Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Need advice after pco visit

(10 posts)
  1. buggied

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 7:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a pco come in. It was determined that my Business (group home with 23 residents) has bed bugs.
    What's bugging me (pun intended) is that he didn't inspect the entire residence only confirmed what they are and said we have to do the entire residence.
    I think the price of 7800.00 for a 10 000 sq. foot place is not bad, but I don't know that we need to do the whole place. He said that's the only way to get a guarantee of 3 months.
    He has said they will spray 2 times 2 weeks apart. When asked he said they don't spray first with heat or cold. But when I asked if I could do it he said I could if I worked just a room ahead of the spraying.
    Tgey are using something called permatrend (spelling?)
    So I have a couple of problems and concerns with all of this and hope someone can give me some advice asap.

The money is not a question if I thought this would really get rid of our problem. I fear the mental health clients we have living there are just going to continue to visit the same places and bring them in. A good number of them send time in the shelters and visits friends in rooming houses where I know bugs are living.
    If I could be sure that the residents would comly with packing their stuff in bags on return and changing chothes and showering so staff can wash their clothes, I would be more acceptable to spratying everywhere for that money.
    the other problem is there is way way way too much stuff in the residence to bag everything.
    He also suggested after baggin electronics to use mothballs to kill the bugs.....has anyone ever heard of this. In all my reading I have never heard this before.
    Why would he suggugest doing all three levels of the very large residence if he only inspected one room?
    He seemed very nice and knowledgable and gave me examples of other places he has done.

Should I call someone elsethought for a second opinion. I want to do what's right, but honestly I have 33 beds and in the letter he gave us of what to do they even what the beds dismantled. Most of my residents will NEVER help with this preparation, so it's up to me and the staff.

I am in Ottawa. Do anyof you know anyone else good I could call?
    thanks

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 11:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I once worked in a group home and I applaud the way you are supporting the residents, and I know that they won't be able to get involved and so a lot is on your shoulders. I also know that your budget is tight and that is a lot of money to spend.

Here's what I suggest: If you can find a good bedbug sniffing dog, first have the entire home inspected. Then you can find exactly where the bedbugs are located and just have those rooms treated. It probably won't be the whole building and won't be as expensive, so the cost of the dog inspection will be covered. When you find out where the bedbugs, check that client's social networks. If a person has them in his room and he visits friends in other units, you have to keep an eye on those rooms, too. It's not just necessarily the adjacent rooms that can be infested. Once you clear the building (and I don't trust guarantees that have a time limit, since it takes however long it takes to get rid of bedbugs so be prepared to pay for multiple treatments) you can bring the bedbug sniffing dog in on a periodic basis. If you find the same client has bedbugs again, you know that client is bringing them in and you can follow up with his or her workshop or wherever they go during the day.

I don't know what kind of residents you have in your building, but where I worked there were some residents who had eagle eyesight and even though they happened to be clients with cognitive impairments, they somehow were able to see things that no one else did. You can see if those super-eyed clients can keep an eye out for bedbugs.

3. BBQueen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 11:40:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Pestguard in Ottawa uses canine inspection. That should tell you where the major problems are. From what I've been through, those areas will need the complete spraying, and others will need at least some level of spraying. (this was my case, I'm not sure if this is what the industry experts recommend - nor can I tell you whether I have had success yet, as I'm only a few days post-second treatment)

I'm curious about them telling you to 'go one room ahead'. Did they tell you that you would need to protect yourself from the chemicals? (I am not familiar with the one you mentioned) I had to be out of my house for four hours.

As for the residents, that will be a tough situation - I'm not sure how you will be able to control that, depending on the resident(s) in question. It seems like rigorous care is needed to ensure that they don't spread. I hope you have some help with this.

4. buggied

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 16:51:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both so much for your help!
    I called the company you suggested BBQueen and they are bringing in the dog tomorrow morning. So we'll see how that goes. I really want to try and eliminate this problem in the least intrusive way possible for my residents. I feel a bit like I am out of mind with the knowledge of the home having bed bugs, and all the work that is involved, so I can imagine how hard this is going to be for all my residents who already suffer with mental illness....

5. BBQueen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 18:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck with the situation. I know that it has been very stressful for me, so I'm sure it would be extremely traumatic for those already suffering from from mental illness.

Just a comment, though, is that I can't yet vouch for the effectiveness of their treatment, but I certainly hope to be able to.

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 19:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

When I went to a Boston Bedbug Conference, the experts said you should only treat where the bedbugs are. They stressed that it was thus very important that a PCO firm spend a lot of time in thorough inspection, and then apply the pesticide only to where the bedbugs were. This targeted method is actually more effective than broadly treating everything. If you treat where you don't have bedbugs, it is a waste of effort. I hope the dog defines the extent of the problem for you. There are hotels that use bedbug dogs regularly and they find the bedbugs in specific rooms and then treat those rooms. Your group home is like a "hotel" in some respects. Keep us posted as you fight the good fight.

7. buggied

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 20:54:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks BBqueen....I realize that you haven't had your second treatment yet, but i was happy to speak with Jason (I think that's his name) on the phone, he seems to have a great deal of experience and knowledge regarding bed bugs and feels that he can probably do this much cheaper.

My one concern is that he did mention the possiblity of using cryonite in conjucuntion with pesticide.

What he says makes sense even though I am concerned about the freezing as I have read such bad reviews and everyone on here is pretty short with most Cryonite pcos because they are pretty salesy (lol..I know that's not a word)

He says he would use pesticides (can't rememeber what) in the areas that wouldn't receive direct spray from the cryonite. cracks and outlets and such.

This would allow the residents to be able to use their electronics and so on, the little bit these residents own means so much to them and having them locked up for two weeks stresses them all out.

Some residents have respiratory problems and the heavy pesticide use will bother them, so will the smell be a problem for our paranoid schizophrenia (I know one in particular always thinks we are poisoning him anyway this is really going to bother him)

He says they don't use the steam anymore for varies reasons and was honest enough to indicate that time was an issue. Also this isn't as advatageous as the electronics are a big issue, all 25 residets have at least one tv, stereo, vcr's or dvds, some satelite recievers etc...

He is just starting to use this system and I indicated that if this a new thing I would hope to get a discount, which he agreed to (not sure the amount until tomorrow).

He also said we would need at least two treatments but does agree with me that the prevention from staff and residents for future problems is upmost!

Funny though I did a check in all the rooms today and noticed signs in quite a few rooms ....no one expect one has even complained and this was after he had a bad rash on his arm

It is so sad the residents are not bothered by this because almost all of them have encountered bed bugs before, for years and years from living in homeless shelters, rooming houses, other residences, and low income apartments, which leads me to believe this has been a problem for longer than I realized, I think it's only now that middle to high income families are being terribly effected is the media talking about it.

Anyway wish me luck tomorrow! I want to stop talking about it and do something about it.....The thought of those damn little buggies in the residence on my tenants is driving me nuts! (even if they haven't noticed)

For prevention we will be making sure
    All residents on overnights away from Residence will have to have clothes bagged and washed immediately on return, and they should shower.
    All new addmissions same thing.....we get many residents from hospital but they were staying homeless shelters prior to hospitalizations.
    We will now be vacuuming instead of sweeping
    I am buying a dry steamer to use occasionally
    We already have vinyl beds , but some get little rips, and they all have fabric piping so I will be getting encasments for ALL the mattress.
    As we need new beds we will replace any wood ones hopefully with metal (it's a bit too much money for all new beds right now ..foolishly we just bought 12 new pine beds with SLATS!.lol)
    I think I should get some DE......but i don't know where to get this...I will ask the PCO tomorrow...
    Staff are being trained in spotting for signs of BB
    I have copied the Guidelines for Prevention and Management of Bed Bugs in Shelters and Group Living Facilities http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/bb_guidelines/
    Clearing away clutter
    Staff to change from uniforms into home clothes at work (staff are cleaning rooms and handling all laundry and linens)

Is there anything else you can suggest to help prevent ??? I think this will be becoming an ongoing problem with the types of referrals we get and were are guest frequent....

PS do you think I should stay away from the cryonite, I know hospitals use it as do hotels, and for similar reasons to why I am being swayed toward it.
    Thanks (sorry for the length)
    This is an amazing forum, really I have spent hours reading and the users are exceptionally helpful and supportive and not just in relation to BB but in general as well.....great site

8. BBQueen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 21:08:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll respond to the issues specific to this pco and leave the rest to the experts.

Interesting about the cryonite. They only used pesticide here, but I'm in a single family dwelling, and the infestation was 'light' and 'limited' to a couple of spots in one room -although try and tell that to my sleepless brain! They never mentioned cryonite, but perhaps they only use that in certain situations. There is someone here in Ottawa that is a supplier of cryonite, but can only sell the system to licensed pcos.

It sounds like you will need to have a 'check-in' system set up as residents return from outside. Not sure if you already have that, but I could see that being a complication.

As for the chemical smell, I suffer from sinusitus (in fact dust is a big problem for me, so I guess I should have bought encasements before!), and I did notice a chemical smell when I walked in at first, it didn't bother me. They used Permethryn here.

check your pms because I have a further comment to send to you.

9. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 23:17:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Now here is an example of somebody with a problem. Transient community, with many marching to entirely different drummers. Challenging issue, to say the least!

I don't know if encasing vinyl beds is necessary. Perhaps some duct tape? But I'll let somebody qualified address that one.

You answered a question that popped to mind immediately--would an 'emotionally challenged' population necessarily need to be peeled off of the ceiling at this news? I had my own hunch but I believe you are saying they're well taking it on the chin. Which was my hunch.

Meanwhile the 'worried well' are going bonkers.

Most interesting.

Good luck!

10. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 23:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - You can buy DE at Rest Assured, right in Ottawa :P:

http://www.restassuredmc.com/

CANADA
    43 Grenfell Cr, Unit 2
    Ottawa,Ontario,
    K2G 0G3

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams