Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

NEED ADVICE -

(5 posts)
  1. buggedinmilwaukee

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 10 2012 19:22:33
    #

Login to Send PM

we found bed bugs about a month ago in our apartment. we then found out other units have/had them too. we went through everything, threw out furniture with holes in it, laundered everything, packed everything up, etc....the exterminator came and steamed and left residual chemicals. that night we found 3 bugs on the walls. 2 dead, one alive. I've heard that's normal with chemicals. I did not, however, feel that the exterminator was thorough. he didn't remove lightswitch or electrical outlet plates, and we never heard of any plan for a follow up because as he said, he's %95 effective the first time.

2 weeks later, we found a nice, fed, bed bug up on the wall. we called the exterminator back immediately and he came to see. He checked our bedroom and livingroom for bugs or signs of them. He said he saw nothing. Still no plan for a second treatment.

soon after we received a 5 day notice from our landlord telling us we didn't follow instructions, and to fix the problem or they will evict us. We are working with them on terminating the lease, and have since found another place to move into in a few weeks. We are taking EVERY precaution possible to move without the bugs, and throwing about 90% of our furniture because we just don't want to risk it.

We also haven't seen any new feces, bugs, or anything, and we haven't gotten any bites. Of course this doesn't mean much, because there could be 10 bugs hiding really well or something.

But what are the chances that that was the only bug? Just a straggler perhaps that bit us after crossing the chemicals? It was up by the ceiling, which is odd for a healthy bug...

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 10 2012 20:52:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think anyone can reassure you that this was likely just one bug. There's no way of knowing. It is quite possible other attached units may have an issue.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. buggedinmilwaukee

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 10 2012 22:04:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, our building manager who lives in the unit below us had bed bugs fairly recently...

4. Blackheart

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 10 2012 23:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged, sorry for what you are going through, I know how it is. Ignore their stupid eviction stuff, they would have to prove you caused the bug problem to begin with.

Here in Toronto, the Landlord has to remedy the problem regardless, so I believe it should probably be likewise elsewhere, bad enough what your dealing with, never mind them threatening you.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Aug 11 2012 19:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Blackheart - 20 hours ago  » 
    Ignore their stupid eviction stuff, they would have to prove you caused the bug problem to begin with.

Actually, I think ignoring an eviction threat is not wise. What landlords can do may vary a great deal based on local laws and the lease in question.

Instead, seek advice from a lawyer, legal aid, or a tenants' organization. There's one in Madison which will give advice to tenants statewide. See the Landlord/Tenant resources in the Resources page, and consider calling their hotline for information on your rights.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula