(4 posts)
  1. frustratedneighbour

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 27 2018 14:39:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Urgh, where do I even start...

I am extremely frustrated and in need of some advice. My downstairs neighbour (who is elderly) has a terrible infestation he's been dealing with for over 3 years. We share a hallway and our doors are next to each other (but we have stairs going up as soon as you come in). I have lived in my flat for over 2 years. He doesn't seem to care but for the past 6 months or so me and my landlord have been pushing him to get his flat treated. In the 2 years I have lived in this flat, I have never seen any in our flat - and believe me we keep a close eye. We check our beds every night, we check our shoes and clothes everytime we go in and out of the house. About 3 weeks ago, after spending 4 days deep cleaning our flat, we caught an adult in the corridor just outside my bedroom. We have then turned everything upside down and checked the entire flat and haven't seen any alive, or dead, or any signs anywhere.

There was also a few in the corridor walking around in that week so I kicked up a fuss and made sure he had his flat was treated again and arranged a pest control guy come and spray his entire flat (which he was against because he has cleaners come every week and seems to think that meant there wasn't any left there) and to give our flat an inspection. When the pest control guy walked in, the first thing he said was "I've been here before" and I asked him how come? He answered that he came last year to treat it but he refused because the infestation was so bad, there were bedbugs everywhere - on the ceilings, walls, plug sockets, carpets, in the day time they were just walking around freely.

I then asked the pest control people if they mind coming and having a look in my flat before they went into his to make sure we didn't miss anything. They came in and had a look everywhere. Flipped my bed over etc. They said there were no signs whatsoever, and he said he is very surprised considering the condition his house used to be in. I told him he went away for 4 months last year and even then they didn't come up so I'm not sure what inspired the lone trekker to come up. Anyway, he then went and treated downstairs and the corridor. They told me that he'd need to throw away the plug extensions etc, as they were infested badly (not sure if he has or not). As we were leaving our flat he said his flat was so much better than how it was last year. And he added "I've been doing this for 30 years and that first state of this house was the worst bed bug infestation I've ever seen".

I will explain the layout of our house so this next part makes sense. When you enter the flat you go up the stairs and my bedroom, bathroom and the living room/kitchen is here. Then you go up another set of stairs and my partners bedroom is here. We have two separate bedrooms and beds although we tend to sleep together most times (its nice to sleep alone once in a while). For the past 3 weeks (since we found the lone trekker bed bug in front of my bedroom), we've been sleeping in my bed so if there are any around, they didn't spread. And we check this bed every day and night to make sure there aren't any signs of them, and so far so good.

Anyway, in the meanwhile since finding the first ever bedbug in 2 years, me and my partner found another flat and we are moving this weekend. We are in the process of starting to pack at the moment. However, today, when I was sitting on his bed upstairs, I realised there was a small 1st stage instar/nymph on there. Freshly fed, all red. We killed it and he just threw his bed frame away (we were going to anyway and inspected his room. We haven't seen any more nymphs or adults. It probably fed on me in the middle of the day as I was sitting there as no-one slept in that bed for the past 3 weeks. OR we had a plumber come over yesterday who went straight up to my partner's bedroom (and he took his shoes off in the middle of the hallway downstairs and walked in straight upstairs). Our landlord said that it might be that he carried one up with him. Or we might have. I just don't really see how it would skip the floor we've been sleeping on and go to the loft to my partners room?

We had a moving truck arranged for this Saturday but I just cancelled it because I don't want to move until I make sure we aren't going to take any of these damn bugs with us. I've had enough having to deal with them. It's been 2 years I've lived with the fear of having them and haven't had a blip. and now just as we're about to move out we see 2 in the space of a month!

The next few days we have dedicated to washing all our clothes, and linen, packing them up sealed and dropping them off at a storage unit. Then from Saturday onwards, we are going to check everything as we pack and as soon as they're packed we are going to take them to the other flat (so no closed boxes are going to lay around this house). I also have a steam cleaner so we are probably going to go over everything with that to make sure we don't bring any with us. I mean we are so wary of it, we are constantly looking at the smallest blip.

Seeing a nymph really worried me because what if there is an adult laying eggs all over the place. I just am so worried. I've been having nightmares for the past 3 weeks and now I am getting so worried after seeing a nymph. I can't even leave my own house worrying that I will bring one back in with me. Sorry about the really long story but well, it is a really long story. I guess my question is do any of you gone through a similar situation? Do you have any advice about the things we can do when we're moving so that we don't take any with us? How can I make sure that this nightmare is over?

2. HifromChi

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 27 2018 15:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

You poor soul, I don't know how you've managed to avoid an infestation this long, really I honestly don't, especially if the neighbor's apartment is literally crawling with them from top to bottom. You and your partner could very well not be reacting to the bites and could have had them for a lot longer than you think.

I wouldn't move until you've been properly treated for an infestation yourself, as there is a very real possibility that you could bring stragglers with you to your new place and then will just be starting at ground zero again. Both you and your neighbor and any other surrounding units that are infested should all be treated together, otherwise they just scatter to safer grounds and wait for the dust to settle, only to resurface later.

Whomever has been handling the overall situation is failing miserably, any building that has a continuous and active bedbug infestation for over 3 years is just unacceptable, and uninhabitable, in my opinion. That place should not be able to lease any flat to any unsuspecting person until the infestation is completely resolved, it's really unethical to do anything else.

Wishing you the best of luck going forward...

3. frustratedneighbour

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Mar 27 2018 15:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot for your reply. I had no idea the situation of his flat was so terrible until I had the pest control guy come and tell me that he refused to treat it because it was so bad earlier last year. I think they might've been going to the downstairs neighbour as he apparently told my landlord he saw a few of them a few months back.

The issue is that my neighbour is an old man, and he doesn't seem to be bothered by them. We are having to force him to get it treated and even then he banged the door on my face and got angry with me multiple times. I arranged the cleaners to come to his house every week after he refused to get it chemically treated. And although that made his house a lot better, obviously you can't get rid of an infestation that size by cleaning. I called the council but there is nothing they can do they said so final solution we are moving.

We aren't really searching for bug bites, as after finding that one in the corridor, I have been constantly been broken in hives on my back and face from the stress. We are searching for signs of them like their shed skin, or any fecal or vomit. My bed sheets are all white and I have a divan bed with underbed storage. We check the wood slates constantly, and the bed frame, and the bed mattress and the sheets. There just isnt anything. And we turned everything upside down in my partners room today, and he hasn't seen any more either. The annoying this is we can never be sure if we brought them in on our feet or clothes, or if there is a few around that we don't know.

I just have no idea how to get around it because it sounds like my landlord doesn't seem to want to treat the place unless we see another one :/

4. HifromChi

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Mar 28 2018 8:55:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you stuck in this bad situation, if your landlord won't treat your flat after seeing actual bed bugs, then you should try and see about treating it yourself and hiring someone, you should do your best to contain and eradicate the situation there before moving, as you could potentially transfer bugs throughout the current building, into moving trucks and throughout the new building and your new home by moving things that could be harboring them.

If treating your place isn't an option, then you should heat steam all beds and frames and furniture you're taking with you, put your electronics into contractor bags with nuvan strips (they can hide in laptops/computers, TV's and such) and encase your mattresses and box springs with protective bed bug covers, these covers don't prevent bed bugs, but contain them if they are in your mattress, it will keep spreading to a minimum. Dry ( you don't have to wash everything, high heat is enough) every stitch of clothing and bedding you have on high heat for at least 30 to 40 minutes and then get the heck out of there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45