Need a new strategy

(5 posts)
  1. Bite me

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 20:58:44
    #

Login to Send PM

As most of you, I'm going mad with this. It's been 2 months and I haven't slept in my bed. I moved to my parents place once I realized I had bedbugs and educated myself before doing so and only brought bagged items there. I've spent several hundred dollars already on laundry, dry cleaning, bags etc. My landlord has payed for 2 treatments as law dictates in Ontario, Canada.

I just saw a bug at my parents place. At least I'm pretty sure it was a bedbug. I should mention that I haven't been bit once while staying there. I believe it came out of one of my ziploc bags of treated clothes.

I need a new course of action or I don't think I'll ever come back from this. I don't want to go half assed and never get rid of the problem, but neither do I have a money tree.

If I decide to do a thermal treatment, I will have to pay for it, and it will cost me close to $1000-will this mean that I don't have to re-wash all my clothes? Will it be a guarantee that they'll be gone from anywhere in my home?

If I purchase a packtite and steamer, does it still mean that I have to wash all the clothes? What do you do with things as you run them through the packtite....put them in expensive airtight boxes?

I travel for a living. I cannot avoid hotels and airplanes. This may be how I brought them home in the first place.

Let's say I have an overall budget of $2000. What would you suggest I do? I'm not adverse to moving. I no longer feel comfortable in my home and don't know if I ever will.

And what do I do with my parents place now...they also rent and were actually planning a move within a few months.

I've read through all the FAQ's and many of the posts here but I can no longer think straight. Just the thought of re-doing everything I've done, and then going and doing it at my parens makes me want to check into a psych ward. Seriously.

Please help!

2. scaredsilly

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 21:21:14
    #

Login to Send PM

It TERRIFIES me that a bug came out of your treated clothes. Are you sure that's where it came from? Dried clothes should go through an extra 30 minute cycle in the hot dryer to kill eggs. It is the dryer that kills them, not so much the washer. However, I use the packtight for extra safety and also for blankets, etc. I love it, you may want to invest in one. My packtighted stuff goes into clean ziplocks. If you had one bug come out of treated stuff, then all of the clothes should be re-heated and sealed. Maybe the dryer didn't get hot enough, or maybe it was overloaded. You may want to install monitors at your parents' place to make sure they don't have any more bugs.

As for moving, I think you need to decide how much you like your apartment. If you really like it, maybe it would be worth Thermal treatment. With thermal, I believe you would unpack everything and all of your stuff would be cooked inside the apartment all at once. I don't think you would need to redo all of your clothes, but I have not had Thermal. You should ask Buggyinsocal or others here who have had thermal success.

3. Bite me

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 22:26:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it terrifies me too. I can't be sure that's where it came from but it makes sense. I took the socks out and put them on a blanket on the couch. The next day I saw the bug coming at me on one of the couch cushions. I took everything and baked it in the dryer another 30 minutes and vaccuumed the hell out of the couch and area. I haven't been bitten at their place.
    I'm tired...I can't do it again. I live alone and will likely stay alone as long as I have this problem....I think it's time I invested in a packtite, but I understand they're backordered and I live in Canada...I just want a normal life again. My neighbours must think I'm batty, seeing me going around with all my shit in ziploc bags. I'm starting to date someone...which date is the appropriate one to tell someone about your infestations?

4. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 6:27:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're not 100% positive this recent bug was a BB...if you see a bug walking again, kill it, or get it stuck on some tape, or do both. Then post the picture for the bug people. It's a great way to kill uncertainty.

I sleep with a flashlight and tape and have double sided tape dispensers all over my room. If I see something, I so grab it.

5. Bite me

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 11:13:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I did in fact catch this bug at my parents' place and took a picture of it, but it was hard to see the detail. So, when I went to buy my encasements from a local PCO office here in Toronto, I brought the bugger along. He put it under the microscope and declared it a stink bug!!! Yay! Thank god!

I was truly beside myself. I have moved home, and I am confident that I didn't bring them to my parents. We'll see how long it takes for me to feel comfortable in my own home and to unpack my things. I believe I read here that you should wait a month with no signs before putting clothes away. I had my treatments here on August 12th and 24th and my place was left unoccupied and untouched for 4 weeks after the second treatment, and I even left a Home defense strip in my bedroom for an added touch. I since came home, cleaned up(vacuumed, bleached etc), encased my mattress and moved back in. So far so good.

When I'd originally treated my clothes, I used the dryer only method on most of my clean clothes. Delicates are less likely to ruin if just put in the dryer when they're already dry, but I might as well have tossed half my clothes if I was going to wash and dry them on hot. This way, even cashmere sweaters and delicate lingerie will see another day. I had read that this was fine, and the dryers in my building's laundromat get extremely hot. In fact I usually don't put them on the high setting because it's too hot! So I was insane when I saw that bug. Put your mind at ease, scaredsilly, as I have. I did NOT mess up my laundry!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88