Need an ID [a: female odd beetle]

(11 posts)
  1. y2j514

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 21:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

In my first apartment I moved into, they had a bed bug infestation without telling me. I spent a year of hell, agony and borderline depression in there.

I moved away about 2 years ago. I didn't throw anything out but I was pretty meticulous in my move. Anything that could be washed was washed in hot water, dried in dryer and then packed. At new place was washed again. Furniture was sprayed down with a strong alcohol solution, wrapped in industrial grade "saran-wrap" and a bunch of dry ice was placed in the furniture. Everything else was sprayed (if it could be) and packed into boxes. All the boxes were packed with dry ice, and individually put into construction grade garbage bags and more dry ice added. My mattress and box spring were placed in a bed bug mattress bag.

I have lived sound for the past 2 years in my new apartment.

Last month I decided to buy an extra bed bug mattress bag and separate the mattress and boxspring so I could make the bed easier. Since then I have been itchy, maybe psychological maybe not. I would wake up with a few itchy spots on my body but no bumps. If i scratched the area would turn red and one or 2 bumps would show up, but it wouldn't last more than 5 minutes. Instantly paranoid, I tore my bed room apart several times without being able to find any signs of bed bugs.

The other night I saw this bug on my Kleenex box. I took it and dropped it in the bathroom sink to contain it while I photographed it. It doesn't have a flat body like the bed bugs I have seen. But when I google female bed bug I feel like it is similar. I really hope it isn't but I feel like it is. I just need confirmation before I freak out.

(Pictures were taken with my DSLR, I didn't crop or edit them. To view the image in full resolution, right click the image "view image". That will bring you to photobucket. Then press the magnifying glass.

After discovering that bug I went on another hunt - no sign of bed bugs, castings, fecal matter, or blood stains on my bed. But I did discover a bug that appears to be a carpet beetle. This picture is from google "Carpet Beetle", it appears similar to the second bug I found.

Do Carpet Beetles and Bed Bugs compete in the same environment or can they live together? Are there any problems to having a carpet beetle? Do they bite?

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 7 2015 23:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Relax, not a bed bug !

3. y2j514

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 0:02:36
    #

Login to Send PM

You 100% sure? What could it be?

Half of me says its not a bed bug because it doesn't have the flat body look, and my bug's head is too round. But the other half of me says look at the big guy here:

They look pretty similar no?

4. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 0:53:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert, but Paul Bello is legit and knows his stuff. I would certainly trust him and anything he IDs.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 4:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't have a flat body like the bed bugs I have seen. But when I google female bed bug I feel like it is similar. I really hope it isn't but I feel like it is. I just need confirmation before I freak out.
    Don't go by the overall similarity. You have to understand structures. You need to zoom in on your insect and look at its body parts.
    Half of me says its not a bed bug because it doesn't have the flat body look, and my bug's head is too round. But the other half of me says look at the big guy here
    You can't just go by similarity. Again, you have to see structures. You might need to get an magnifier app for the phone so you can get a close-up picture. You might be able to fix setting on phone for close-up macro, high resolution, large image size. It's more difficult to see the images if they are pasted into your post rather than uploading to a picture hosting site and then posting the link.
    In your case, however, I've been able to download one of your images for viewing.
    The insect you have pictured is a female odd beetle, Thylodrias contractus, an insect that is commonly misidentified as a bed bug due to its body that doesn't look typically beetle-like. Please look at it and as you already noted the head is different from that of a bed bug. Antennae not bed bug like. Look at the thorax and you'll see it's a different shape from that of a bed bug. Also yours has no hint of wings, but adult bed bugs have reduced front wings that look like small pads. Legs different and abdomen different. Once you look and compare, you'll understand.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. y2j514

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 11:05:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all! I didn't use my phone for the picture - tried with my DSLR but I don't have a good macro lens. Anyways I'm super relieved! Thank you to everybody.

After reading your post I googled female odd beetle and I found this picture from this site. Posting it here for reference material for anybody else in the future.

Link

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 12:33:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Ha! That was my photo. I was going to post it yesterday and forgot . . . and then saw that Lou had already ID'd it, so I didn't. (I could tell your bug was a female odd beetle even from your tiny photos . . . those "classes" with Lou are really paying off!)

8. BonVoyageBedBugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 14:21:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm starting to think that some of you guys could ID a bug while wearing a blindfold.

9. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 14:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

BonVoyageBedBugs - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I'm starting to think that some of you guys could ID a bug while wearing a blindfold.

Mr. Sorkin certainly can!

He is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!!

10. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 16:00:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou probably could do braille bug readings ,,He is just that awesome!
    And there is a lesson in most every ID post he does..

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri May 8 2015 16:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou probably could do braille bug readings
    Actually......

Certain insects you can tell by touch. And if you get stung, you can almost always ID it with some certainty.

BTW, ID Day at the museum tomorrow.
    http://www.amnh.org/calendar/identification-day

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123