Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Need advice: should I move?

(9 posts)
  1. JessicaL

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 6 2009 11:55:13
    #

Login to Send PM

We moved into a newly renovated apartment one month ago, which turned out to have bed bugs. The property management just told us that they finally found out the source of bed bugs, probably a neighboring apartment. No more details were given, considering the sensitivity of the issue. Now we are given an option to move into another apartment, which is said to be bug free.

I want to move, because I am not so confident with the ability of the PCOs to eradicate the bug problem from my apartment or my neighboring apartment. Since the bugs are now traveling in between walls, I think it has been a problem for a while. My apartment has been treated three times in the past month, with PT565, Steri-fab and Drione dust. We have a 6-month old at home, and she has been bitten a couple of times with about 15 bites on her. My husband and I each has about 60-70 bites. My daughter is also going to have a major surgery in early summer and I don’t want her to be exposed to too much chemicals or suffer with bug bites.

However, I know it is very likely that we will bring the bugs into the new place, so if we move, we are going to throw away some stuff (our bed and bassinet gone already) and do a thorough cleaning of all clothing or linens. I don’t know how to do with our books or electronics yet. Also I think the property should give us some compensation, considering loss of furniture, loss of sleep time, and numerous hours with cleaning, vacuuming…

Can someone with similar experience give me some advice?

2. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 6 2009 12:33:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Jessica this sux - I'm so sorry.

Your property mgm't company sounds terrible. My bet is that the apt was renovated because of the bugs & because they don't know what they are doing. It seems doubtful that a new unit in the same building (if it is currently bug free) would stay that way. Especially if they are in the habit of moving people from infested units to uninfested ones.

I suppose it's worth a shot but I don't know how likely it is to help.

Did they know about the bugs before you moved in?, I'm not a lawyer but you may have some better chance of being compensated if they did. What state are you in? That affects the liklihood of compensation too.

3. JessicaL

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 6 2009 12:59:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugbattler, thank you for the reply.

I live in Maryland. The property management acknowledged the problem, which I think is graceful. They offered the moving option out of consideration for my baby. I think in the long term, the most economical way for them is to ask us to get rid of our stuff as much as possible (of course, they need to pay for our loss) so that we don't spread the bugs in the community. Hiring PCOs is not cheap, I heard.

It seems that no one knew about the bug problem. My apartment was renovated, according to the property management, due to usual wear and tear. I don't know if the whole building was renovated or not.

4. BugBoy911

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2009 20:28:17
    #

Login to Send PM

PT565, Sterifab!?!?! There used contact kill pesticides with no residual effect. Drione Dust can be used very effectivelly yet I'm sure they didn't use it even close to how its supposed to be used. Did you see dust all over after the treatment!? Using dust as the residual of choice requires a lot of time to truelly use it correctly. Using a water suspension of pesticide in an air pump can can be used much more effectivly to cover a room correctly. Dust should be used only in cracks and crevices inside walls and electric sockets. I just find Drione to be a good product for deep cracks and certain situations, but most aparmtnets need general applications around the walls ceilings and other area's which dust cannot be applied. You didn't get the correct treatment and this is the reason why you still have a problem. PT565 is a flushing agent to try and find out were harborages are which are deep inside cracks and crevices. I find Pt565 at the bottom of my list for use in a bedbug treatment, yet sometimes it is a very effective tool in finding were the budbugs are, but usually not needed at all. Sterifab should only be used to sterilize a matteress with a lot of fecal matter or unsanitary problems. Using Sterifab as a pesticide of choice to errraticate a bedbug infestation will never provide long lasting results, period.

5. JessicaL

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Feb 7 2009 21:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugboy911, thanks!

Drione dust was put into the electric sockets only. I didn't see any dust around afterwards. Sterifab was used on dressers, sofa and baseboard. I talked to PCOs, and they told me that their past success rates with eradicating beg bugs were 100%. Do you believe that?

6. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 14:42:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with bugboy911. Terrible application choice. Not that any residual is that effective.
    No wonder you guys have so many bites!
    Pco here...

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 16:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

This is not good news, but is very likely you could take the bedbugs with you wherever you move unless you are bedbug free before you move.

At the Second Boston Bedbug Conference, a panel of housing inspectors talked about moving tenants from an infested unit into a motel that was bedbug free. The tenants only had the clothes on their backs, their medication and their wallets with them when they moved, yet the inspectors found evidence of bedbugs in the motel unit a few days later. Even the inspectors were surprised.

At a bedbug conference I went to in Herndon VA, an entomologist talked about visiting a home with bedbugs and inadvertently taking a bedbug with him in the cuff of his pants when he left. It is extremely easy to take bedbugs with you, even if you are an entomologist and aren't carrying anything.

I feel so terrible when you have a child. A long time ago a member on one of the bedbug boards moved his wife and child to a family member's home temporarily while he stayed in their infested apartment. The temporary family home got infested, and his wife and child hadn't even moved there--they just were staying there to avoid getting bitten.

Having bedbugs is terrible, but moving and finding you took them with you is also very terrible. I hope you can get a solution that works for you soon, once again especially when you have a child.

8. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 18:57:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you load up your stuff, all of it, in large u-hauls and have them Viakned, then move to a different apartment complex without BB? That would be my plan. Take nothing with you except a large ziplock with minimal freshly washed/ dryed for 90 minutes clothes and medicaiotn while you are waiting for the Vikane to be completed. And take extreme precautions when you go to your new place if you stay in a hotel during the transition. Hope that is an option for you.

9. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 0:26:34
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen - 5 hours ago  » 
    Can you load up your stuff, all of it, in large u-hauls and have them Viakned, then move to a different apartment complex without BB? That would be my plan. Take nothing with you except a large ziplock with minimal freshly washed/ dryed for 90 minutes clothes and medicaiotn while you are waiting for the Vikane to be completed. And take extreme precautions when you go to your new place if you stay in a hotel during the transition. Hope that is an option for you.

Or Thermal, if possible in their situation. When there are potential chemical sensitivities it can be a good option.

Best of Luck,
    Tony Canevaro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,737 posts in 50,027 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah