Pest Control says no bugs [a: recently fed early instar bed bug nymph]

(7 posts)
  1. Steph429

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 16:28:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Back story - I recently moved to Florida in May and lived with a girl I went to college with. She had a spare room in her apartment so I moved in. Due to spending and getting adjusted, I had my mattress on the carpet floor from May until January (2 weeks ago). I went away for the holidays to NJ and was gone for almost two weeks. Our air conditioner was turned off and it was quite cold in the apartment when I got back. I came home on January 1st, went for a run on the 2nd, then woke up with bites on my left arm and neck on January 3rd.

I first thought that I had an allergic reaction to something or I was breaking out due to sweating from the day before. Ever since then, I have been waking up or developing bites on my body throughout the day. My roommate has had zero bites and no signs. She also has a dog that is on flea medication and has no signs as well. I was starting to think it was bed bugs but I have checked my mattress left and right, and couldn't find anything.

I went to the local clinic and a dermatologist, and they both said it is indeed bug bites. I called my apartments maintenance and they had pest control come into my bedroom. They checked the mattress, carpet, walls, you name it...They couldn't find anything. Yesterday I found a tiny (pinhead like) red bug in my bed yesterday and I crushed it and it smeared red. I found today and put it in a plastic baggy incase I need to call pest control again.

What could this bug be? I am so paranoid and getting bitten all over. I wore a long sleeve shirt and pants to bed last night and have a few bites on my back and face currently. The bites on my left arm and neck are slowly going away. Need advice!! Do I throw out my mattress?

http://tinypic.com/r/2ry3vix/9

2. F. Pazos

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 20:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry for you, get the pest control again and show it to them... bed bug nymph in the photo

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. HifromChi

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 11:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, bed bug nymph, that has recently fed.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 12:10:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, a recently fed early instar bed bug nymph. What is the history of the room/place you are staying? History of apt complex?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Steph429

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 13:33:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Well the complex is not brand new. My roommate has lived in our current apartment for almost 2 years and have had no problems. The girl who lived in my room prior to me had an ant problem but they got it taken care of. I have lived in my room since May with my mattress on floor with no problem. I found the adult bed bug last night and put it in a plastic baggy. I threw out my mattress as well and it wasn’t until I did that when I found the adult bed bug crawling by my standing lamp.

I have recently sprayed raid all over my room and bed frame. I am currently waiting for the carpets to be dry from this pet fresh (my roommate has a dog) and then I’m going to vacuum. I also have begun washing all of my clothes that I’ve worn to bed or were on the floor at any point.

Any advice on what else to do? How do I know if they are gone? I have found two nymphs and one adult bed bug. This has all been happening since January 3rd. I am sleeping on the futon in my living room currently.

6. HifromChi

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 16:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to show the inspectors that the building sent out the specimen you've caught, then they need to come in and treat your unit specifically for bed bugs.

I would stop all DIY methods that you're doing right now, as they can cause the bed bugs to disperse and spread throughout the entire unit, making it harder to isolate and kill them. You need to call your building management ASAP, they are incredibly difficult to get rid of on your own. The infestation could be coming from a neighboring unit that is infested as well, they need to inspect all units adjoining yours.

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 19:54:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Also since the bed bugs are in your bedroom, going to sleep in the living room instead will make them spread as they look for their next meal.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,473 posts in 46,589 topics over 142 months by 20,549 of 21,415 members. Latest: Losingit1011, srbutler, Nomorepleaze