Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Need advice/ideas on my bed bug situation.

(7 posts)
  1. eloiamb1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 14 2018 13:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I am feeling utterly defeated at the moment. I'm not sure what to do next; move, lawyer, pretend like nothing is happening?

I live in an apartment complex of three building with eight apartments per building. About five months ago we found out we had a bed bug problem. It started on with my wife getting red welts in random places on her body. At first we assumed (hoped?) it was just mosquitoes and she was having an allergic reaction to them. After a week we finally found the culprit. Then we, of course, freaked out. We bought spray, powder, bed covers, etc. We contacted the apartment manager as soon as we found out. They scheduled for a pest inspector to come out about a week later. At that point we had already put down Cimexa along all the edges of the carpets, taken the bed apart and contact sprayed what we could find, living out of plastic bags... The inspector suggested we did not need chemical treatment and to see what happens. We believed him and slowly went back to our normal lives; no more bites or sighting.

Five months later, I'm in the bathroom doing my business and I see a bug crawling across the floor. Sure enough it is an unfed adult bedbug. Later that day my wife found a baby clung to a cloth on a hanger behind the bathroom door. And we freaked out again, this time because we now have an infant. We called the office and moved into my mom's apartment, taking all the precautions we could not to bring them there. This time, the inspector couldn't find anything again; however, I kept the evidence. His belief is that this bedbug was a hitchhiker and again, we didn't need treatment. After the last time, I insisted and agreed to pay the $400. We packed everything up like we were moving, did lots of laundry, and prepared the apartment. The pest control guy came and in his report he only found one live bedbug in the box spring (I agreed to cut off the cover and buy new ones so it could be treated; also, the cover had some small holes from moving it so many times.).

Now it is almost two weeks later. No bites and no sightings until today. We found three unfed adults. Two in the kitchen, one on the carpet right outside the kitchen. One was dead, one upside down and maybe dying, and the other alive a running (I had no idea how fast they are! I thought from reading, they were pretty slow.) The last one appears to be dying in a plastic bag right now so, perhaps they came from elsewhere in the apartment and are now dying to chemicals?

My wife does not work. I work in a lab alone (other people in the building; but, no one else works in my lab). I have another office on the main university campus; however, I don't go there often and only two other people work there, neither of which have reported anything.

I don't know what to do at this point. My wife and I are going crazy. The only logical explanation I can think of is the adjacent apartments. In which case, my apartment manager is not telling us and I feel like I should lawyer up.

Please, if you have any ideas, advice, comments, etc. I would love to hear them.

2. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 15 2018 1:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

It bugs me (no pun intended) but often in apartments (in the US and Canada) the landlord must pay for the treatment.

I think finding them in the bathroom means they are moving between apartments.
    The landlord can seal the pipes.
    Read the FAQs on this site.
    Best wishes.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 15 2018 7:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You say that the box spring cover had holes in it. Maybe what ever was locked in there originally made it's way out after 5 months. Is that a possibility?

4. eloiamb1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 15 2018 9:18:34
    #

Login to Send PM

freakingout123 - 1 hour ago  » 
    You say that the box spring cover had holes in it. Maybe what ever was locked in there originally made it's way out after 5 months. Is that a possibility?

Yes, it could have. However, the box spring cover was cutoff and the box spring treated. Thr PCO stated they found one live bed bug in the box spring and nowhere else in the apartment. The next evening a new cover was put on the box spring.

In the last two days we have found 6 bed bugs, 4 in the kitchen near the doorway and 2 on the carpet near the kitchen. Of the 6 bed bugs, all were unfed and one was an early stage. The rest either adults or one stage away from adults. Treatment was two weeks ago today. Could they have come from the box spring, hid near the kitchen, and decided to come out almost two weeks later? I'm not sure; but, it does not seem possible to me.

At this point we are ready to trash everything, move, and burn through all of our savings; basically start over from scratch.

5. HifromChi

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 15 2018 9:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're finding them in the bathroom and the kitchen, I think that other units surrounding you have infestation issues, and it will be pointless to keep treating your apartment, if all of the adjacent units aren't being properly inspected and treated. It'll be a vicious circle of treatment and re-infestation.

6. eloiamb1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 15 2018 18:15:55
    #

Login to Send PM

If an adjacent apartment used a fogger or something similar, what do you think the bed big response would be? A couple day increase in bed bugs to adjacent apartments?

I guess some good news... I found a dead bed bug under our bed so, I guess the treatment is working.

7. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 15 2018 23:56:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You probably need a treatment every 2 weeks until there are no signs but what did your PCO say about followups?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991