My Success

(1 post)
  1. aaghbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2009 13:44:44
    #

Login to Send PM

This probably isn't useful to people with bad infestations, but I'm putting it on here for the record because I got so much useful information from this site.

I got bed bugs from an ex who was trying to escape hers by staying at my place during treatment. So I was fortunate enough to realize what the problem was right away, nonetheless, I had a difficult time getting treatment set up and it did not occur until I had had bedbugs for close to two months.

My landlord has a PCE who treats, so I had three treatments done, once a week for three weeks. The treatments were not enough for my ex who still has them.

I was out of town for the holidays and came back after the last treatment. I received numerous bites the first night back. I then picked up bed bug encasements that had arrived while I was out of town. Since I have put them on, I have not had any bed bug bites.

I mainly think that I was lucky and that the bed bugs had not spread past my bed and the few that did were killed by the exterminator's treatments/my drying of clothes/vacuuming. This may especially be the case because my mattress had a tear/hole so I think the bugs had plenty of places to hide inside.

One unique things I did was that I kept my apartment fairly cold. This slows bed bug development. The apartment was quite cold during the day when I was gone and about 60-62 at night while I slept. Only if I was home on the weekend or evening was it warmer. I do this anyway, but I think it helped.

Also, I have a metal bedframe. No place for them to hide and they don't like climbing metal.

I did a lot of the other things suggested on this site, but I don't need to repeat them.

Also, when I traveled, I used a big duffel bag instead of a suitcase. I could throw the bag in the dryer for a few minutes to kill any stowaway bugs.

Having read everything here and knowing someone who is still suffering, I feel lucky to have escaped. I can only hope my mattress & boxspring encasements hold up.

BTW, I did get the Mattress Safe encasements, the less expensive Kleencover variety. The mattress encasement is quite nice, no need for the marginally nicer & more expensive Softcover (which I have seen in person). The Mattress Safe box spring encasement is poorly designed though (small holes by the zipper stitching), I was not satisified and refused to even try to use it. They weren't nice about this. I'd recommend just ordering two mattress encasements or using another company's box cover encasement.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,663 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me