(32 posts)
  1. prae

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 10:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Bedbuggers,

So, I just bought a new PAX large armoire from IKEA.
    I had the large frame panels delivered to my apartment... as I open the package to begin assembly
    the first thing I see as I lift up the top panel to reveal the panels underneath is A BEDBUG !

It's plain as day on the birch wood veneer... I catch it and bag it for proof.
    It looks like a smaller bedbug - maybe.

What should I do ? Does new furniture often come contaminated ?
    I'm in a studio apartment and I don't even have a BED or MATTRESS here yet ( not COUCH )
    so it's a fairly barren space.

The package was in my apartment unopened for about a week until I opened it yesterday.

I'm not sure what I should do - I reviewed the other panels and didn't find anything so maybe it's just a lone bedbug ?

It will cost me 70-100$ to return the frame as it is too big to drive, and I don't have a car anyways.

Not sure if anyone has any advice in this situation. I want to be cautious but not hysterical about this ...

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE ! Really can use the help and insight... I'm totally in shock to have found a bedbug inside a brand new piece of furniture like that.

2. scared-girl

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 10:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow -- that sucks. I would REMOVE it from the apartment and call IKEA to lodge a complaint . I would demand a full refund and trash the armoire. You could try treating your apartment, but why take that kind of risk for IKEA furniture?? Personally, I wouldn't even RISK keepinging it in your house and IKEA needs to take liability. Good luck.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 11:23:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Prae. Conceivably, BB can enter an item or it s packing at any stage: manufacture, transport, storage, etc or from being in an infested home (prior customer or yours). But you seemed less than 100% about the identity of the insect. You said "a smaller bed bug - MAYBE". Could you post the insect for identification? Could you inspect the goods( for other bugs, shells or poop marks), the packaging and your environment more thoroughly? I would try and not panic, but would get a large plastic bag or wrapper to securely seal the item pending further action.

Please also be sure to review the FAQ and the resource section. And hit us with specific questions. We'll try to help.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. prae

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 15:53:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

Thank you Cilecto and Scared-Girl for the advice.

CILECTO : I don't have a photo to share, my phone camera can't get a close up snap and I'm without my other camera currently...

But after further comparison to images on this site I'm fairly certain this is a bedbug.

I do have it in a plastic bag.

The horrible part is that I purchased this item directly from the IKEA STORE in BROOKLYN
    and saw the box.... I then had it delivered 2 days later and it's been here, unopened for a few days.

The first thing I see when cutting open the box and lifting up the TOP TWO PANELS is the bug squished in the middle of the wooden planks.

This was a brand new ARMOIRE FRAME / and quite large so it is not easy to return.

Do you think that I should be Alarmed by one bug in the box ?
    I've been sleeping in the apartment for a few night, on the floor close by and have not been bitten or anything...

I reviewed the rest of the frame carefully and didn't see any other bugs at all.

WHAT DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO ?

This is truly disconcerting and troubling.

THANKS AGAIN

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 16:53:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Repeating myself. I would try and not panic, but would get a large plastic bag or wrapper to securely seal the item pending further action.

People have reported success using camera phones through a small magnifier (aka a loupe) available at radio shack.

Read the FAQ and a comprehensive guide from the resources tab and learn how to look for the signs of BB elsewhere in your home.

6. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 19:04:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you called IKEA? Have them pick it back up. You need to find a friend or somebody with a macro lens or whatever it takes to get an image. It may not be a boogie bug. First things first.

7. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 19:33:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Do not trash the armoire. That's not going to go down wll for a claim.

Call a lawyer.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 20:44:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoa everyone. What the OP found, in a box that had been in his/her apartment for a week, is one dead "It looks like a smaller bedbug - maybe". Does your advice stay the same based on "looks-like-maybe" of uncertain origin?

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 20:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

First order of business is to identify the bug. A camera phone is fine, just take your time. If you really can't get a good picture then borrow a better camera. No reason to go crazy if it turns out to be something else. Then take things from there. First things first. And just so you know, only maybe about one in twenty pictures posted here of suspected bed bugs actually turn out to be bed bugs. This is potentially good news to you.

Richard

10. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 14:28:56
    #

Login to Send PM

My advice was based on the following statement

"the first thing I see as I lift up the top panel to reveal the panels underneath is A BEDBUG !"

I agree, if there's doubt that it's a bedbug, verification is important. So is containment. And so is preserving one's legal rights.

Here's someone else who claims to have had a problem with bedbugs and IKEA.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/ikea.html
    and here, too
    http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=53248

Good luck!

11. prae

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 16:22:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks All for the replies and advice...

I managed to get a camera and took this pic ( with penny included for scale )

http://tinypic.com/r/2e5um8h/7

I'm pretty sure that's a bedbug... and again - it was dead smack in the middle of a sealed IKEA frame package.

I'm worried that there are eggs in the particle board or something - IKEA has been slow to act and said they have had a few claims from others in the NY area of receiving boxes with bedbugs...

I'm not sure if they come in the cardboard or wood.

Either way - they are taking their time to send someone to pick up the large frame /
    I almost just want to trash it and lose the 100$ to not risk any more bugs.

It really is a pain to return this item - but I suppose it's better than going through thousands of dollars of Exterminator ( PCO ) treatments for a full blown infestation.

It's sad that even new furniture can come with these bugs... I had an experience where I bought a bedframe from someone on CRAIGSLIST / while disassembling it for moving a RED BUG crawled out of the joints - I thought it was a bedbug and trashed the frame immediately...
    In hindsight it was a wood-mite.
    This bug however is a bedbug

sucks....

anyhow thanks all and happy thanksgiving...

if you have anymore advice in dealing with IKEA please let me know !

12. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 16:30:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Happy Thanks giving to you. I agree, it looks like a bedbug.

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 22:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Prae: it sucks to find a BB in your home. We don't know how they got there or if yhere are others. Hopefully, you did seal everything in plastic, so if there are any live friends in the box, they're not coming out, while you plan and execute your next steps. One thought about eggs, though, is that they hatch to small, light colored nymphs, not the adult in the picture. So, there might be other signs to look for.

14. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 0:20:55
    #

Login to Send PM

If it were me, I'd call Ikea first thing in the morning and tell them if someone is not there to pick it up by noon that you are putting it out on the street and will not be responsible if someone decides to steal it.
    Tell them that you do not want it in your apartment etc etc. I am really shocked that whomever you spoke to actually admitted that others have had the same problem from that company. So, hopefully, they will not turn around and blame you! I also wonder if they are doing something about the problem, in a broad sense, or just dealing with each complaint individually.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 2:16:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a lawsuit crazy kind of gal but you might consider consulting a lawyer before trashing the evidence. It's possible you may need treatment. I not a lawyer, but there may be a case here (and it might be worth pursuing).

Any store which takes returns and does not treat them to eliminate bed bugs seems especially at risk of this problem.

I also want to stress that it may have been a lone dead bug. Unfortunately, corrugated cardboard makes a nice place to potentially hide eggs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  16. Bug wary

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 10:44:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not suggesting a lawsuit. Calls to lawyers can be made just to seek advice about how to proceed and how to preserve one's legal rights.

Lawsuits are expensive. I don't recommend them. Reaching a result outside of the courtroom is a better idea. But the possibility of a legal claim against someone often moves them to a positive result.

Interestingly the law of negligence began as a result of a plaintiff finding a snail in the bottom of a bottle of ginger beer , which she had consumed. As a result, she suffered nervous shock. ( Donoghue v. Stevenson) An insect isn't a mollusk, but the facts are similar.

17. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 11:17:51
    #

Login to Send PM

> I've been sleeping in the apartment for a few night, on the floor close by and have not been bitten or anything...

Meant to address this. Perhaps a good sign, but not conclusive, as:
    - un hatched eggs would not yet be feeding
    - a bug only feeds every 1-2 weeks
    - not everyone reacts to bites
    - many people take a few days to react.

All that said, I hope that it's just a bug that strayed in on packing and died in transit, leaving no heirs, but that's the frustrating thing about BB…we're tearing our hair out in the dark. I think you do need to be vigilant around your apartment, in case you have a problem there, as result of this box or independent of it.

18. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 20:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I guess I should have explained myself a bit more. I thought maybe by your saying you were going to leave the item out on the street if they didn't pick it up immediately, that would get some action on their part. We once rented a car that died on us on the way to a surprise party. We broke down in a rather bad part of town and the only thing open was a sketchy gas station. Pre-cell phone era, so we were forced to use the pay phone at the station. Rental car company kept telling us that they would send somebody but after 30 minutes and no sign of them, I finally called and told them I feared for our safety and was getting into a cab and they could pick up the car, or what would be left of it, whenever they cared to. Suffice it to say, they arrived in 4 minutes to get us and the car! I thought maybe that would work on Ikea.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 20:31:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi MyWorstFear,

I think the key here is that the rental car company still owned the car; IKEA has got their money and they could care less if you toss it out.

20. SearchandDestroy

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 26 2010 22:00:34
    #

Login to Send PM

So sorry to hear of this...gad, new furniture and all. I hope it was just 1 bug and you remain bite free! Can you let us know what state you live in? I know my brother just bought a whole bunch of furniture from ikea. yikes...

21. lurker

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 15:08:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Where was the IKEA manufactured and packed? What country? What IKEA product did you find the bed bug in? It sounds very likely that the bed bug was trapped during packing. Perhaps IKEA furniture and other imported products are the primary source of bed bugs entering the US.

People in these countries are adapted to living with bed bugs. We are not adapted.

I was planning to make a major buy of IKEA wardrobes instead of building a new closet. I have just changed my mind.

22. lurker

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 15:11:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I see it was a PAX wardrobe..just what I was planning to purchase. Does anyone know where these are manufactured. Now we don't have to just worry about toxic materials..we can add traveling bed bugs as a concern for anything purchased new and brought into the home.

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 16:23:45
    #

Login to Send PM

lurker,

Since the other poster purchased the item in a Brooklyn store, it seems like it could easily have been previously delivered to another home and returned, so the bed bugs were not necessarily there at the manufacturing and packing stage.

24. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 20:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, you're right. Hopefully the OP bought his items by credit card and could take it up with his credit card company.

25. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 21:07:26
    #

Login to Send PM

"Things" are now made all over the world from lots of parts that could come from even more countries. BB could become part of the order at any point;
    - Where parts are made. Remember, people work there. What was at the plant before?
    - Where the parts are consolidated for the "thing", people work there
    - In the truck or container on the way to distribution. What was in the container before? Someone's infested stuff maybe? Tossed clothing on their way for recycling?
    - In the warehouse. What else is there?
    - On the truck to your home. What was in that truck before?
    - In your home. Your neighbor could have set off a "bomb" the very day your "thing" arrived.

I'm not saying which of these is the case with OP's armoire, but I can see this as difficult to ascertain. For those of us who buy "things", this is somewhat troubling.

Here's a local example. Building near my parents'. 3-6 units. Constant flow of spotted mattress sets at the curb. Many with encasements (usually vinyl and ripped). Sure looks like an infestation. Retail at the gound floor. Sells bed and table linens. Are they infested? If they are, how did their customers do? Store closes. Bakery next door. Sells retail, but also wholesale "sheet cakes" for caterers, houses of worship and family events. Those sheet cakes are paked in corrugated cardboard boxes...which the bakery stores next door in the vacant bedding store below the likely invested apartment house. Who would connect the dots and would "they" want you to?

26. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 21:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

prae - 2 days ago  » 
    Thanks All for the replies and advice...
    I managed to get a camera and took this pic ( with penny included for scale )

http://tinypic.com/r/2e5um8h/7
    I'm pretty sure that's a bedbug... and again - it was dead smack in the middle of a sealed IKEA frame package.

I'm so sorry. But if this is any consolation, congratulations for being in the club that comes in with a boogie bug concern that actually has one. Again, I'm sorry. I don't know what to tell you, but do try to find justice in this.

27. LBP

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 27 2010 22:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone have similar stories with other delivered items? I've got an Amazon shipment (books and a DVD collection) coming in, and I'm starting to wonder...

28. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 28 2010 15:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

LBP,

If you're worried, open small packages over a white sink if possible -- so you'd see any bed bugs and could flush them down the drain if need be.

I wash new clothing before wearing (and bag it until it's washed) and pay a lot of attention to used (or library) books.

29. evervigilant

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 29 2010 0:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

LBP,

I order a lot from Amazon and earlier this year did get a book with several book lice in it. Amazon took it back, no problems, but that got me thinking. Although I assume they did not resell the one I sent back, when they take back books for other reasons, are they put back with the new books? So, now I just check all of them thoroughly and then put them in a ziploc and deep freeze them for a week. I like to read in bed and the freezing is more for my sanity than anything else...but it works

30. LBP

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 29 2010 3:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you check them? These are mysteries, and I don't want to do too much with them that may end up me seeing something I shouldn't in the ending.

The DVDs I can't freeze, of course, but they don't have pages...

31. evervigilant

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 29 2010 3:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I check my books just like Nobugsonme suggests - over the bathroom sink. It will catch anything and I have a bright light over it. I open the front and back covers first and really examine the cover/paper/spine. If it is a paperback, the spine is glued; if it is a hardback, I check the gaps.

When I got the book with lice, it was really obvious. There was a squished louse/lice between the last page and the back cover and there were weird marks on other pages.

I bought a bunch of used DVDs at a flea market last month and just took out the discs and froze the empty containers. (I know how crazy that sounds.) I then washed the discs with water to make sure nothing was on them.

I still buy a lot of used books, too, (Santa, please bring me a Kindle) but figure if I am putting one book in the freezer a week, I am also taking out one a week and it balances out

32. SearchandDestroy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 29 2010 19:53:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I packtite all books...my husband thinks I'm crazy, but hey..would rather be viewed as crazy than have those stinking bugs again.

Yes...E-readers all the way!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46