Need Advice Please

(4 posts)
  1. StressedandTired

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 2 2013 7:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all, just want to first say thanks to everyone actively posting on this website with TONS of great advice and support.

Anyways after3 months of being unsure of having bedbugs I was finally able to capture a few of them. I had to rip apart the entire room around 3am and even then only found two crawling underneath. I've steam cleaned, vacuumed, done the laundry and ziploc'd immediately after, put out climb ups, DE'd the cracks and outlets, sealed my mattress with a bed bug cover, used a DIY dry ice trap which caught 3 nymphs the first day then nothing ever again, but I'm still getting bit. I work from home and have almost turned nocturnal in order to get the number of bits down.

So its been a little over a month since the first time I was able to catch a bed bug, I'm still getting bites, and I'm considering throwing in the towel and getting heat treatment done. I've been reading through the forums and it seems that heat isn't preferred/effective for apartments due to the bedbugs coming through other units/neighbors but no one has mentioned doing heat treatments in townhouses. The walls are a lot thicker than apartments and I'm hoping bed bugs won't travel next door to the neighbors. I'm basing thickness on the fact that the only noise I can hear is when they hammer in nails for paintings(going out on a limb and assuming that's what they're hammering.)
    Can anyone please shed some light? I really, really just want one night of worry free sleep.

2. NY Bug Man

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 2 2013 7:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you are pretty vigilant and did a good thorough job! Self- treatments are difficult. The problem is if you don't perform them correctly, the problem can increase over time.
    Joining apartments are always a concern with bed bugs and this may/may not be the situation in your case. A good PCO will want to treat the surrounding apartments, or at-least do an inspection/interview with those apartments and tenants.
    I have seen way too many clients with a problem that aren't sure where the bugs are coming from. Then ill get in touch with the landlord and get into other apartments that have a real serious problem.
    The method you use is up to you and the company you hire. Depending on your personal situation, the company you choose may recommend something different. It is difficult to tell you something like that sight unseen, as there are so many factors and possibilities.
    Good luck none the less, remain aware do your research hire someone reputable and in no time you should be bed bug free.
    Keep us updated!

3. StressedandTired

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 2 2013 7:55:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
    The only thing that concerns me is that unlike apartments/rentals I don't have a landlord for the row of townhouses. I hate to say it but I'm currently on bad terms with the adjoining neighbor over parking spaces and I'm sure they wouldn't admit to bed bugs. If the neighbors either get infected or are the source how would I stop them from seeping through the shared wall?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 2 2013 8:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The only way to stop bedbugs seeping through the walls is to make sure there are non to seep.

Sorry its time to set the differences with the parking spaces aside and work on this issue as a priority.

Stop the source and stop the bugs is the only viable answer.

With regards thermal in apartments the reason why it tends not to be preferred is that people tend not to check the neighbours before they start and bedbugs that ingress again can appear to be treatment failures when in fact they are because the source was not identified. The second issue is that some apartments are constructed in a way that would make thermal almost impossible such as concrete flooring that acts as a huge heat sink and draws the heat from the room instead of heating the room up.

The final key issue with thermal is that it has no or low residual activity and thus if you were to pick up a bug from the office a few days later it would not be killed, again appearing to be a treatment failure.

I work on some nasty and heavy cases in London and am yet to be convinced that heat in the traditional room heating fashion is the way forward.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956