Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Nearly 2 months of nothing then found one???

(9 posts)
  1. anxietywreck

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 9:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel so defeated and overwhelmed I don't know what to do.
    The day before Halloween I found a bed bug crawling on my leg on my sofa. Naturally I freaked out and found one more on our bed and another underneath the sofa cushion. Husband went to the store and got some Hot Shot for the night to pacify me and we were up until 6 in the morning washing absolutely everything we own.
    He has had bbs before, I have not, and together we scoured the house looking for signs of them. We found nothing; no shells, no eggs, no dead or alive bugs.
    November 7+8 we found one each day on the wall in the living room. November 13th we retreated again both the living and bed rooms.
    Since then nothing. We found a dead guy with no legs and what appeared to be dried up poop in him on December 13th.
    Well now it's December 31st, nearly to the fabled 56 days of no bugs and you're probably good to go and I find one on my nightstand last night. I am a nervous wreck now. We have a 3 month old daughter sleeping in her bassinet and where I live it is far too cold to remove her from our home to deep treat.

Is it possible at all that this was a straggler from the first round? I've been neurotically checking everything nearly every day and have come up continually empty handed. I feel like a failure and an idiot for believing it would be that easy. No bites, no poop, no eggs, no shells, can someone please help???????

2. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 10:20:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have a picture of the one you found?
    You've not a failure, you got rid of most of them. Just keep monitoring.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 10:20:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have a picture of the one you found?
    You've not a failure, you got rid of most of them. Just keep monitoring.

4. anxietywreck

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 11:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

No it was late and I panicked and flushed it down the toilet....

I've spent the last two hours with an LED flashlight looking EVERYWHERE in the bedroom. I feel neurotic and my husband is not on board at all, he's convinced it was just one and I'm making myself sick freaking out about it.

5. Helerown

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 11:48:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Just curious was your place professionally treated initially? I so feel your pain...but I didn't feel confident enough in my ability to treat my place myself. Apparently these things are very hard to get rid of and I knew nothing about them prior. Do you live in a single family home or an apartment? Any idea how they showed up to begin with? Sorry to ask so many questions, but seeing only one is seeing one too many!!! My place was professionally treated twice and I'm petrified im going to see one. Everyone thinks my place is fine now, but I no longer feel comfortable here. I'm on edge every second I'm home.

6. anxietywreck

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 12:05:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Heleron,

No my husband and I cannot afford to have a professional come in. We used Orkin spray, Hot Shot spray, and 100 Proof spray when we treated. We live in an apartment complex. We have no idea where they came from unless they tagged along after a Walmart trip or from mine or my husband's work (we both work in public places like schools). I so understand your feeling. I live in a constant state of hyper awareness. I just (after well over two hours of searching along the baseboards, closet, inside the box spring, in the dresser, and bagging an assortment of random things again and furiously sweeping) finished spraying with the left over spray from two months ago. I found NOTHING. I don't know if I should feel glad or even more psychotic because I know I am a thorough person and I have no idea where else to look for these jerks!

7. Helerown

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Dec 31 2017 12:31:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Apparently apartment complexes are supposedly very susceptible. I own a condo/town house and have had the same neighbors (two single older women) for the entire 3 1/2 years I've lived here. So I doubt it's from them. I'm convinced it was either from my ex husbands house or my daughter's school, as she was initially the one with very alarmingly bites. Maybe call your landlord/property manager? Perhaps another apt near you has an infestation and that's why after 2 months you saw another. They will most likely send someone out. If you, and I pray you don't, see another one save it as evidence. Most decent property managers will want to treat at their expense.

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 1 2018 23:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Time to speak with management and see if they are responsible for treatment or at least willing to help. The problem could be coming from a neighbor that they may or may not know about. Surrounding apartments need inspections to determine the extent or source of the problem.

Taking on bed bugs is not a hobby nor good advice. You should find a way to get professional help. That would be priority for me with a little one in the house. Its not wise to spray chemicals in a home with children when you don't know what you're doing.

Your problem sounds more advanced then you think .. please talk with management asap. Good Luck!

9. Bedbugmom41

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jan 2 2018 7:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen is an expert.
    I am not.
    However I found that when I had an infestation, the only time I saw BB on the wall was after treatment. The spray makes them do unusual things as it is killing them. My PCO treated the other apartments next to mine in a cross pattern to prevent stragglers from relocating. My guess is one of your neighbor was treated (or self treated) and the BB are trying to relocate in your apartment.
    This is serious stuff. You need to speak with your 'LL asap.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982