Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

My mom is a thrift store addict!

(7 posts)
  1. Conwny

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 14:11:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Almost two years ago, I was on these forums like a crazy person. I gained two new roommates after getting a used couch at The Salvation Army (never do this) and immediately thought my life was over (it wasn’t). I ultimately went with heat treatment, but I probably could have solved my problem with a way less costly option like heavy vacuuming (I didn’t even have an infestation). Regardless, it was not a fun time and I’m pretty sure I have PTSD. Before I decided on heat treatment, I thought I’d go with a chemical treatment, so my mom and I spent HOURS at a laundromat heat treating every single clothing item and linen I owned. My mom was a real star the whole time and along with some amazing people I met here, is why I’m semi sane today.

Despite her help, she never really believed what was crawling on me was a bed bug. She still, to this day, swears it was a wood tick (it wasn’t). She was so sure it was nothing and I over-reacted that just days after the whole ordeal was over, she brought home to her house thrift store bookshelves like the hours we spent at the laundromat were just for fun! I was so mad!

She is a thrift store addict and I’m terrified that it’s only a matter of time before she has her own “wood tick” problem. I have expressed my disdain, concerns, and worries, but she does.not.get.it.

Why I’m here again is that she just bought a “new” carry on suitcase for our upcoming trip abroad at a THRIFT STORE. She originally tried to lie and said it was from TJ MAXX. I’m worried enough about all of the houses we will be staying in, the plane trip, and the rental car, I DO NOT need her getting bed bugs before we even leave for our trip.

When I was inspecting her “new” luggage yesterday, I SWEAR there was a little insect leg inside, but she grabbed it to look and it crumbled before I could really get a good look or take a picture. This luggage does look new, but there are a couple marks inside that I don’t think are fecal stains, but with the piece of something that looked like a leg, I’m hyperventilating. It’s really too late, as she has had it in her spare room for days.

I guess I’m just looking to vent and for some suggestions on what to do about her/this.

I paid WAY too much money, have worked hard to be careful for a long time, and lost half of my sanity over my bed bug Incident to have it happen all over again because my mom is ignorant to reality.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 16:42:02
    #

Login to Send PM

You say you had no infestation yet you heat treated anyway? And you're questioning your mom's actions? Maybe I'm not reading this correctly.
    Sure, second hand stuff can be a bit of a risk sometimes, but not always. I would be more apt to pre-inspect a used couch than a bookshelf.

3. Conwny

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Apr 2 2018 18:39:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I don’t know if I had a full-blown infestation, but after bringing home an infested couch. I found a bed bug crawling on me in bed. I found one other before getting my apartment heat treated. The guy who did it gave me a great deal-only $600 to heat treat. So, yeah, I had bed bugs. I just know it wasn’t full-blown, bed bugs coming out of every crack and crevice.

You don’t think it’s risky to buy a secondhand suitcase?

4. Conwny

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Apr 3 2018 15:08:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Am I the only one who thinks buying a used suitcase is risky?

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 15:04:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Explain in detail the scenario you've got in your head and I'll try and explain why I would not fear a used suitcase.

6. Conwny

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Apr 4 2018 18:26:31
    #

Login to Send PM

To me, anything upholstered, made of wood or constructed with lots of nooks and crannies is a risk to buy at a thrift store. One of the biggest ways to get bed bugs is via travel. They get into suitcases and bags. So, to me, outside of buying a bed, a suitcase is a HUGE risk to buy secondhand.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Apr 5 2018 8:48:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, they can get into suitcases when traveling, but they don't STAY in suitcases, they move to where the food is located. I tend to upgrade luggage before a trip, not after one, but maybe that's just me.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,638 posts in 47,029 topics over 144 months by 20,758 of 21,033 members. Latest: tinfoilfronts, paranoidsouthernchick, HopeTheyAreNotBedBugs