Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

My Washer and Dryer and Microwave

(7 posts)
  1. misery

    senior member
    Joined: Oct '14
    Posts: 432

    offline

    Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 9:51:26
    #



    Login to Send PM

    So I don't know if anyone recalls my situation but I had moved into a building that was infested. Now I am moving (from a relative's) and I am not sure what to do with my washer/dryer or microwave. Are these things safe? I know statistics say yes, but my mental state and personal relationships were damaged the first time and I am unwilling to risk round two. Should I treat these items? And how? I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Can I use Cimexa on the floor underneath them, I have a pet and toddler. This totally slipped my mind until the moving truck came.... thanks in advance. I don't know who else to ask!!

    Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  2. Richard56

    oldtimer
    Joined: Jul '10
    Posts: 2,223

    offline

    Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 13:05:42
    #



    Login to Send PM

    You post is a little unclear. Has the place you're moving from been treated by a professional and have you gotten an "all clear", and is that the same place where the washer, dryer and microwave are? If so, I don't see why you would have to treat the washer/dryer or microwave prior to moving.

    Richard

  3. misery

    senior member
    Joined: Oct '14
    Posts: 432

    offline

    Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 13:28:23
    #



    Login to Send PM

    The washer/dryer/microwave were all in a shed outside the last 9 months. The place I am moving from has no bugs.

  4. Richard56

    oldtimer
    Joined: Jul '10
    Posts: 2,223

    offline

    Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 13:31:14
    #



    Login to Send PM

    Sorry your story is still unclear. Maybe start by telling us why you think the washer, dryer and microwave might be infested. Were they in the building that was infested in the past? If so, what was the extent of the infestation? Was that building treated? Did you get an "all clear"?

    Richard

  5. misery

    senior member
    Joined: Oct '14
    Posts: 432

    offline

    Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 14:23:41
    #



    Login to Send PM

    It was in the infested building. It was treated by a PCO who said the basement didn't need treatment even though I found them there around the adjoining wall. I never got the clear. I moved due to an inept PCO and uncooperative landlord. And for my sanity.

  6. Richard56

    oldtimer
    Joined: Jul '10
    Posts: 2,223

    offline

    Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 28 2015 14:39:55
    #



    Login to Send PM

    I'm still not getting the entire picture, but in general the items you mention do not typically have bed bugs unless there is a significant infestation. Also, bed bugs can only live a finite period of time without a meal. If the items mentioned were stored at room temperature, then then any potential bugs would either have vacated or be dead within 4-5 months, unless they had access to a human host during that time. If the temperature was colder, they could survive longer without a meal. Beyond that I can't really be more helpful without a much more detailed picture of what happened. Given that it sounds like the move is imminent, treatment is one possibility, but it might be just as easy and cost effective to bring a in PCO for an inspection, or a dog team to sniff those items. I'm not at all saying this is necessary, but it seems like one way to bring your comfort level closer to 100% which it doesn't appear to be now.

    Richard

  7. misery

    senior member
    Joined: Oct '14
    Posts: 432

    offline

    Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2015 16:15:30
    #



    Login to Send PM

    Thank you Richard, I appreciate it. I am not a praying person but since moving here I am getting into the habit of doing just that. I don't think I could be any more meticulous than I have been (if you knew me, you'd know i'm crazy about these things lol) so i'm hoping my appliances were safe. I'm in full on panic mode since moving, a lot of old feelings and fears creeping back into my mind. These suckers really are damaging to people, not just furniture. I did want to say thank you though. You helped to assuage my fears a little, and every little bit does help.


RSS feed for this topic


Reply

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver