my trick [bug bombs; not a good idea]

(14 posts)
  1. jschacht66

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 1:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

So my apt i moved into of course has bb. I swear they are comming from my neighbors place since shes old, has cats, snd cant clean by herself. Point is my landlord who is awesome gave me bb bombs and spray. Bomb once a wk then vacuum, mop, and spray right after. Do this for 3-4 wks. This first wk i did this (last wk) i didnt notice too much of a change, and i had baby bb...ew. so before i redid the treatment i ripped off my homemade matress plastic coverings and pulled my matresses up standing erect. I put both bombs in my bdrm on either side of the box springs since this is where i saw a few. Once home again i soaked the hell out of all sides of both the box springs and matress with the bb spray. Then i sprayed lavender oil on yhem. (i read bb hate the scent of lavender oil) i then proceeded to re-encase both the box springs and matress (individually) in clear painters tarp since its a thicker plastic. so far its now been 4 days after that set and no signs of any bugs! Sooo next wk i will redo the entire treatment but leave the plastic on. i also did see one dead one INSIDE the plastic on the bedframe part. Since it was dead i was happy to think maybe i suffocated the ones imbedded. I hope this helps whomever. Oh also u dont NEED to wash everything if it doesnt need to be washed, i toss my in the dryer, bb hate high heat. So before i make my bed i toss my sheets and conforter in the dryer, also sprits them with lavender. Helps to sleep well to.

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 9:05:52
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a bad trick. You should never use bedbug bombs. Period.

They can do more harm than good, and they can drive the bedbugs deep into the walls, making future efforts very difficult.

Please read our FAQ section for appropriate ways to treat bedbugs.

Question: Many people think they have bedbugs when they actually don't. I'm assuming you actually saw a bedbug? If so could you please post a picture for our experts to identify. There are many bugs that look like bedbugs, and it's very important to make sure what were dealing with.

Please stop using the bedbug bombs and do a little research first.

Richard

3. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 10:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert, but I've read many places not to spray your mattress unless an expert confirms that the product is okay for use on mattresses(for health reasons.) I concur with Richard, please do your research. Last week I posted asking if there was a way we could stop the sell of BB bombs, they are snake oil and it really makes me mad companies produce them.

Bombs apparently work for fleas, etc. but not for BBs.

4. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 13:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

5. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 13:55:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Not offended, just wondering what I said, er. typed.

6. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 16:19:16
    #

Login to Send PM

jschacht66, reading back over my post it did sound rude. It was not my intent at all, I have a habit of sounding curt when multitasking:/ I apologize.

I'm not an expert, these guys (who are) have assembled a great FAQ section. These pests are tricky and it's best to get an expert to treat your place if possible. You could look at online reviews, etc. to try to find a reputable company to recommend to your landlord.

Best of luck to you, hang in there.

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 16:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

reading back over my post it did sound rude. It was not my intent at all, I have a habit of sounding curt when multitasking:/ I apologize.
    ---------------
    Unless something was deleted, I don't see anything rude or out of the ordinary here.

Richard

8. Koebner

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 18:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope, was fair comment. Also important & useful - that kind of bad advice always has to be challenged, for the sake of the other people who come here looking for info.

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 19:54:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Seemed appropriate to me as well, but ulitmately Nobugs decides.

Bombs are a bad idea.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2015 20:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

The only person who edited rainman's comment was the author, and that was a superficial edit in the moments after posting when it is possible to make such changes.

As others noted, bug bombs are a very bad idea. The products can be technically labeled for bed bugs, but experts seem to agree they are ineffective in practice.

I think everyone is reacting to Itsjustabug's suggestion to read the forum rules, which I think were aimed at the OP.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2015 3:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

12. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2015 10:27:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 13 hours ago  » 

I think everyone is reacting to Itsjustabug's suggestion to read the forum rules, which I think were aimed at the OP.

Nobugs:
    Yes the rules link was for the OP= jschacht66 ,http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/forum-rules-please-read
    As jschacht66 poster was giving advice

Point is my landlord who is awesome gave me bb bombs and spray. Bomb once a wk then vacuum, mop, and spray right after. Do this for 3-4 wks.

If only it were this simple there would be no bedbugs or need of this website & pro's.

I hope this helps whomever. Oh also u dont NEED to wash everything if it doesnt need to be washed, i toss my in the dryer, bb hate high heat. So before i make my bed i toss my sheets and conforter in the dryer,

My reason for the rule link for them was as fallows:
    #1 All the experts agree that bombs will drive the bb's deep in to hibernation or disperse them to other places & delay the end out come of eradication.
    # 2 If you bomb, you will need to wash/clean everything to get the poison residue off your things you'll have skin contact with as I beieve it states on most bomb directions.
    #3 The OP was posting this thread as a reference in another thread as a treatment to fallow , making it solicitation to fallow there non expert advice as seen here
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/encasementsdead-bugs

I have learned a lot of helpful things from the experts here & they all say Do Not Use Bomb ever for bb's.
    I was trying to save them from making the same mistakes, I myself made when first posting here with out reading the rule ,FAQ or as some would say RTFFAQ ;-)..Sorry for any confussion due to the OP ID was some how dropped from my posting of the rules link..Hope this clears things up..
    My intent was to simply pass on good information & save some one from learning by school of hard knocks. Have a good day ,peace out!

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2015 16:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I've has some questions in PMs about this thread both about whether forum rules were broken and about the response to this, so I want to address those here.

The OP said,

"Bomb once a wk then vacuum, mop, and spray right after. Do this for 3-4 wks. "

If the OP had simply described what s/he did, this isn't against the forum rules, but suggesting others follow poor treatment advice (as the above phrasing and other phrasing in the post seems to) would seem to fall under this section of the forum rules:

Giving Advice

Please do not give advice on anything you're not qualified to give advice about. This is tricky, in terms of rules, because to some degree, you have to regulate yourself.

Most consumers -- even those who have self-treated their homes -- should not be giving advice on which pesticides to buy and how to use them, for example, telling people to buy DE or how to apply DE. If we have a FAQ on it (like DE or steam), please direct people to those. If you don't agree with those FAQs or think something should be added, then please make a suggestion about that. Remember there are qualified experts here who may be willing to answer questions about pesticides and you can direct users to them.

Again, I distinguish between describing your own treatment method as something you did, and implying that others should do it/giving instructions on how to do it.

That said, I also note that Itsjustabug may wish to note this part of the FAQs About the Forums/How to Use the Forums:

"Reporting problematic posts:

I see a post where someone is talking about harming themselves / violating forum rules / spamming the site / etc. What do I do?"

And the answer linked goes to, report troublesome posts, which explains how to use the "Flag this post for moderation" link under each post (when you're logged in).

I understand that some phone software does not interact well with this feature so if you can't use the flagging link, you can always copy the URL (web address) and paste it into an email or PM to me and I will follow up by taking action if needed. If lots of people flag (eg with spam which seeps through our filters), it may hide the post until I get to it.

Flagging is in most cases preferable to trying and engage directly with other users about breaking forum rules.

In cases such as this thread, the post is not usually going to be deleted, but I will note that yes, the poster should not be giving pesticide treatment advice s/he isn't qualified to give. Note that bad advice like "bomb once a week for 3-4 weeks" falls under that umbrella; suggestions like "monitors may help you detect bed bugs" is not something that is going to cause a problem.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2015 16:48:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In the spirit of good advice and best practices:

ItsJustABug - 6 hours ago  » 
    #1 All the experts agree that bombs will drive the bb's deep in to hibernation or disperse them to other places & delay the end out come of eradication.

Should read:

#1 All the experts agree that bombs can disperse bedbugs away from the bed area to other places & delaying eradication by making the job more complex.

The classic advice which is still lacking dates back to the Mike Potter 1989 paper on the limitations of the use of foggers on bedbug infestations and has been the subject of awareness campaigns.

The OP may want to look at the local legislation and responsibilities for pest control and most regions do not consider "there's a can get on with it" acceptable best practice. You may find that when your landlord is fully aware of their responsibilities they will be providing a more comprehensive solution.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie