Need bug ID help

(8 posts)
  1. bchlptpi2

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Jan 27 2019 22:24:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I have seen a couple of these bugs running around my bed, please help identify it. I have also received some itch marks that looks like mosquito bites in the past few days.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 2:10:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

That is a booklouse or pscocid, there is much written about them if you search the forum including links to articles about them and how they could indicate what the real cause of your symptoms is.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. bchlptpi2

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 4:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David, thank you for replying. Is it normal to have them crawling on my body in the middle of the day?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 6:38:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In significant numbers its an indication that there is a high level of mold spores in the area (their food). Its best to think of them as an indicator species of other issue as the source of the damp could become a long term issue if you don't seek to resolve it.

Often people don't notice how much off the average their properties become because its a gradual decline that they adapt to. I cases where I walk in and "feel" the dampness and find no signs of bedbugs the most likely issue is going to be an environmental one and that any booklice will just confirm to me the presence of mold spore which I am unlikely to find visually without a microscope.

I have also encountered a significant number of people who have reported sensitivity and skin reactions post bedbug exposure who have only found pscocids in their property which have not felt damp. I would caution against anyone attempting to extrapolate that line back and declare they MUST have had bedbugs in the past because they have now found a pscocid.

I would divert your attention towards mold rather than insect and your more likely to find peace soonest.

David

5. astrogirl

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 11:40:01
    #

Login to Send PM

These were the first things I found when I initially started looking in my bedroom for BB. I freaked when I found them crawling along my wall which prompted me to call the first PCO. He informed me of what they were but said they are harmless in small numbers. But, I keep finding them in my climb ups. I searched mold reactions and it seems they are mostly respiratory issues and sometimes a rash.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Jan 28 2019 11:57:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Booklouse food isn't limited to mold spores, but other mold growth can be consumed, such as fungal hyphae. The common name was because they were found in old books. Yes, mold is an issue, but bookbinding materials also consumed. Yes, could be a mixture of various nutritional items in there, too. Generalized info on the group: They feed primarily on fungi, algae, lichen, and organic detritus in nature but are also known to feed on starch-based household items like grains, wallpaper glue and book bindings. They have chewing mandibles, and the central lobe of the maxilla is modified into a slender rod. This rod is used to brace the insect while it scrapes up detritus with its mandibles. I've seen on certain substrates their feeding and it looked like very shallow depressions from scraping surfaces. I had a case where they were living in ground corn that was used as a matrix to clean out commercial coffee grinders. Some species can spin silk from glands in their mouth.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. bchlptpi2

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jan 29 2019 2:27:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, thanks for answering. I called up a pest control guy anyway, to get rid of whatever bug may be present in my place, including but not limited to book louse. There was an accident though. I followed his instruction to leave the premise for an hour before coming back in. The first thing I tried to do (after 1 hour is up) was to open up the windows. So I held my breath to go in, but end up taking a whiff of that air with chemical before opening the window. Just a short inhalation. Should I be worried about it? The chemical used according to the guy was Befinamin.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jan 29 2019 10:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

bchlptpi2 - 8 hours ago  » 
    Hey guys, thanks for answering. I called up a pest control guy anyway, to get rid of whatever bug may be present in my place, including but not limited to book louse. There was an accident though. I followed his instruction to leave the premise for an hour before coming back in. The first thing I tried to do (after 1 hour is up) was to open up the windows. So I held my breath to go in, but end up taking a whiff of that air with chemical before opening the window. Just a short inhalation. Should I be worried about it? The chemical used according to the guy was Befinamin.

I'm sure you misunderstood what he said. I bet it is Bifenthrin. A pyrethroid. I wouldn't worry about it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver