Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

my personal experiment. "suspend" direct spray--bug still moving after 36 hours

(5 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 26 2008 23:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

this is just a piece of whimsy--my LL gave me a spraybottle marked "suspend" which he supposedly got from an exterminator friend of his. (I know, I know. please no comments about this) I caught a bed bug in my bed at 6:00 in the morning, grabbed it with a kleenex, and put it in a bowl. I directly sprayed it with the theoretical suspend. Now, I can't guaranty the spray got on the bug--the bottle was kind of spraying crooked. But the kleenex got saturated all around the bug. Then I tore off any extraneous part of kleenex and put the small kleenex segment with the bug on it in a sandwich-sized ziploc.

I've been monitoring it. The bug is NOT doing well. But he's still moving.

24 hours after spraying the bug, he was very sick but still was able to (slowly) move away from the light to the underside of the kleenex. Several times I turned the ziploc around so the bug was once again facing light. I would go do something else. When I came back to check, he had moved under the underside of the kleenex again.

well, now he's not moving himself to the other side of the kleenex. He is still-- until I nudge him through the plastic. Then he starts waving his legs around.

I read the latest Potter study that demonstrated Suspend to be slow and not very residual. Is Suspend purposely supposed to be slow acting so that the bugs track it back to their nests? Or is my bottle of elixer suspect? I'm still kind of amazed. Whatever the substance in the bottle, this little bitty bug is trapped with a substance that must be emitting tremendous fumes--and he's still moving.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 26 2008 23:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Whimsy is good. We need more whimsy.

The Potter report said it worked well if you sprayed bed bugs directly. I am not aware of how long it takes, though I do know the various substances take differing amounts of time to kill. The info on Suspend is probably out there if you dig.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 27 2008 7:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Mangycur,
    This isectacide also has to be mixed with water to the proper concentration to kill bb's. I would question as to what concentration it was mixed.Maybe LL did not use the proper concentration in order to make it last longer? Go online to get the mixing ratio and see what he's done.

4. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 27 2008 8:26:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Mangycur,
    I looked up the concentration for you.To kill bb's it should be mixed in the range of 22 to 45 mls. per gallon of water.If it's mixed at a lower concentration,you may see what you're seeing ie bugs not dying very quickly or at all.The other thing to consider is suspend is deltamethrin,which some strains have shown resistance to.You really,really need a pro to decide if this may be the case or not.If I were you I would discuss some arrangement between you and LL to get a pco in there.With LL doing it there are just too many variables.

5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 27 2008 9:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a very interesting post. Thanks everyone for the experiments and explanations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982