My success story and lessons learned

(5 posts)
  1. bbcomox

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 23:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would like to share my success story with you, as I have found success stories from other forum members gave me a send of hope during my experience with bedbugs this summer.

Firstly, thanks to many forum members who identified that it was a bedbug that I caught:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bug-identification-please-3

Once this was confirmed, I was able to convince my onsite manager of the apartment that my unit had bedbugs. Additionally, I could take actions to find a PCO.

As I live in Canada, I had two choices in treatment: chemical and structural heat. After contacting two PCOs, one uses chemical and one uses structural heat, I decided to go with the PCO specialized in heat treatment. This PCO was more knowledgeable, specialized only on bedbugs, and understanding of the emotions that I had. The PCO was patience with my questions and worked with me in talking to the onsite manager.

If you have gone through the preparation work, you would understand what I had to do: put things in dryer and lived basically out of large ziploc bags. The PCO took a whole day to treat my 650 sq ft. apartment.

I found that post-treatment was actually more stressful because my heat treatment PCO did not put any DE or chemicals for any residual management. So, I purchased some climbup interceptors to help me with monitoring how successful the treatment was. I checked every day for any signs of bedbugs, cast skins or fecal matters. However, I found out that the interceptors were difficult for me to check because of the awkward positions I had to be in in order to check. I bought a BB Alert/PackTite passive monitor, and I found it to be much simpler to use. Initially, I would look at it every morning, and now, I would look at it every few days. Moreover, I bought a PackTite Closet to treat my luggage, as I travelled monthly.

As of this posting, it has been more than a month since the heat treatment, I have not seen any signs of bedbugs, cast skins or fecal matter on the passive monitor, and my life is slowly back to normal.

Here are my lessons learned:

- If you have read my initial post, linked above, you would find out that at first, I thought I had fleas in my apartment. I self treated for fleas without ensuring what was biting me. The self treatment was a waste and unnecessary. From now on, I would make sure to find out what I have.

- I would purchase BB Passive Alert as soon as I could after my treatment. In fact, I would be more than willing to give this out as gifts to my friends who are concerned about bedbugs, as this would be a good monitoring tool.

- I would visit this site regularly for the latest news and updates on bedbugs.

Thank you for all of your support during the stressful time I had in dealing with bedbugs.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 2:11:05
    #

Login to Send PM

bbcomox,
    Thanks so much for giving us an update!

I am so glad things have gone well for you. All the best!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Magsno

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 3:31:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Great to hear your success story. This kind of feed back gives others hope!

4. webeatem

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 6 2013 23:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Success!

We got rid of them!

I had a "friend" and let me quote it, because that is not a friend, who was going though a rough time and asked me if she could move in with me for a few months, her and her daughter. Me, being a good friend, I let her, her daughter and her dog to boot, stay with us for five months until my husband got tired of their messiness and practically had to kick them out. Well long story short, a few weeks after they moved out and left the room they were staying at a complete mess, we found out they had bedbugs and infested our house. Those are the thanks we got.

I could not sleep for days, I was sleep deprived and had a few panic attacks. We definitely couldn't afford a PCO. I was pregnant and due in three weeks. So all I could do was research, research, and some more research. I hated this "friend" with all my might. Ugh... This is something you don't do to ANYBODY...

I was the only one who had a reaction to their bites, my husband and my kiddos never got an itch from them. But I knew we had them because I got big, and I mean, big itchy welts every time they bit me, I would sleep (when I actually got some sleep) with a flash light, I instantly felt when I bedbug bit me, I would wake up and sure enough there was always one trying to scurry away, and I would always catch them. I even had a little bedbug cemetery with over 40 of them, all caught biting me.

So what we did, as soon as we confirmed it, we had an infestation. Let me put it like this. Those two persons and their dog were acting as an all you can eat buffet for the damn bedbugs for five months, without doing nothing! So by the time we found out, about a week after they left, they had spread all over the upstairs bedrooms. I had my husband go to Home Depot and buy bedbug spray. We ended up packing everything, and I mean every single thing in our house and put them into plastic bags (except for big furniture of course) . We only kept a few clothes for us to wear into plastic bags and some kitchen stuff. Then everything went into the garage. He ended up buying the bombs, and against my advice, he set them off, and thought that would take care of the problem, so I had to explain that it wasn't that simple, and showed him this website.

So after giving in, we went and bought the spray and I ended up buying Diatomaceous Earth. He sprayed once. Then the next week I spread DE on every single edge and crevice. I bought a steam cleaner and steam cleaned my mattress, the couches, cribs, chests, and dressers. Applied more DE and later that week I left to the hospital to deliver my baby. Before I came back from the hospital, my husband bought a shop vacuum, he tried to vacuum all the DE powder with our regular vacuum and it was a big mistake, so he bought the shop vac and got everything cleaned out before our arrival.

I knew we still had bed bugs and I was starting to get the baby blues and, oh gosh, it was so depressing and stressing. But I dealt with it some how, I bought some tupperware, rubbed vaseline on the edges and put some DE on the inside and I placed them under the legs of the mattress we slept, our daughters bed, baby's new crib and the couch. I vacuumed constantly, used the steam cleaner every two weeks and I sprayed the base boards and walls every single week. I know that the product says it can last up to a month, but I sprayed every week or at least every two weeks.

And gradually I started to see less activity, then to my horror I found a mini infestation in my baby's carseat. I used the steam cleaner and washed it by hand with the mixture of dawn soap, water and alcohol. Kept up with my cleaning and spraying every one to two weeks. And although I felt like I lost part of my soul, my sanity, my kiddos outgrew brand new clothes that were stored away, we had a big BIG mess in our garage, that by the way we are still sorting out. Who knows how much $$$ we spent, ten months later, yes, ten months later, I can say with 100% certainty that we are bedbug free!

My advice to people who are dealing with this, is: Don't give up! we did all the work ourselves, if we had had the money to have a professional come and get rid of them, we would have, but we just didn't. I thought it was never going to end, that we would forever have bedbugs, I didn't even want to go out of my house, for the fear of spreading it to somebody else. And although the bedbugs also spread downstairs, I made sure to clean and spray before it got out of hand. So just, don't lose your sanity, there is hope, there is life without bedbugs, it just takes time, you can't get rid of them overnight. Be patient and good luck. Cyber hug! (because I don't want your bedbugs! hahaha, just joking. Trying to lighten up your mood a bit, because I think we all know that horrible sinking feeling of desolation.)

5. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 23:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

webeatem - 1 week ago  » 
    Success!
    We got rid of them!
    I had a "friend" and let me quote it, because that is not a friend, who was going though a rough time and asked me if she could move in with me for a few months, her and her daughter. Me, being a good friend, I let her, her daughter and her dog to boot, stay with us for five months until my husband got tired of their messiness and practically had to kick them out. Well long story short, a few weeks after they moved out and left the room they were staying at a complete mess, we found out they had bedbugs and infested our house. Those are the thanks we got.
    I could not sleep for days, I was sleep deprived and had a few panic attacks. We definitely couldn't afford a PCO. I was pregnant and due in three weeks. So all I could do was research, research, and some more research. I hated this "friend" with all my might. Ugh... This is something you don't do to ANYBODY...
    I was the only one who had a reaction to their bites, my husband and my kiddos never got an itch from them. But I knew we had them because I got big, and I mean, big itchy welts every time they bit me, I would sleep (when I actually got some sleep) with a flash light, I instantly felt when I bedbug bit me, I would wake up and sure enough there was always one trying to scurry away, and I would always catch them. I even had a little bedbug cemetery with over 40 of them, all caught biting me.
    So what we did, as soon as we confirmed it, we had an infestation. Let me put it like this. Those two persons and their dog were acting as an all you can eat buffet for the damn bedbugs for five months, without doing nothing! So by the time we found out, about a week after they left, they had spread all over the upstairs bedrooms. I had my husband go to Home Depot and buy bedbug spray. We ended up packing everything, and I mean every single thing in our house and put them into plastic bags (except for big furniture of course) . We only kept a few clothes for us to wear into plastic bags and some kitchen stuff. Then everything went into the garage. He ended up buying the bombs, and against my advice, he set them off, and thought that would take care of the problem, so I had to explain that it wasn't that simple, and showed him this website.
    So after giving in, we went and bought the spray and I ended up buying Diatomaceous Earth. He sprayed once. Then the next week I spread DE on every single edge and crevice. I bought a steam cleaner and steam cleaned my mattress, the couches, cribs, chests, and dressers. Applied more DE and later that week I left to the hospital to deliver my baby. Before I came back from the hospital, my husband bought a shop vacuum, he tried to vacuum all the DE powder with our regular vacuum and it was a big mistake, so he bought the shop vac and got everything cleaned out before our arrival.
    I knew we still had bed bugs and I was starting to get the baby blues and, oh gosh, it was so depressing and stressing. But I dealt with it some how, I bought some tupperware, rubbed vaseline on the edges and put some DE on the inside and I placed them under the legs of the mattress we slept, our daughters bed, baby's new crib and the couch. I vacuumed constantly, used the steam cleaner every two weeks and I sprayed the base boards and walls every single week. I know that the product says it can last up to a month, but I sprayed every week or at least every two weeks.
    And gradually I started to see less activity, then to my horror I found a mini infestation in my baby's carseat. I used the steam cleaner and washed it by hand with the mixture of dawn soap, water and alcohol. Kept up with my cleaning and spraying every one to two weeks. And although I felt like I lost part of my soul, my sanity, my kiddos outgrew brand new clothes that were stored away, we had a big BIG mess in our garage, that by the way we are still sorting out. Who knows how much $$$ we spent, ten months later, yes, ten months later, I can say with 100% certainty that we are bedbug free!
    My advice to people who are dealing with this, is: Don't give up! we did all the work ourselves, if we had had the money to have a professional come and get rid of them, we would have, but we just didn't. I thought it was never going to end, that we would forever have bedbugs, I didn't even want to go out of my house, for the fear of spreading it to somebody else. And although the bedbugs also spread downstairs, I made sure to clean and spray before it got out of hand. So just, don't lose your sanity, there is hope, there is life without bedbugs, it just takes time, you can't get rid of them overnight. Be patient and good luck. Cyber hug! (because I don't want your bedbugs! hahaha, just joking. Trying to lighten up your mood a bit, because I think we all know that horrible sinking feeling of desolation.)

truly inspirational! ;(
    Now this is the best idea, DE+STEAM+Vacuum, but kinda hard to do, especially if you're a single student in a foreign country ;-( I hate myself+my mom for agreeing for the ''cheap'' solution-cheap flat-cheap rent...damn

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,922 posts in 50,063 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned