(7 posts)
  1. beddbugg

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 19:56:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

I included a very long run down of my situation so far, but it was way too long for a sane person to read (this is still probably way too long). I'd like to provide any more info that would be helpful to answer my questions. The basic version: last month I woke up with bug bites on my arm, then again a few days later on my other arm and back of neck, checked for bed bugs and didn't see any evidence in sheets, mattress, pillow, bedframe, around bed, etc. until a few nights later I saw an unfed adult walk across a book I was reading in bed. I took pictures of it, killed it, and bagged it up as evidence. I called the landlord and they scheduled pest control to come later that week, pest control provided me with instructions on preparing for their treatment. I bagged, then hot washed/dried all my clothes, and bagged all my belongings up except stuff in kitchen & bathroom. Everything (besides clothes) was bagged and put in the middle of my studio apartment. I've had 1 treatment out of 3 so far. During the course of bagging, washing, etc. I didn't see any other evidence of bed bugs anywhere.

1. Pest control came in and sprayed my studio apartment. They're scheduled to do 2 more treatments. Is it important for me to sleep in the apartment as much as possible in order to act as "bed bug lure"? I just had my first night back since the 1st treatment last night and I did not get bitten (at least I'm not noticing anything yet). I read that with sprays it's important for them to walk across the poison, so I figured I should be there so they just don't hibernate for the next month away from the poison.

2. They told me the chemicals they used are: evergreen dust (for cracks & crevices of baseboard), exciter, gentrol, and temperate (these 3 they used as a combined liquid), and bedlam aerosol spray (they said for furniture and on my mattress). They won't be heat treating anything, I think they'll just be using those for all 3 treatments. Are the above chemicals good products?

3. They told me to put my books, files, etc. into plastic bags with a couple moth balls for 2 weeks then pull them out and everything will be fine. I've read online that moth balls are ineffective. What's the best course of action for my books? I also have vinyl records I'm worried they could harbor in. Right now everything is wrapped in duct taped contractor bags, but I did not put moth balls in with them. I was thinking of just leaving them like that in storage for a year, but I would like to have at least some of my books and music, and there are the contents of my filing cabinet I'd definitely not want to put in storage for an extended period of time, if possible. I'd also rather avoid paying storage for a year... and avoid having all my stuff smell like moth balls. What should I do?

4. I planned on moving out at the end of June. They'll finish treatment the 3rd week of June. How can I avoid potentially bringing any bugs with me? I'd rather not keep most of my belongings in storage, but will if it's deemed safer.

5. For furniture without too many hiding places, is sight inspection good enough or is the safest bet to wrap furniture in plastic and throw out or keep in storage for a year? It's just a few inexpensive laminate wood furniture: desk, book shelf, bed frame, kitchen cart. I'd like to keep the desk out of storage and hopefully not have to throw anything away*.

6. My mattress is memory foam, I've read they can't burrow into foam but may attach themselves to it. I haven't bought a bed bug cover bc of poor reviews for the $80 one I saw. I wasn't sure if it mattered anyway if they can't live inside it. Pest control said they sprayed the foam mattress too (I think with bedlam). Never saw anything in or on the mattress or mattress cover. What's the best thing to do?

Thank you! Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

*p.s. I want to note that when I say "throw away" I mean going to the dump, not just leaving it out to potentially spread any infestation. I was planning of wrapping any thrown out furniture in plastic and dropping it off at the dump. If there's a safer way to dispose, please let me know.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 20:16:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bbdbg,

Some comments for your review and consideration:

Furniture: You can eliminate bed bugs from your furniture which is important to know if you can't afford to replace it. You just need to know how.

Chemicals: There's no credible published data that supports the use of IGRs against bed bugs. It seems you may be referring to Temprid SC which is one of the leading products chosen by professionals. It works when applied properly. Note that for any such product to actually work, it needs to be applied correctly. Bedlam Plus is better than regular Bedlam give the choice.

I'm not a big fan of the "human bed bug lure" approach, here's why:
    > It's best to conduct a thorough and comprehensive inspection and elimination process rather than to have our customers to be "human bed bug lures" who suffer avoidable bites and we don't have any problems doing so.

Moth balls? Not so much.

Remember, you can "buy yourself time" by sealing stuff in bed bug proof containers or plastic bags as you have done.

You can also decide to heat or chemically treat such items.

Bed bug proof mattress encasements are recommended. Be sure you use the proper size for your bed and a high quality bed bug tested type encasement for your mattress and box spring.

It appears you've been told or read some misinformation so, going forward, please be careful of your sources.

What other questions do you have ?

pjb

Let's talk about the move related stuff later on.

3. beddbugg

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 10:00:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi P Bello,

Thank you for the info. Could you let me know what info I received that was misinformation? There seems like no 100% credible source for info out there, which is why I decided to post here. I was reading university studies which told me that mothballs would be ineffective, contrary to what pest control told me. For every piece of advice I read I also read something to the contrary which makes me think bed bug control is really in it's nascence and the only really 100% surefire way to make sure you get everything is to bag everything and put it in storage for either a year (or 1.5 years depending on the source) or use heat for items that can take it.

Was the idea that bedbugs can't get inside memory foam one of the bits of misinformation you were referring to? I was going to get the bed bug cover, but the one I found was $80 and got poor reviews, so for that I was thinking I'd rather dump the mattress and buy a new one since I only paid $250 for it in the first place (bc it's memory foam I have no box spring, just wood slats). I've slept in it 2 nights without being bitten after they did the first treatment, but I'd rather not take chances.

I should mention pest control never asked me to be a human bed bug lure, but I had read that the spray chemicals work when the bugs walk across them. I wouldn't have a problem with being a lure for a few weeks if it helps solve the problem in the long run. The bites aren't the worst thing in the world, I just want to make sure I get out of that apartment bed bug free and not spread anything to anyone else.

As for heat treating, I looked at the packtite but besides being expensive I had read it may not work with books because the pages may insulate bugs inside them. The vinyl records wouldn't work with this method either because the heat would damage them. Is there another method to try or would it be safest putting everything in storage for a year or more?

You also hinted that it would be possible to remove bed bugs from furniture. Can you elaborate?

Thank you for time! Really appreciated.

4. beddbugg

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 10:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

One more question! What about electronics? I have hard drives, hard drive cradles, music players, etc. Since I can't heat these up and there are most certainly plenty of spaces for bugs to hide - what's the best way to make sure these are bed bug free without ruining the electronics?

Thanks again!

5. beddbugg

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat May 31 2014 18:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, is it okay to bump? Apologies if this isn't an acceptable practice on this forum.

I'd really like to figure out how best to treat furniture.

I've also read that placing electronics in a bag with a DDVP strip for 3 or 4 days is a good way to kill any potential bed bugs harboring inside? Is this still recommended? Would this work with other items such as books, vinyl records, papers, and other miscellaneous items?

Thank you very much!

6. Tellmeitsabeetle

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 7 2014 16:46:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish you'd get more answers! I have a lot of the same questions.

7. Tellmeitsabeetle

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Sep 7 2014 16:46:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish you'd get more answers! I have a lot of the same questions.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,559 posts in 49,289 topics over 152 months by 21,600 of 22,025 members. Latest: eldina714, Eevee, cat