My story

(32 posts)
  1. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 17 2007 21:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a continuation of a discussion that began here - http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/19/faq-is-there-an-insect-that-will-eat-bed-bugs/

Heres the story :

Aprox 2.8 weeks ago
    Mother gets BAD bites, likely on couch in living room.

Aprox 2.6 weeks ago
    Main bedroom is suspected of harbouring bugs (as of yet undetermined if this was true) and said bedroom is heavily treated.

5.5 days ago
    Small bedbug nymph(?) found on desk in my bedroom

3 days ago
    Wake up to being bit, find 3 bugs. I'm traumatized. It is at this point I lose sleep and make said post on the topic I mentioned before.

2 days ago
    Treatment of my room begins

1 Day ago
    Bed is dismantled (it's a unique loft bed style) 8 bed bugs are discovered and killed

For the past two nights I Have slept on a raised cot, whose legs are protected by double stick tape. This location is secure from bugs.

No sightings since. We are treating the third bedroom just incase.

So - my thoughts are that we've beaten them back BADLY. But we will continue to treat and remain observant.

So, what's with the horror stories? This doesn't seem so bad.

2. highnoon

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 17 2007 22:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

How are you treating? With a PCO or DIY? Any specifics?

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 17 2007 23:47:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Rather,
    Did you see my response today in the blog comments?
    I'd also be interested in how you're treating.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat May 19 2007 3:10:40
    #

Login to Send PM

stay proactive like this and then some--for a few months ie three. You have bed bugs and they are tenacious as heck! Yes, rather, exactly what was treated when and where?
    How have you isoalted all of the cloth items including running shoes and dress shoes in the home? Let us know... bed bugs r tricky to get rid of forever, it nealry takes forever--especially if your in a palce that's prone to re-infestaitons. ie inner city anywhere!
    School offers a lot of contacts my buddy--i'm not saying sdo;t be social, I'm saying perhaps 25 % ofinfestations in schools amongst students is spread via sitting in chairs that a bed bug infested person sat in for a lengty time just before you did.
    no sweater swopping and stuff like that.

5. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 18:51:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We have continued to use Steri-Fab and vacuum regularly. We have had two sightings in the past four days. Both in my room, one under the bed (again, this is a loft bed), and one on my leg at the computer.

6. wantmyskinback

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 19:23:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Steri Fab and Vacuuming are good to help AFTER you've killed them all.... but I'm concerned that you are not getting to their source...where they hide.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue May 22 2007 21:02:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Rather,
    The PCO should come back to re-treat in 10-14 days. And then every 10-14 days after that until the bites and all signs of bugs are entirely gone.

8. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 0:50:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Murphy’s oil on all wood including wood on beds! This has very little residual really rather—so it has to be repeated.
    Steam in troublesome areas too if you think it will help
    and the PCO again ... sounds like a lot have been killed off but a lot more have been spread and will soon hatch or grow up more--that's sort of a horror story. One on your leg at the computer--don’t forget to delicately treat the electronics more than once i put all of mine into Vaseline laden motes made out of the lids of various sized rubber made and x-large Tupperware bins.
    If you'd rather be biking and running--I hope you make it to the track with no welts rather. It is “a big deal” because they just multiply like bunnies. And they don’t stop till there’s only one left, and you accidentally step on it or it accidentally gets hit by a truck or some great thing like that!
    There is the movie bug coming out will you go see it? I’m not being condescending like an adult--I'm curious what you think about a movie like that that parallels bed bugs.
    I don’t like it because Hollywood will make money on misery—but I still might go see it.
    Sounds like you’ve got the bed bugs pegged but like you don’t quite yet see a month or two down the line. They come out at night and “do it!” Or … they bite-ya.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 7:40:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I would check with PCO before steaming or putting Murphy's everywhere. Why? Because PCO may have put down dusts or other substances with residuals. Even vacuuming can be a problem.

Anyone who has a PCO working should check about anything they're doing, before they do it. Imagine steaming or vacuuming up the drione, or Murphy's-ing over their sprays. It happens all the time.

10. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 9:47:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Totally all true NBOM--Somehow ... I got the "idea" that when rather said
    "So - my thoughts are that we've beaten them back BADLY. But we will continue to treat and remain observant." and "So, what's with the horror stories? This doesn't seem so bad." that rather and family were DONE with PCO and that the PCO was not coming back.

But, if rather and family are still finding the bed bugs then the POC should be asked back outright and asked about any and all self treatments, as should we all for at least the 2 weeks to kill any hatchlings.
    Sorry rather. But I still want to know what you think of the movie "Bug" though, coming out in a few months, and also ... What do your friends think about this movie? Have you mentioned the bed bugs to any of them? Or would you rather not? Have to be careful who you tell it to; I think ... What do you think?

11. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 19:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't tell my friends, but I'm very careful of my bag and clothes. A clarification : We have not had a PCO come! I pester my parents constantly but they havent seen bugs recently and wont move on the issue until they see bugs themselves, or so it seems.

The underside of my loft bed has been totally duck-taped.
    Here are some pictures of "progress" -

The following images illustrate the measures we have taken to eliminate the problem. Duck tape on cracks of bed structure, many items (CDS) in plastic bags, steri-fab applied liberally to cracks and crevices, futon mattress wrapped in plastic, bars removed from side of loft bed, treated, and bagged. Room has been totally torn apart - my room has tons of stuff that has been thrown out, or checked through and bagged.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture8.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture7.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture6.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture5.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture4.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture3.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/HCR-Leader/bugs/Picture1.jpg

12. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 23 2007 20:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Update - Just killed one on the desk. Steri-fab had an instantanoues effect with direct contact. I proceeded to put it close to a hot lamp. Then it died. That felt good.

It had no blood in it. I imagine it was hungry for mine - 9:44 pm.

13. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 24 2007 16:37:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok Rather... so if you saw one on your leg ... killed another one with sterifab ... show it/them--to them, and tell them that I think the taping job in the pics looks very precarious. And here ... I'm being "nice". To isolate from bed bugs in such a way, only, would be like having to totally seal off practically every crack in the entire apartment--it is just not possible to kill off the infestation you are describing with tape and steri-fab. That bed is not sealed off well at all!
    Not for bed bugs!
    They can fit thru many of those cracks. This aint cutting it, not with me, and well ... call me judgmental, but it does not seem right, there must be some reason why they won't have the PCO in. Maybe it is financial or because of stigma but listen up rather ...You seem so on the ball ... answer me this:
    If 10 bugs becomes 100 bugs in 2 months ... how many will you have in four months? That is a math problem--I'm lousy at math really I am can you solve this equation yet? I forgot how old you are is it like 14?
    Maybe you are here for a good reason, and, I hope that reason is to get your parents to treat your home pronto! You should not have to do that--but probably three times every two weeks on top of all of what you've done already would be like a minimum.

Show them the bugs! See what they say and solve the math problem and see what they say
    Also-- in 4 months it would be almost hopeless to get a PCO to treat for how many bugs there will be by then.
    That is the horror novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 24 2007 20:25:48
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Rather,
    Do you live in a multi-unit building? Are you renting? If so, your landlord will pay. If not-- in a multi-story co-op or condo, everyone needs to fight this. It will come from neighbors over and over even if you get a PCO in. The best case is a single family home where they are not hard to fight. But I'd say you need a PCO in any case.
    Your parents should read some of the fact sheets you can find linked on the blog. Also have them read the FAQ "Think you have bed bugs? Some do's and don'ts." Because bed bugs are a relatively "new' problem, they may not realize what a big deal it is or what a nightmare to treat. Not only do you need a PCO, s/he will probably have to come a minimum of 3x, maybe more. Even seeing ONE bug can mean a significant population--remember, they are hard wired NOT to come out except roughly between 3-5 am. AND they know when you're sleeping (something about your CO2 emissions) and so they will be very stealthy and not come out. Seeing them when you are awake is a bad sign.
    Sorry to sound melodramatic...

15. nyjammin

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 24 2007 20:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Biker: seeing them crawling around during the day is a bad sign. Nobugs hit the nail on the head. You can print out some bb materials from harvard school/bedbugs. They have a whole bunch of information about them. How can your parents ignore Harvard? I could understand your parents ignoring us because we are all just tags and not "real people". Just crazy internet people. Well, that's how a lot of people react when I tell them "I heard this from the internet". They are like "Yeah, right, whatever!" Print out that Harvard information and give it to them. Harvard is Ivy League school and very reputable.

You really, really need a pco like pronto! Try to convince your parents. Let us know. Good luck.

16. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 24 2007 21:30:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Rather, thanks for sharing these photos.

My first thought is, try to work with your parents here. Many people start out their "bedbug journeys" in denial, because the problem is gross or uncomfortable or embarassing. Most people have no idea what kind of a horror story it can become. So they take no action. They don't make any decisions. They sit and wait, and hope it goes away on its own.

But thankfully they have you, and you're doing lots of work to make the problem go away. Congrats for that. I'd suggest showing them the CBC video (linked in the sidebar of bedbugger) to help them understand the problems with bedbugs. Video is compelling and convincing and easy to digest. This should help them get on board. I also second Nobugs's advice to print out that first FAQ on bedbug do's and don'ts. That helped me immensely and I only wish it had come out sooner.

The reason bedbugs turn into horror stories is because of what you are experiencing right now - they just won't all die. It sounds like you found a good bunch of them, and killed the ones you found, so that's great and you should take credit for your hard work. The nightmare is when this type of living situation goes on for months and months. It is not that hard to find them when there are lots. When you are down to one or two, and you cannot find them, that's when it gets immensely frustrating.

And remember that they can be anywhere, they can hide anywhere, and they can avoid things like duct tape if there is another path. Bedbugs have been known to climb up walls, across ceilings and drop down on beds - that's how hungry they get. It's like a radar, pointing at you. They'll get to you any way they can.

So the reason you need a PCO is that duct tape (while a good tool in the arsenal) is not enough. You need residual chemical. Chemical that will last for days or weeks, and chemical that the bedbugs will not detect when they cross it on their path to you. You need to call a PCO who is experienced with bedbugs. Your infestation, unfortunately, does not sound light. There is most likely another source (or a few) where they are hiding, and really, it could be anywhere. You've already done the prep work, now you need the help of a professional.

And yeah, if you have a landlord, your landlord is obligated to pay for it. You could check your lease to make sure. Or if you own your home, tell your parents that one PCO visit (or 2-3, more realistically) is so much less than Vikane fumigation or thermal treatment of the entire structure (or throwing out all your stuff and moving - doubt that's an option).

Good luck and keep us posted.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 24 2007 22:27:37
    #

Login to Send PM

S's suggestion of the CBC video is also good. I think it will hit home with your mom, who's felt the bites bad, and they'll get it. Good luck, Rather!

18. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed May 30 2007 22:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Rather ... it's been about 5 days or so. Just wondering how things are going? You’re like part of the extended family of Bed bug sufferers here, now; (in case you didn't know that). So, you were on my mind and I wanted to know about how your Parents and how they are taking any or some or all of the info we sort of shelled out last week to you, to try and help you get them to spring into "PCO action." It's OK if it didn't work out or even if you have not tried it yet. Just concerned and saying hello. I know quite a few people who could use a PCO--me included, hopefully mostly past tense. So far I've gotten by because I do live alone and have now restricted visitors. It makes it easier to treat (for me anyway—in family situations in apartments—unless your on the top floor in a corner—makes it a lot harder to get rid of them.)
    Maybe you have killed them all, but there will likely be eggs laid really hidden that will be hatching. You know the drill there right?
    Willow

19. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2007 20:20:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

We had a team of two come in. They sprayed with aerosol, a big squirt thing, EVERYWHERE. one wore a hazmat suit. Havent seen a big since.

20. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2007 20:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

That's great news, Rather. If this was recently, are they coming back? To inspect and treat for the emerging nymphs from any eggs?

21. nyjammin

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2007 21:00:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Rather, just because you do not see a bug, does not make it all clear! A lot of people do not see any bugs but see other signs like bb pooh and excrement and bites. Also, those eggs WILL hatch in 10-14 days. You need another treatment to treat for those.

That's great that you're getting treatment. Good for you! Keep us posted.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2007 22:46:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Rather--yes, everyone's right. The treatment does not kill the eggs and eggs will hatch within 10-14 days. Make sure they come back within that window.

23. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2007 22:57:52
    #

Login to Send PM

for what its worth ..
    exactly!
    Keep up the good work Rather!

24. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2007 15:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pestering about getting them back in the next few days. Thanks everybody. I've had alot of mosquito like bites on my legs recently. In random spots, four in total. Not sure what to think.

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2007 16:24:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My bed bug bites looked like pimples or mosquito bites (size and appearance varied). How do you know they're not from bbs?

26. nightshirt

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2007 11:56:35
    #

Login to Send PM

whenever i got a treatment it took about 11 days for them to re-appear if they were going to. those days in between i slept great. be cautiously hopefull. i never let myself get plain hopefull until about 2 months had gone by with ni bites or sightings. it usually takes at least 3-4 treatments.

27. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 19:22:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The people will come back on Wednesday, June 13th.

They are "PEST (pest elimination systems techolonogy, inc., in New York City).

My dad got two sets of three bites each in a row on his arms, in their bedroom or on one of the livingroom couches. I am still sleeping on a cot in the living room, and I check my bedroom and the entire living room around 4.15 AM ever other day but have yet to see anything new.

28. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 19:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

kind of like a "bend and a stretch" before an early morning jog huh Rather?
    This is good news--all of it. The PCO's do take some time though, so keep your eyes peeled and kill 'em as you see 'em!
    Willow!

29. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 20:04:45
    #

Login to Send PM

That's the most optimistic, positive response I've ever had on here. Thanks willow. Haha... to be honest, this has been great for me. I love the cot. My room is getting repainted because of this, and I got rid of alot of old crap I didn't need.

30. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2007 20:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Considering it came from "Mister doom and gloom himself" (me) that makes it all next to miraculous!
    There is a "horror story" though Rather--so shoot em all dead squish those little heffers up and "twist and shout" and keep getting the PCO in there! underline that last phrase!

31. RatherBeBiking

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 12 2007 21:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I will even help my folks pay for it if I have to. I hate these little [expletive deleted]. You think it's easy for a 16 year old boy to wake up at 4 every morning to tiptoe around the house with a flashlight? If and when I find one alive, I will subject it to such torture that it will regret it's own existence and hate it's mother for bringing it into such a painful world. I will crush, spray, burn, spit on, drown, and completely eliminate these little [expletive deleted] from my life.

Oh, and bedbugs, your bites don't mean shit to me. Keep your nasty little selves off my family. You about to get your asses drowned in poison tomorrow. Don't [expletive deleted] with the Quigley's.

32. nyjammin

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jun 12 2007 22:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Rather, I just pm'd you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982