Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Mystery Bites driving me CRAZY.

(5 posts)
  1. jeanbean

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 24 2010 21:14:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I just moved into a new apartment after living in a BB infested building for several months months. It would be an understatement to say that this experience was traumatizing for me. Since January I have been averaging about 4 hours of sleep per night and have been constantly feeling as though I have been getting bitten, even after multiple PCOs had confirmed that the BBs were gone from my old apartment. My old roommate (who had severe bite reactions) was no longer getting bitten, but I was still getting small raised welts that would have a pinprick and then would disappear within a few hours or a day at the most.

Now I have moved from my old apartment into a new one, and have been here for about 2 months. I have been in a constant state of paranoia about getting them in my new apartment so I did not bring any of my furniture or clothing to my new apartment, and I am still living out of plastic bags.

I had a dog inspect the new apartment, and it was given the all clear, and I have even had a PCO come and do 2 precautionary treatments to be on the safe side.

The thing is, I am still getting bites. Sometimes they go away within a few hours, other times they will stay for days. I have a rash that keeps coming up on my chest, and most of the bites will be on my arms, shoulders and back. The strange thing is these are usually areas that are under my clothes and not exposed at all. I also mainly get these "bites" during the day. My new roommate has not had any bites at all.

I have no evidence of bbs in my apartment, and you would think after 2 months of getting this many bites there would be at least some signs. It has been suggested to me that I may be giving myself hives due to stress. But they look and feel just like bites and happen when I am sitting on my couch!

I am honestly feeling like I am losing my mind at this point. Has anyone else experienced anything else like this post BB? I would almost rather believe that it is all in my head but I cant find any other explanation other than BBs. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. mysterybitesSF

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 1:28:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so glad to read this post! I don't know that I've ever had bedbugs, but I have what I've termed "mystery bug bites" and it's been going on for about a year. It's going to drive me insane soon if I don't get it figured out. I wish I had advice for you, but I'm actually posting because I'm hoping that with your story and mine together, someone can give us some idea of where our bites are coming from!

I share a bed with my husband- he never gets bites. Our dog often sleeps with us too- but I've had to deal with fleas before (not from my dog, from a former dog in an old house I lived in) and what I have are absolutely not flea bites. I almost always get single bites- never multiples clustered together. My dog is flea-free, anyway. I get bites when I sleep, but I also get them when I'm awake and out of the house! Sometimes they last for weeks and they don't get any less itchy the entire time. I get them mostly on my arms, chest, back, ears, and stomach, and oddly, often below my underwear line in my pubic hair. Hardly ever on exposed areas of my skin except my ears.

We thought we must have bedbugs last year- even though my husband doesn't get bit- but we have never seen a single one. We even had a pest control inspector come out and check our bed and mattress and he saw absolutely no signs of bugs. We washed everything really well, threw away our pillows. We have since moved, and still no relief from the bites.

Is it possible for us to have not seen a single bug (and I've checked everywhere, I constantly check the mattress seams before bed too) and for my husband to never get bit, and for an inspector to have been wrong, and we still have bugs? If not, then what's going on with my body?

Just to clarify, I don't get rashes. They are not hives or flea bites. It's not a hair follicle issue. I don't have scabies. Other ideas?

3. jjakk

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 1:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

You are not crazy - unless we both are. I had a pco here tuesday and could not find an infestation.

But I have been getting bites in 3s within an inch of each other only on my 'back' and I sleep with a t-shirt, sweatshirt, sweatpants and socks on. Also I sleep mostly on my back !! Crazy huh!

When the bites occur they are like a pin prick then raise up with a dot in the middle. When I scratch them they itch like crazy for days on end.

Get the Climb Up Interceptors for your bed. I just got mine today - that will indicate if you have something climbing up the legs of your bed.

4. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 7:37:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe a visit to a dermatologist might be helpful to both of you. I have had my house inspected by 3 PCO's and a K9, all negative for BB's. I have BB Alert passive monitors on all beds and sofa, which are consistently clean with no evidence of BB's.

Since my BB scare beginning in August, I have noticed many things on my skin. I finally bit the bullet and went to the derm. I have red dots/blemishes on my skin that never go away. Derm said it was an inherited condition and nothing can be done for it. I also get small single bumps on random parts of my body that usually do not itch and look like small raised pores. They last from a few hours to a couple days and then vanish. Derm says it is follicular and that we have many tiny hairs on our body that we can't see and sometimes they get inflammed. He actually said I have follicular eczema, which is also inherited. I was quite puzzled because I don't have typical dry skin, although it has always been sensitive. Given the lengths I have gone to rule out BB's, I have to believe in what he says and move on.

He recommended the following: short (10 min), warm (not hot, which can irritate skin) showers with antibacterial mild soap such as Cetaphil Antibacterial and moisturing damp (not fully dry) skin with fragrance free lotion such as Lubriderm. Washing clothing and bedding with fragrance free detergent such as All Free and Clear and no use of fabric softener unless it's the fragrance free dryer sheets now available.

I have been doing this for a few days only and I have noticed a decrease in my bumps. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it will help you figure out what is going on with your skin. Good luck to you both.

5. jjakk

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 23 2010 11:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

@'soconfused' - thank you for your input on the skin issues and the details of it. Actually I think it helps confirm that what I am experiencing is bites. It's not like what you describe here. What I get are distinct mosquito like raised bites and they start with an itch, then scratch them and look in the mirror and it's always the pattern of 3 linear or triangular pin prick bites with a red center and itch like crazy. They have a pin dot in the center and last for weeks. The last 3 series are still clearly visible and can be pointed out. The itching is typical of a 'histamine' reaction and gets worse the more I scratch it. A product that does help the itching is Gold Bond body lotion. The relief is short lived though. I certainly wish it was an allergy but I have had experience with dry skin and always use an aloe cream after showering to moisturize it. Also I always clearly see the bloodstains on my t-shirt when the bites occur. Sometimes the first thing I see is the blood stains on the shirt and then look for the bites. Glad you found resolution and appreciate your story !

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88