Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Mystery Bites (Probably NOT bed bugs but have no idea...)

(3 posts)
  1. tc2566

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 25 2013 19:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently moved to NYC in September of 2011. I purchased a crappy (wood frame) bed and Flokenes mattress from IKEA (new) among other various furniture and everything was grand. In November, I had a friend visit who used my bed.
    Immediately after they left, I would wake up in the middle of the night scratching at ~dime sized welts on my arms and chest. I thought bug beds and checked the internets and looked the for signs, but no signs. I contacted my friend and no symptoms from them either. And after a few weeks of troubleshooting they just went away! Huzzah! Problem solved?
    Then comes summer. I had not installed an AC in my room when it started getting hot and humid in NYC and the itchy mystery "bites" returned. After I installed my AC and started running it at night, it stopped. Odd, no?
    After the summer of 2012, I moved to a new place and have had no issues, bites or otherwise, since the summer. Now, last night it got warm but not warmer than it has been before this (we had a warm week in May), and I woke up scratching the tip of my middle finger, my bicep, and my shoulder, all on the right side. I IMMEDIATELY turned lights on and started checking for bed bugs, but couldn't find any. So I went back to bed and woke up again itching my face this time. Checked again. Nothing. So I flipped my mattress over and slept the rest of the night.
    When I got back from work (today) I checked the mattress seems and the baseboards around the bed and all the recommended spots for bed bugs, and bed bug feces but found nothing conclusive.

I'm fairly certain my issue is not bed bug related. But I'm at a loss for what it could be. I don't see how it's environmental considering it has happened in two separate apartments. I'm skeptical of my heat dependence observation but I don't have this issue in the winter or in sub-30 C, not-stupid-humid NYC weather. I suppose it could be a mattress issue, but why sporadically? We'll see whether or not I incur new more different spots tonight!

Thanks for your insights!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jun 25 2013 23:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The humidity/heat makes me mad itchy. Maybe it's that?

Bed bug monitors may help you rule out bed bugs. However, if you have them, and I think that's REALLY unlikely, it's probably a very recent introduction. If you had them since last summer I don't think you'd have any trouble seeing signs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bea_or_bug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 3 2013 12:19:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey newbite,

I have been having a strangely similar experience as you for the past month. I came home from vacation and the first night back in my apartment had some mysterious dime sized welts. Some were itchy, others weren't. At first I thought they were mosquito bites, then I thought it was a strange rash. But after a friend spent the night and woke up with them too, we were quite suspicious of bed bugs. I had an exterminator come immediately to inspect, and he said from his experience, I definitely did not have bed bugs... I was so relieved! Except I am still getting the welts all over - some in patches - some not. And i am waking up feeling "crawly." Perhaps its paranoia, but I'm not convinced yet that it's NOT bed bugs. Traps the exterminator set have caught nothing but a few gnats and a spider beetle. My research is telling me that spider beetles do not bite, but that some can have an allergic reaction to their presence. Please share any resolution you find!

Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls