Need advice re: Bagged stuff (books not inspected) for follow up treatment

(5 posts)
  1. StudioApt

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 23 2014 22:55:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been reading everything I can about professional treatment, but still have some questions. I scheduled the PCO to treat 2 days after the inspection dog sniffed out a bedbug location behind my bed at the baseboard near my head, though nothing was found on the platform frame nor anywhere else since I vacuumed right away. I was so freaked out by the bites and with so little time, I only had time to encase the mattress, wash only my bedding and what was in my laundry bag, bagged them, bagged the rest of my clothes in my closets, as well as all my books and papers before the chemical treatment so that the room could be treated. I didn't have time to wash and inspect everything, and just piled all the bags in the room so the exterminator could get to the baseboards ASAP. I assume the PCO treated the furniture and closets (I did move all my shoes and stuff out into the room, too). And I can't take the bags out of the room for washing and inspecting because I live in a studio apartment - everything has to be done in the room.

The PCO says not to unpack since I get a second treatment 10 days after the first treatment. I don't understand if I bagged my belongings to protect them from the chemicals, or from bedbugs seeking refuge from the chemical treatment. I'm afraid the books and other stuff I bagged might be harboring bedbug eggs and they'll hatch in the bags and re-infest once I unpack. The books and files were on a wood bookcase an arm's reach from my bed. Should I take them out and re-shelve everything so that the bugs are free to walk around and hopefully get zapped by the 2nd treatment? Or do I keep everything bagged and inspect each item when I take them out of the bags (and hope there are no bugs in there)? I will put all the clothes from the closets and sofa pillows in the dryer before putting them back after the 2nd treatment. I'm more worried about the books, folders, rug, and artwork in the bags!

It's been 2 days since the 1st treatment and I haven't been bitten again, yet... Should I reschedule the 2nd treatment after I take things out of the bags, even though they told me to keep everything packed up? (And have time for any new bugs to set up shop near me and my bed?)

2. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 0:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

it's only logical that if you had bedbugs and stuff in the same room, like books or whatever

that the bedbugs could have been in there depending how big your infestation is, they may or may not be in there, but by bagging this stuff you are taking a chance of bagging some bugs and then maybe releasing them later, how big of a chance is hard to know

I'd phone the PCO and ask

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 24 2014 5:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

To play it safe you should include a pest strip in every bag and keep the bags sealed for at least a week.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. OMGNoGoAway

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 8 2016 19:42:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I see this thread is from 2014, but I'm going through a similar problem right now. Did you find a solution for your books? I too was told to bag my stuff and it seems illogical because my apartment is tiny and everything is 10 feet or less from my bed and couch (including many books).

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 9 2016 1:31:34
    #

Login to Send PM

OMGNoGoAway - 5 hours ago  » 
    I see this thread is from 2014, but I'm going through a similar problem right now. Did you find a solution for your books? I too was told to bag my stuff and it seems illogical because my apartment is tiny and everything is 10 feet or less from my bed and couch (including many books).

This FAQ considers some of the issues with bags of untreated belongings: How do I prepare for bed bug treatment? Should I just put all my stuff in bags?

A poster above mentions DDVP strips which can be placed in sealed bags with items like books. Read more about DDVP in this section of the Useful Tools page.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,281 posts in 46,766 topics over 142 months by 20,634 of 21,518 members. Latest: alerton, paulfoel, Miggle