bedbugs and/or carpet beetles [a: carpet beetle larvae, adults, shed skins]

(4 posts)
  1. bugIDquestion123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2016 18:17:11
    #

Login to Send PM

A few days after returning from visiting a friend, 4-5 bites in a curved line appeared on my leg. I was concerned that these might be bedbug bites, but I had no further bites for a while and saw no signs of bedbugs (fecal smears/ castings).

About 20 days after the initial bites, several more bites appeared on my leg, bottom of my foot, and across my back/shoulders. A search of my mattress, bed frame, sheets, and surrounding area still turned up no sign of bedbugs. However, on the curtains in my bedroom I did find what appears to be a carpet beetle (pictures of bug 3 in the imgur series). In the drawer in the bed (which contained a blanket that may be wool but I am unsure of the material), I found what may be carpet beetle larvae or castings (pictures of bugs 1 and 2 in the imgur series, photos are multiple angles of the same bugs). Bug 3 is pretty clearly a carpet beetle, but I am unsure of bugs 1 and 2. Could someone please help me ID them?

I've also included a photo of some of the bites on my leg (possibly carpet beetle dermatitis?).

Please let me know if these pictures do appear to be carpet beetles, or if bedbugs seem to be more likely.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/Mq1d6

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 16 2016 2:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I think those are carpet/dermestid beetle larvae (along with the carpet beetle). They look a bit chewed up, so wait for an expert to confirm.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 16 2016 21:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme is right again. Carpet beetle larvae and adult. Some are carpet beetle larvae shed skins. Looks like the varied carpet beetle.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bugIDquestion123

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2016 16:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081