My "little" infestation

(3 posts)
  1. MidnightSnak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 2:08:51
    #

Login to Send PM

It started one evening as I threw the covers back to crawl in for a GOOD night's sleep. The last one I've had in just under a month. I know many of you sympathise already. To my curiosity, and slight disgust, there were little black spots on my nice white sheets. What the heck have I been caughing up at night!!??? I'll have to check that out tomorrow, I calmly thought to myself and slipped between the sheets. The next morning... have they multiplied? Then a thorough inspection revealed the "Rust" spots further down than I had pulled the covers back, and one on my pillow. A short time later I was cruising the internet and found the information I WASN'T looking for. Bed Bugs???!! Really??? GTFO!! So following an inspection leaving my bedroom looking like an unfriendly tropical storm had passed through, I had my proof. 2 of the little devils tucked snugly in the folds of my 6 month old box-spring. EEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!! Where did they come from!!?? Then I found something on the corner of fitted sheets. Tiny brownish specs from UNDER the mattress. Carefully wrapping everything from the bed into bundles I followed the directions from this parent site (Just typing that made me think "Parasite") and washed it all in HOT water and dried the living snot out of everything. "Completely dry +20 minutes" ok. How about dry plus another 1 hr cycle. No-one who has had the problem will call me retentive for that. I'm tempted to get fire-proof sheets to take out to the country once a week with a flame-thrower to "Sanitize". And although I still have no new evidence during my nightly inspections before Setting the Bug Buffet, I just KNOW they are lurking about waiting for the dinner bell snore to begin.

I bumped into the Landlord (Owner of the 16 Suite building with a Vet and Adventure guide retail on main floor) in the hallway next day. Peeking first over my shoulder, not wanting to be overheard, I told him of the problem I had discovered and asked his advice. Backstory is I had shoulder surgery to re-attach a muscle I tore from my upper arm and some other odds and ends while Doc was in there, I have had some difficulty in keeping the place up to my standards of cleanliness. But after inviting him in to see what I had found HE BLAMED ME!!!! Stating he had told other tennants to clean up their act and they had. He also suggested "I" get an exterminator. Unlucky for him I've done hours of research by this point and told him the fact I hadn't vaccuumed in over 2 weeks and have some dishes (No Food) on my kitchen counter is NOT the cause. They are as likely to be found in a 5 star hotel as the No-Tell Motel on the outskirts of town. Cockroaches... entirely different. In my city it is the landlord's responsibility to treat for bugs. I asked him if that was the case and he said it was but usually what happens is the tennant is evicted and when the next place asks why, the "Traditional" answer is to say the evictee caused an infestation. Now I'm having "kittens", to leave out the nasty word. Going to get evicted and have to lie about coming from another province or something just to get another cheap apartment didn't sit well with me.

Negotiation time. I reminded him I had done hours of research and have the appropriate government and health agencies pretty much on Speed Dial because of my concern. With knitted brow he returned later with a number of the company they had used on "other" buildings. How convenient. I spoke with the Pest Control he directed me to and arranged a treatment of my suite, which happens in 10 hours and 38 minutes (I'm likely not to sleep at all tonight. Why bother trying? I haven't had a good REM in weeks, what's another day?) Easter Monday because I don't have to skip work to hang out in my vehicle with my 2 beloved Cats for 8 hours while the bug-dust settles. Having completed nearly all of the long list of duties I have before the arrival of Darth CYHALOTHRIN, it's 12:30 AM and drinking tea as I await his arrival at 11:00 AM. Poor Guy better not be late.

I was also informed by the Landlord (The place has a few problems but nothing major. My neighbors are mostly quiet and with an anti-theft device in my vehicle I'm relatively safe) not to talk with anyone about this. Especially my neighbors. Evincing his belief that I am the cause and just treating my suite is going to cure the problem. Even though I have warned him otherwise. I'm fully expecting the situation to be fixed with the one visit after researching the company and chemical they will be using. Fixed for ME and for a short time as well. They are going to migrate to the suites beside and below me. I expect that's where they came from origionally. And come back in a few short months. Or maybe 90 days as the residual effect wears off. If that happens, I'll be sure to add to this already Novel long thread. But hey, if you're here, you likely aren't getting much sleep either and might as well have something to read.

My apologies at being so long winded but I wanted to assure whoever reads this that the pests don't usually carry disease but the mental anguish they cause runs FAR deeper. It's not paranoia. And extends to personal relationships (I'm single and have put my significant other search on hold while I get this straightened out. As well as being very careful not to take the little vampires to see my Family) and professional ones like the stress my Landlord has put me through. I have a basket of underclothes hung from the ceiling at the furthest reaches of my apartment from my bed. I do laundry every day and shrink the heck out of my clothes drying them Bone-Dry-PLUS to put them on immediately and be careful not to sit anywhere before leaving home. Close inspection with a BRIGHT flashlight of my footwear before putting them on. And trying to get by without a jacket in Northern Climes. All to have that shiver of Heeby-Jeebies as I lock the door on my way out.

2. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 2:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry you're going through this hell and the fact I am writing to you at 1:30
    am indicates I have also fallen into an insomnia pattern. I am concerned about
    your hanging a basket of laundry from the ceiling. I think that might be negating
    your thorough washing and drying because BBs are perfectly capable of walking on
    ceilings and even dropping down on sleeping people. It's okay to put the clean clothes in a basket but you've got to at least put
    them in a heavy duty plastic bag first and tie that up well. I've been living out of
    such a bag for months but have since purchased a supposedly BB-proof suitcase
    or clothes zippered encasement from an ad I found here. I am far from ready to
    put my clothes back in a dresser and I think this product will give me more piece
    of mind than a lawn and leaf bag.

3. MidnightSnak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 4:16:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Buggybumpers. The little basket is merely my intent of getting the clothes as far away from the bedroom as I can. An indicator of desperate action to do all I can for just a little peace of mind. I rarely use my living room (less than an hour total over the last 3 months) and the far corner of it had a hook already suspended. Just maximizing the distance they would have to travel. Yes, the ginormous zip locks are on the shopping list but any little bit helps when dealing with the emotional issue. I don't have wooden bedroom furniture, rather large plastic stackable drawers in my closet. I intend to put the bags inside those drawers. And I have read great things about Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE). I'll be doing that too. And still looking for the fire-proof sheets Baits. Steam. Bed covers... A BIG FRIGGIN' HAMMER! Whatever it takes for those lucrative REM sleeps.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,645 posts in 50,006 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa