Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

My Money or My Mind.... [Nightwatch ultimatum]

(7 posts)
  1. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2015 0:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

That is the ultimatum I am faced with here, my money or mind.

I am purchasing a Nightwatch monitor: http://www.bedbugsupply.com/nightwatch-bed-bug-monitor.html

I am going to set it up in our bedroom @ home while we are away next week for 3 or 4 days.

Every little mark on myself or my wife convinces me that I am missing something somewhere, and that by not taking further action I am doing a disservice to my son and pregnant wife as an infestation festers.

I can't afford this device, but I have to weigh my options - continual, unrelenting anxiety or peace of mind achieved thru passive monitors and the Nightwatch.

I try to exist in the "if the passive monitor is clear for 7-14 days, you have a virtual all-clear world" but the real stories of hidden, remote, hibernating infestations in walls, floorboards, ceilings, and unoccupied rooms leaves me unsettled. Our exposed post and beam home provides innumerable cracks and gaps for hiding places. And since itchy skin bumps will never cease, and probably only worsen as the bitter, dry cold moved in, I need additional reassurance.

I have never had a confirmed indicator of BB's in my home despite hundreds of posts with pictures of random bug shells/skins, bloodstains, dead bugs of various kinds, etc (they all have been vehemently confirmed by experts to not be BB-related to-date). Part of me knows I've lost my grip, but I am not convinced I'm clear. This is affecting my life greatly and i have internalized it all - I am literally shortening my life with this atomic worry. I need a way out.

Thanks for reading/listening.

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2015 0:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If it helps, go for it. I never had anything in my passive monitors but am unsure if that occurred due to the area being treated, or because the bedbugs were already Ina harborage they preferred better. Nothing in my Bed Bug Beacon, either. That's $20+$20+$50 right there. Getting gob smacked with recent bites. I'm tired and broke and feeling pretty mean. Lots of "not bb related" answers, but tell that to the damn bug I flushed out of the frame of my sofa...

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2015 11:21:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Byany,

While normally I am absolutely for “just about” anything that gives one peace of mind while dealing with bed bugs – and trying to determine if you have bed bugs – I’m not sure I am in your situation.

Your journey here began 10 months ago. I believe (if I am remembering correctly) you were exposed to bed bugs during a hotel stay and you then took amazing steps to make sure you didn’t bring them home with you.

It has been 10 months. You have stated that in that 10 months you have not once found any evidence that was bed bug related. If you are worried that you brought bed bugs home with you on your initial exposure 10 months ago . . . they would be crawling everywhere and you wouldn’t have to look very hard for evidence.

Byanymeans -  » 
    I can't afford this device, but I have to weigh my options - continual, unrelenting anxiety or peace of mind achieved thru passive monitors and the Nightwatch.

So my question to you is . . . would this really give you peace of mind? What if the Nightwatch does not catch any bed bugs and you and/or your wife continue to get skin reactions? Will you be open to the possibility that it’s not bed bugs and might be something else, or will you decide that the Nightwatch probably just doesn’t work? Did you ever have a professional inspection (sorry I can’t remember)? Would a professional inspection give you any peace of mind? If you truly believe that the Nightwatch will give you peace of mind, then of course I would say go for it. . . but will it?

Byanymeans -  » 
    This is affecting my life greatly and i have internalized it all - I am literally shortening my life with this atomic worry. I need a way out.

What about contacting a therapist to discuss ways to cope with your anxiety? . . . Merely a suggestion.

I know you are hurting, and I am sorry.

(P.S., congratulations on your upcoming new addition. I hope the birth of your son brings you joy and not additional stress in your current state of mind.)

4. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2015 11:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to be clear that I in no way distrust or doubt the feedback from the experts - I have a tremendous amount of faith and confidence in their assessments. I am also eternally grateful to them for their time and commitment. This is a personal issue and a need that transcends what they're able to do for me (at least from a remote location - and I don't think Lou or David make house calls).

I have said it before and I'll say it again, this is possibly the most responsive, informative and effective forum online - a godsend.

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2015 11:27:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Additionally, if you do truly believe that an active monitor will give you peace of mind . . . there are less expensive CO2 monitors available . . . even DIY ones.

6. Byanymeans

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2015 11:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello AbsolutelyFreaking - My last response was more aligned with robinsmom, I had not seen your reply at the time.

I know what you're saying... like I will somehow find a way to determine that the Nightwatch is missing the problem and so the vicious cycle will continue. I can't deny that's a possibility, but I have to take this next step.

Also you ask if I am worried about that initial exposure - no, I realize that if I had an issue from then, it would be beyond intense at this stage. However, that hotel exposure is the life-changing catalyst for this living hell. The fear stems from subsequent trips and the seemingly endless stream of boxes of baby clothes and merchandise that's being delivered to my house. Again, I have never seen anything on those other trips or on anything we ordered but my mind thinks about that hard-to-see rogue bug that was missed and is creating a colony in my home.

My wife has many itchy spots - she knows this is because she's pregnant and it happened last time. She has had itchy skin so bad that she has caused bleeding on the bed - this has been happening for several years - but again, now that I know about BB's and have encountered them in the hotel... all roads lead to them in my mind.

Most recently, after every few days having a single itchy bumps appear on my forearm that would break open when scratched, I got even more freaked... then an orange mark on the Passive monitor on the couch, of course David confirms that an orange mark is not from BB's - but it sends me into a tailspin. I have had these itchy forearm marks literally for several years and never cared about them at all - until now. But I'll say, oh these are different now, they are more fluid filled and I am just thinking they're the same, or maybe I have had just a couple BB's for 5 years. - all things that prolong the anxiety.

Therapy: I have seen someone for 3 sessions but can't afford continual visits. Those sessions were helpful, but...

Bottom line, I am looking for a way out, and if this very expensive but effective device shows that I am clear, then I will make that the catalyst for flipping my mental state. I have to

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 29 2015 13:41:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Byanymeans -  » 
    Bottom line, I am looking for a way out, and if this very expensive but effective device shows that I am clear, then I will make that the catalyst for flipping my mental state. I have to

Then I say go for it! And I absolutely hope it brings you the peace of mind you desire and need!

Please let us know how it works!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10