Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Need advice about dealing with all of this.

(8 posts)
  1. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 22 2012 23:45:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh, I am just so overwhelmed right now. I had posted my story in another thread, about my cousin maybe giving me BBs. So I had that live adult last week, and today I peeled off the white protector things on my bed frame, and found a cast skin. Should I tell my LL ASAP, do I tell the neighbors (who we really don't talk to much. It is a 6 unit building). It's so strange, because no one is having any bites, and apart from that cast skin, I didn't find anything else suspicious on my bed. I'm terrified that if I tell them, they'll blame my family, and I'm dreading communicating with my LL (his English is, for lack of a better word, bizarre). I'm going to spend all day tomorrow getting rid of any clutter, and hopefully, it'll be such a small problem, we'll be able to deal with it quickly. It's just so annoying, because it is coming at the worst possible time (I wasn't busy the whole summer, and now I've got college, work, and an internship coming up). They sure know when to pick a helluva time messing up someone's life.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2012 1:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you post a closeup (macro shot) of the cast skin to get its ID confirmed by an expert here?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2012 2:28:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I had actually put it up in an earlier post, and Killer Queen confirmed it as a cast skin. These were the photos.

http://tinypic.com/r/2i9i72p/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/2ex0v84/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/rkt3lj/6

4. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2012 10:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but truly, there is no easy time to deal with it.

In my opinion, you absolutely should tell both your landlord and your neighbors. For all you know they could be coming from another apartment. I thought for sure that the source of the bugs came from my apartment, and lo and behold I found out that it actually came from my downstairs neighbor. And in NYC, your landlord is legally obligated to have the problem treated professionally.

Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

5. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2012 20:22:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Buggy! I'm currently trying to get in contact with my LL. Called him last night, left a message. Have yet to get a reply. Maybe he's on vacation...hopefully not. I had a funny chat with my friend today. She currently lives in LI, and when I told her what was going on, she cheerfully responded "Oh, I think I had them a few years ago!". Mind you, I was at her house alllll the time, and would sit in her bed till the early morning hours on a daily basis. When I explained to her I doubt she had them, she proceeded to tell me that she was getting bit at night by something, and that after her mother bought some Hot Shot spray and sprayed the bed, she stopped getting bit, so it was almost certainly BBs. I just shook my head for a while....

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2012 21:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yup, bed bug shed/cast skin. Sorry.

Comments for your consideration:

> If no one is being bitten, perhaps you caught this way early which is good. However, let's not be overconfident or underestimate the threat of a BB outbreak at your place either.

> It's good that your starting to "de-clutter". Also, start packing garments you don't need right away into sealed plastic bags (trash bags twist tied are fine).

> Leave about four to seven days worth of clothes out to use for now.

> Conduct an inspection of all the typical bed bug hiding places, especially your bed & bed frame.

> Be sure to use a decent LED flashlight and get a magnifying glass if you can't see small objects well.

> Manipulate the light when viewing surfaces such that you can better see eggs.

> If you elect to use some direct spray/kill type insecticide products, please read the label and apply carefully.

> Let us know how you do with your LL and if any additional questions or concerns.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2012 22:12:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Yup, I've actually been making my family leave all our clothes in bags since it happened. We've thrown out about 8(!!!) bags full of stuff we didn't want/use/need. I do have a few questions, actually. Is there any way to identify what stage the BB was in from the shed skin? I (foolishly) didn't even think to remove the protectors from my frame until yesterday. Is it possible that it's from the adult I saw 2 weeks ago?

I'm also curious about their feeding habits with regards to a person's sleeping schedule. I know they prefer to come out when someone is in a deep sleep, so for most, that's around 3-6 am. However, in my case, it's summer, and I'm off from school, so I generally sleep during the day, and I'm up all night (hey, no judging, I'm on vacation). Will they just adapt to my sleeping pattern, so they'll just wait for me to eventually pass out at like 8 am? I feel like since it's been 2 weeks (It'll be 15 days tomorrow) ,I should have spotted something in the middle of the night, or anything really by this point. Like you said, I won't try to get too optimistic, but I'm going to assume by this point, I won't have any BBs dropping down from the ceiling to come and get me.

8. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 24 2012 13:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

While BBs prefer to feed at night they will certainly feed during the day if that is the only time their host is around.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,846 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas