Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Need a bit of a reality check!

(6 posts)
  1. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 15:12:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I do. I'm a tad freaked out right now. I have not had a bite since my first spray nor have I seen one since then at all. Now, I did have a light infestation that didn't get too big even though it took two months before the PCO could come in and spray. I've been sleeping in my living room where this whole thing was originally centered. And am still bite free. I have yet to be brave enough to venture into my bedroom which was still sprayed but pretty much deemed clean from the get go. I did have to resort to total isolation of my futon in the living room since Climbups won't fit under the legs, but I inspect behind the futon and along the wall area for new signs regularly and so far, nada.

Anyway this morning I noticed a cobweb way up in the corner along the ceiling with a few dark flecks stuck in it! GAH!!!! Freakout mode! So I got up there and while the flecks stuck in the cobwebs weren't dead bbs from what I could tell, as they appeared to have wings, I did notice a small amount of bb feces in that same area/corner. Grrrrrrrrr!!! Not a lot mind you, about 3 or 4 spots in all. Now, I never really looked up in that area at all during my infestation and you couldn't see the feces from ground level. In addition, this area, while a few feet away and higher, is along the same wall where the bugs set up shop in a long discarded poster and frame. I am 90% sure this was their main lair as it was the only place in all my infestation I had ever seen a largish collection of evidence and the PCO only saw two while he was here the first spray and none the second time, nor any real evidence around the place or in my mattresses or frames to suggest another major shop.

What are my chances that this is old evidence and not new evidence? Anyone have any recommendations as to how to monitor since climbups are out for both my futon and bed? The dry ice might not be ideal since I have kitties who get into EVERYTHING. The sane part of me knows that it is simply wait and see, and that given lack of any other evidence, my chances are good it is a discovery of something old, but I am jittery as all get out and my anxiety is setting in. Time for a pill! Oh bb aftermath. You really are a b*tch!

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 15:48:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Was the spider still there? Spiders do have fecal dropping and they are very acidic. Some sit in the web and some against the wall waiting for prey.

If the area is productive a spider will stay put unless disturbed. Look on the floor under the web for old food it kick out.

Could be old evidence especially if the spider has left to find food elsewhere because this location wasn't productive anymore.

Check this pic out. Spider, captured food, and spider moltings. This guy found a good place and would live out his life content to eat what came though that hole.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/spideyjg/BBs/dryer006.jpg

Jim

3. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 16:05:58
    #

Login to Send PM

hey persephone
    sympathies on the freak out. . .i think it is pretty unlikely bbs would be hanging out there and not coming down to feed, given you sleep right in the room giving off "come and get me C02" on a nightly basis.. and you're a bite reactor, right? so if you were bitten, even once, you'd know.
    i bet its either old bb poop or spider poop ala spidey's post. i assumed you cleaned it (the mystery bug poop) so if you're worried there is a rogue bb or two hideyholed up there and secretly biting the kitties which is why you don't have bites (which is doubtful, but i know when i'm in freak out mode thats exactly the kind of thing i would be thinking, just substitute dog for cat) then just check that spot in a week or so - if no new evidence, then it was old. unless there is both new 'poop' and new web, in which case spidey's guess that it was spider poop is probably it.
    i hope you're clear!!! are you waiting for 60 days clear before you use the bedroom (so in case anybody is still around they don't follow you into the bedroom?), or why still in the living room? its smart and brave if you're doing it to protect your bedroom. much braver than me after going nuts with being bed bug bait (and food) for the bbs in my sofas, i totally abandoned my living room for tarped off treatment (which ended last sunday)-canine inspection this tuesday should tell me whether i can venture back in . . .

knock wood we're both in the clear and just suffering post bb neuroticicism

4. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 16:12:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks a bunch Spideyjg! After some coffee and your post, I am calming down now!

No sign of the spider. If he was, I would have left him and his home right there. This corner while there are no cracks, is not too far from a window and it wasn't too, too far from my harborage, so there is a chance he sauntered off elsewhere in search of another diner since it is winter and the major bb harborage is gone. From the photo, the fecal matter could have come from the spider too. Looks similar to what I saw, but also could have been from a bb, however there were no other signs in that corner. So we will see.

On a side note, I used to have severe arachnophobia, but bb's have cured me. A week into my infestation I found the granddaddy of all bbs (this sucker was HUGE and UGLY!) caught dead in a cobweb in my bathroom. Now, spiders are my new best friends. I'd fill my house with them if I could. Eat on my little friends, eat on!

5. upagain

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 17:27:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found plenty of spider webs in my house. Under each of them I usually find black dots and sometimes white. When I first went through my scare, these drove me nuts. Now I know they are normal.

6. persephone86

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 13 2010 18:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks wchicago and upagain! I am a bite reactor. Two hours at the most after being bit and I look like a swarm of mosquitoes has attacked, so I would know if they bit me. I'm finally calming down. I cleaned and plan to recheck the area often just to see. And if they were, you're right, I'm sure they'd have bitten by now. Either by finding a way past my isolators on the feet or by dive bombing from the ceiling. I am a tasty treat after all. Very hard to resist.

And yes, I've been sleeping in the living room as bait since my infestation began. First on metal chairs next to the futon to keep them interested, but away from me, and then after spraying, on the futon to draw them out into the poison and monitor the area. I am waiting to go into my bedroom until I feel comfortable doing so, whenever that may be! Bed is encased, completely isolated and all cracks in the frame are caulked, but my bb neuroticicism hasn't allowed me to venture in there to sleep just yet. Luckily my futon mattress is an inner spring, so it's nice and comfy!

And I hope the tarped off treatment works for you, wchicago! I know what an ordeal you've been going through. Fingers and toes are all crossed that you get the all clear from the furry bb inspector!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88