Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

My parents won't do anything about bedbugs??

(4 posts)
  1. Kjfletch

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 10:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm 19, and my parents won't do anything about our bedbug problem. My sister has it bad because she's extremely messy and dirty so her room most likely holds them, and despite my room being clean I see stains and skin on my bed every morning. My parents refused to believe me so I called an inspector myself and paid for it, as well. The inspector said we definitely have bed bugs. I thought the proof would make my parents do something but they got really angry with me instead and said they still don't believe it. I've been reading scary stuff about bed bugs transmitting chagas disease and im just super scared of them in general but I dont know what to do...

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 11:45:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Chagas is more of a concern with a bed bug relative, the assassin bug/kissing bug. Bed bugs tend not to defecate immediately after feeding nor do they favor feeding on/near the mucus membranes.
    Clutter can help bed bugs avoid detection, but clean, dirty, tidy, pig sty, bed bugs don't discriminate.
    A regular practice of vacuuming your bed frame, mattress and box spring as well as a fine dusting of Cimexa or DE can help keep your bed as bed bug free as possible with an active infestation in the house.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 14:23:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Kjfletch - 3 hours ago  » 
    I'm 19, and my parents won't do anything about our bedbug problem. My sister has it bad because she's extremely messy and dirty so her room most likely holds them, and despite my room being clean I see stains and skin on my bed every morning. My parents refused to believe me so I called an inspector myself and paid for it, as well. The inspector said we definitely have bed bugs. I thought the proof would make my parents do something but they got really angry with me instead and said they still don't believe it. I've been reading scary stuff about bed bugs transmitting chagas disease and im just super scared of them in general but I dont know what to do...

Don't worry about Chagas disease vectored by bed bugs. You would have to have Chagas disease in triatomine reduviids in your home and then bed bugs would have to feed on someone who is infected in order to pick it up. They just don't have Chagas disease trypanosomes in them. Other than that, you don't know why your parents refuse to believe or understand that they have bed bugs in the home? Are you in a separate house or in apartment building?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Bug Buffet

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Apr 11 2018 16:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel for you Kjfletch (and welcome to the forum, by the way). I have an elderly mother who minimized our infestation and really refused to do anything, maintaining that they didn't bother (bite) her. She's a non-reactor and denial is a powerful thing. It wasn't until she became ill (not bb related) and spent some time in a skilled nursing facility (she's back home now) that I had the opportunity while she was out to arrange and pay for heat and chemical treatment of our house (as well as a post treatment deep house cleaning). What a difference it's made!

I wish you the best - it can be majorly frustrating being that lone voice crying out in the wilderness. I truly empathize with your situation.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,944 posts in 45,404 topics over 138 months by 19,949 of 20,709 members. Latest: trailblazer, Bostonbugs1994, jtihonly