Need advice on small infestation

(3 posts)
  1. romy90

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 21:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the incredibly long post but need some advice ! Woke up one morning with four bites on my back and immediately tore apart my bed. Found one bedbug on the back of my pillow. I had a bedbug cover on my mattress and pillows so assuming it has nowhere to hide that’s why it was there.

I have some experience with bedbugs about 5 years back in my old apartment. Thankfully I was already moving out the next month and it was a very small infestation (only ever day one bug) so just tossed all my old furniture (didn’t have that much) washed and dried everything exterminator came to spray and moved on. Didn’t have any issues after that.

After finding the bedbug I Immediately bagged up all my bedding and any clothes that were out in my room and took it to the laundromat washed and dried on high heat. Inspected my bed frame and surrounding area and saw nothing else. Called an exterminator and that same day someone came down and they did a canine inspection. They did not find any live bedbugs or eggs but the dog did pick up a scent from my bed frame and they found a small amount of droppings on it. They didn’t pick up a scent anywhere else. (I live in a duplex apartment with one other roommate who has not had any bites)

After the exterminator left I vacuumed and steamed my bed frame, carefully took it apart and bagged it in my bedroom and took it outside. Then vacuumed my whole room and especially next to my bed to be safe. I also bought a new bedbug cover and replaced my old one as I noticed my cat scratched a couple of holes in the old one. I installed the interceptors on my couch and an armchair I have in my room.

Next step was to inform my landlord. She was thankfully very understanding and called around to a few exterminators. I live in New York so the prices are insane here. We found a really great one who sprays and does freezing treatment, lays traps and even treats inside the wall but my landlord didn’t want to pay that much so she ended up choosing someone else. They came on Saturday and all he did was spray suspend sc all over the apartment and he will be back in two weeks to do another round of treatment. Not sure if they will be using the suspend again or another chemical. I ordered cimexa and it should be coming tomorrow so I will also use that. My only concern is I have some books next to my bed and I’m not sure how to treat those. The exterminator did spray them with the suspend but I’m not sure that’s enough.

I’m hoping I did everything quickly and correct but if anyone has any further advice it would be much appreciated. Since this is in the early stages (inspector says it looks like the have only been here for a couple of weeks) I want to make sure I do everything possible to catch it before it spreads. Thankfully (or not? Lol) I am very allergic to the bites and they flare up immediately so I know if I am bit or not.

The first day I noticed I had the bites and found the one live bedbug was June 8th and I haven’t had any bites since then. Is it possible it was a really small infestation and I handled it? When can I be completely sure it is all gone? I am thinking about having the canine inspection again 30 days after the next treatment for a little peace of mind. Is it worth it to do that?

Thinking about it has completely consumed me I have terrible anxiety because of it and The fact that it may be like this for a few months is driving me crazy. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything correct!

2. blackavar

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 20 2019 5:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe you can use the Cimexa on books, since I guess the bugs would climb up on the edges since they're very "climable." Sprays could damage the books so I would rather use dust. You can bag the books after dusting.
    Stay vigilant but continue with your life.Some people go for weeks without additional bites then suddenly get new ones. It doesn't mean that it's the old infestation, it might be that new bugs came in from adjoining properties. Or some find that their skin becomes more sensitive after their bb encounters.

3. lalmaroad

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 20 2019 10:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I would recommend the packtite passive monitor and following the treatment by passive monitor replacement protocol.
    https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/support-resources/

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956