle inside a talced cool whip bowl. I will poke a hole in the caps & tent them with a cut up garbage bag so the co2 goes down to te cool whip bowl & hopefully suckers them in.
    Questions:
    Is the tarp big enough?
    Will covering the light fixture with plastic & tape work?
    Should I tape the ceiling above my bed too? I hear its too slippery for em to get past.
    How long does DE take to kill em? I spread it lightly but didn't kill many or any that I can tell.
    Should I do the plastic tarp thing now or wait til They heat me up? I can't sleep there now & am afraid they'll only spread out in search of me!
    Should I wrap the plastic around each bedpost, tie, & place tape below the twine? Will that keep em down???
    Is 3.5 mil thick enough to keep em from biting thru plastic drop cloth?
    Does Bedlam work? Is it avail to the public? Seemed to work on direct contact... When maint man sprayed mattress creases...
    Are they in my carpet? When I take a shower I have to walk past the bed to get out the door, are they able to hitch a ride? Can I prevent that? How?
    Any & all advice is very much appreciated. Please. Am I doing ok? Heading in the right direction?
    Thank you for any guidance you can give!!!
    This really does cause high anxiety & PTSD & yes I'm calling my doctor tomorrow
    ~ Sleeping with the enemy

2. Sleeping with the Enemy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 17:31:44
    #

Login to Send PM

*Heat treatment

3. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 19:35:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, I gotta say you are in way better spirits than last time you posted!, lot's of energy to fight this!! keep it up, you will win

I can only answer a couple of things because I'm no expert PCO, but yes you can buy Bedlam, there is Bedlam plus even which is better

Paul Bello (an expert here who is really good at helping folks out with no money treat on their own) could probably tell you how to set up this plastic tarp you got, I think he has a way where he places it between the boxspring and the mattress, look for posts by him

How long does DE take to kill em? I spread it lightly but didn't kill many or any that I can tell.

it's a slow process, gotta be patient with that, did you check out the FAQ on DE from the site?

They won't get to me until Thursday at least.

we are almost there, put on your positive glasses, hey maybe Thursday this will all be over

good thing you are seeing the doc, get him to give you some sleeping aid (make sure it's OK with other meds you might be on)

look at all those things you are doing!
    them buggers don't stand a chance

Courage in the face of adversity, now that's what I'm talking about!

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  4. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 22:09:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you are feeling better, Sleeping with the E. You can do it.

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2014 2:55:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Sw/tE,
    I am glad you started a new thread, and it sounds like things are more positive at this point, which is good.

Some questions:

• By heat, do you mean they're doing structural heat treatment (heating entire affected units to 140F for 4+ hours) or using something like steam?
    • Did the management or PCO give you any prep instructions?
    • Is the treatment being done by a pest control firm or the building management?

I don't know about the tarp idea, but if you're getting treatment Thursday, I would suggest not trying to do too much besides kill (or better yet, collect and save) bed bugs you actually see.

If they're doing a structural heat treatment, and they know how to do it correctly, these are supposed to kill all the bed bugs (though often PCOs will supplement with sprays/dusts because heat alone isn't always enough).

Applying your own dusts or sprays isn't recommended when you have a PCO coming in. And DE takes 10 days to kill bed bugs once they walk through it -- if they walk through it -- and may not be effective as a sole treatment. Most people also misapply or over apply it, which can cause harm to your health as well as not help with killing bed bugs. See our DE FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Sleeping with the Enemy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2014 11:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The plastic was an effort to isolate my bed. My cousin reluctantly agreed to come help me put it on. It covers the whole bed, headboard, footboard, & is 2 inches off the floor. But he didn't see the need to tape off the light fixture or tape around the ceiling. One hr later there was one crawling on TOP of the plastic. I thought they couldn't crawl up? Unless he dropped from the light fixture!
    The maint guy for the building supposedly holds a degree & is a PCO. He handles all infestations for the 4 public housing buildings. He is not al outside Pest Control Company, he is "in house, on site maint man that fixes other maint problems too.
    They have only one heat unit ' they're heat treating each affected unit.
    My only instruction was to empty & bag contents of dressers. And to sleep in my own bed. I Can Not Do That!!!! I just can't. I know it won't help... But I can't.
    Thank you for responding... All of you. Your emotional support is priceless.

7. jmac

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2014 16:00:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleeping with the enemy I sent you a PM. I am sending you another one. Then I probably wont be back here for quite a while. I have lived through what you are going through. I can offer a solution.
    jmac

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2014 19:58:51
    #

Login to Send PM

jmac - 3 hours ago  » 
    Sleeping with the enemy I sent you a PM. I am sending you another one. Then I probably wont be back here for quite a while. I have lived through what you are going through. I can offer a solution.
    jmac

jmac,
    If you have a "solution", please go ahead and post it publicly so others can see it.
    If it is good, others will benefit.
    If it is not good advice, which unfortunately we see all too often around here, then those with more experience will be able to weigh in on it.

Sw/tE, I would be wary of anyone sending you advice in private messages unless they're known to be experts in the field.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2014 6:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sleeping with the Enemy,

While I appreciate you are trying to do the best you can before help arrives I can only explain to you what we would do in this setting.

If a client had been told to do nothing but maybe some physical removal with sticky tape and yet we found a home treated and prepped in the way you are discussing we would simply walk and not return to the case.

If you leave an infestation undisturbed until the day of treatment the results are much better and you are effectively paying for the service your receive, i.e. the professional help and assistance as well as their experience.

The main reason why we ask people to do nothing is that if you don't there is always a risk they will make the matter worse and thus make it harder to treat.

You also need to STOP, DROP, (roll if needed) and read the FAQs because the questions you have asked at the end of your post and covered in there as well as the reasons why some of those steps are overkill.

Having bedbugs is hard enough without the added hassle of trashing your place doing things that are just not needed.

Hope that helps and if you need a skype chat I can make some time available but I would rather focus on helping your develop coping strategies than your attempts to do things that may make things worse.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  10. Sleeping with the Enemy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2014 15:49:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Me Cain, thank you or the advice. I was told to empty dressers & start doing laundry & bagging. I was also told to continue sleeping in my bed, which I cannot do. I thought isolating the bed with plastic would allow me to continue sleeping there but it didn't work. One was atop of the plastic within 2 hours of covering it. I am going down to get more laundry. I can't stay there. I'm doing nothin more than getting my laundry so I can wash, hot, dry, hot, then dry again... Bag em & take to my mom's. I shower & put clean clothe on before I leave my apt.
    All I want is to get a few things out tht I can't live without. Namely, pictures, & clothes, medications & a few personal items. That's all I want. In leaving the rest, they can so whatever they want with it. I can't go back there. I only want to ensure that I don't bring them with me. That's all I want. I'm losing damn near everything I own but I don't even care. I just have to get out of there.
    I've read the FAQ but also admittedly I can't think straight on no sleep. I can't find anywhere how to ensure I'm not harboring a hitchiker when I exit my apt. I shower, dress, & leave, but pick up garbage bags that have been sitting there sealed, but are they hiding on the outside?
    I called maint today to ask when mine wa being heat treated they couldn't even tell me when, wouldn't even give me a ballpark figure.
    Should I remove & throw away that plastic?
    I'm not doing anything else but trying to inspect & clean laundry & personal items & leave.
    How can I accomplish this successfully? I even inspect my shoes before I go...
    Enough to drive me nuts!
    Thanks for all your good advice!
    Sleeping with the enemy

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2014 17:07:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Best advice.

Grad the essentials, take the precautions in the FAQ and go and get a few nights rest.

Gaining that composure will help more than anything else.

You say yourself you need sleep to think better then take time out to do that. Try not to even log on until you feel more composed.

Then when you are rested we can start taking this step by step and at a pace you can deal with.

You need that time out, a pop ( let out the tension ) and to be able to face this less frazzled.

The appointment will happen in good time but now is the time for you to catch up on sleep

David

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2014 21:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a FAQ on how to travel (ie stay somewhere else) without spreading bed bugs here :
    http://Bedbugger.com/FAQs/travel

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982