My prior experience with bedbugs helped me in a recent hostel stay

(3 posts)
  1. bbcomox

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2016 14:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I just want to share an anecdote on how my previous experience with bedbugs has helped me in a recent vacation. In 2013, my apartment had bedbugs. While treatment was done, the bedbugs kept coming back. I moved to a new location, and later on, I found out that the bedbugs were coming from another unit who did not report them.

Since then, I know what bedbugs and their cast skins look like, and try not to worry too much about them. During the recent spring break, I travelled to a US city and stayed in a hostel. The hostel was a historic building, used to be a mansion. While it was old, it was kept clean. I was shown to a large dorm room area with six bunk beds, so 12 beds in total. I chose the best bed out of the available ones.

From my habit, I inspected the mattress and noticed a speck of cast skin on the sheet. At first I doubt that it was a bedbug cast skin, but I could tell from its shape and colour. Even if I was wrong, I knew that I would be uncomfortable in sleeping on this bed. I quickly grabbed my luggage and asked for another room. I told the front desk what I found, and I requested a room as far away enough as possible. They assigned me to another bed, and I did the same check; it appeared to be fine.

Upon my return from my trip, I quickly washed and dried my clothing. I placed my luggage and content into PackTite closet. Luckily, I did not bring any bedbugs, if any, home.

In summary, I was lucky that I found one of the three signs of bedbugs to avoid another possible bedbugs bites and infestation. Bedbugs have not significantly changed my travelling habits, as I will continue to stay in hostels to save money on travelling and to meet other hostellers. I just have to be more vigilant.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 6 2016 1:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Nicely handled!

I am glad your bout with bed bugs has helped you travel more "safely" and has not put you off travel. It's such a joy and would be a shame to miss out.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Apr 6 2016 21:08:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for coming back and sharing good information.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982