Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

My first treatment is completed, I feel it went rather well.

(10 posts)
  1. throwaway171

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 30 2011 19:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Before I say anything, feel free to criticize me, and give me some tips!!! I live in a private house and I think I got bedbugs from work. For about a month I thought I was getting mosquito bites, but out of paranoia checked my bed anyways, and didnt see anything for weeks until this past week. I was so ashamed...still am. Anyways I researched like a maniac and came up with my out plan because I've read so many that are conflicting, I did what made sense to me.

Here are the items I bought, Protect a bed mattress cover (I cant get rid of my mattress, so I am going to trap those creatures in there). Murphy's oil orange spray because it has a chemical that is a contact killer. Hot Shot 9 month all bug spray that has Lambda-Cyhalothrin 0.03% other ingredients 99.97%, and had pretty good successes. I bought 10 pounds of food grade DE from amazon, and 1 insect killer garden grade(?) DE from Lowes to use incase my shipment didnt come. Then some supplies, construction breathing mask (looks like a surgeons mask) 80, 13 gallon white glad garbage bags. and cleaning latex gloves (the 30 pack).

Well as I mentioned I live in a private 2 family house and live in the apt upstairs. So immediately when I discovered them I went to lowes and bought the DE insect killer, and put it all over the mattress, around the bed, entrance of the room, down the stairs and by the door connecting the house to the upstairs apt. I didnt have the puffer and did it with a dish scrubber brush. I did to hopefully quarintine/kill them in the room until the weekend, since I work and go to school at night.

OK the weekend is here! Friday night, I go to work bagging everything in my other room (living room) cleaning everything with murphys oil spray, vacuuming, bagging mostly everything. I did this to check if the infestation made it there, and to make room for furniture i cleaned and treated from my bedroom.

Saturday (today) was the big day. I believe what I did was use the isolate the bed technique? Around 10 am Im bagging everything in my night stand, clean it with murphys, they spray every crevice with Hot Shot just in case. I do this to my desk, dresser, and armour. Now I have some room with the nightstand and desk out of the way, with the other furniture treated Im left with my bed. I vacuumed the mattress and dont find much on the top, I carefully flip it and find the motherload, about 20-30 of these creatures, perfect opportunity to test out this hot shot 9 month spray that I heard about in this thread, http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/i-found-this-at-walmart.

The verdict is in and you really have to drown these creatures in the stuff. Yea they react to it in the first 2 sprays, but when I went to look at a few after spraying others, they are slowly moving away. I imagined it as a soilder that had their legs blown off, trying with their last breathe to inch to safety. I sprayed until dead. I regret not vacuuming them off, but if they did survive the spray I am using the family vacuum, so I just encased them. Maybe one day Ill take the mattress outside, remove the cover and take them off.

Now that the mattress is isolated, there is still a chance they are in the bedframe! I took the hot shot and gave my bed a bath, every crevice, screw hole, and what not, it was kind of a pain because my bed has a build in boxspring, but they are slabs of wood really.

To finalized it all, I use my new puffer and DE, that stuff went everywhere, along the wall, around the feet of furniture, all over the carpets and thick lines near entrances, I covered my entire floor in the stuff. Yea I know not really advised, but I couldnt find totourials online so I did what I thought was right.

I have to admit even with the crappy surgeons construction breathing mask I smelled the fumes, I was coughing and blowing my nose a bit, but I calmed down now.

I plan on treating my bedroom every 3-5 days for a month before moving back up there. I also pan on spraying other pesticides for bedbugs, like the hot shot bedbug specific spray, just to make sure they are all dead, I dont like surprises.

So I feel I did pretty good, what do you guys think?

2. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 30 2011 21:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the spray that was discussed in the other thread (sorry, don't have time to look through it right now) was a kitchen spray intended for roaches. You purchased the bedbug-specific spray, correct? ...purple label I think?

Either way, I wouldn't trust hotshot alone as your pesticide treatment. Also, know that if you stay away, the bedbugs won't have their food source and may venture out to find one... Be careful with your living space, as it sounds like you used a crapload of that spray. Don't hurt yourself.

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 6:32:07
    #

Login to Send PM

throwaway171 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Before I say anything, feel free to criticize me...

Any possibility of skipping the four-letter vocabulary? It would seem unlikely to increase people's feelings of sympathy for you and desire to help you.
    Moderator note: Curse words have been edited out of the OP. All now sunshine and rainbows.

4. Amy731

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 6:59:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't understand why you'd spend all that money and not get a professional in first?

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 8:52:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, T. Hopefully, your attack was successful, though, experts would probably find a lot to criticize about your tactics.

For you and anyone else in this predicament, I recommend you read our site's excellent FAQ.
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/

To get a good intro to good practices for inspecting for, identifying and fighting bed bugs, a comprehensive guide from our Resources page, like this one.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf

A good overview/tutorial on diatomaceous earth and how to use it.
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 9:18:07
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - 2 hours ago  » 

throwaway171 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Before I say anything, feel free to criticize me...

Any possibility of skipping the four-letter vocabulary? It would seem unlikely to increase people's feelings of sympathy for you and desire to help you.
    Moderator note: Curse words have been edited out of the OP. All now sunshine and rainbows.

Yay nobugs knows best!

OP means «original post» is that correct.

7. throwaway171

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 22:00:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Amy731 - 14 hours ago  » 
    I don't understand why you'd spend all that money and not get a professional in first?

To get a good reputable PCO in NYC would run me hundreds if not over a thousand dollars. I just cant afford that. Then I would have to pay for all the laundering and cleaning of clothes. Final expense could be $2000 for my floor of the house.

I spent about $200 on supplies and the mattress cover, and I did a pretty good job imo.

8. throwaway171

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 31 2011 22:05:59
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 1 day ago  » 
    I think the spray that was discussed in the other thread (sorry, don't have time to look through it right now) was a kitchen spray intended for roaches. You purchased the bedbug-specific spray, correct? ...purple label I think?
    Either way, I wouldn't trust hotshot alone as your pesticide treatment. Also, know that if you stay away, the bedbugs won't have their food source and may venture out to find one... Be careful with your living space, as it sounds like you used a crapload of that spray. Don't hurt yourself.

This was the spray I purchased, it has the "in demand" chemichal to kill them in it. So I used it for now. http://www.hotshot.com/Products-and-Solutions/General-Insect-Control/Home-Insect-Control.aspx

Im debating buying the purple one for next weeks second treatment. I had a fairly low infestation, only the mattress, and possibly the bed, though upon inspection it showed no signs, but I aggressively vacuumed and sprayed it as a precaution.

9. John01

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 11:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Our apartment maintenance department used bug bomb aerosols in each room which killed 99% of the bugs. I'm sorry, I don't know what product they used.

I can say, however, I have discovered an excellent product which kills instantly on contact: ZEP Heavy-Duty Floor Stripper - available at Home Depot for about $10.00 / Gallon. I mix a ratio of 50/50 with tap water in a trigger spray bottle ($1 at Walmart) and adjust the nozzle for a narrow spray. Just one drop will do the trick - I adjust it to narrow spray to make sure I get it on the first shot.

Upon contact, the bug's whole body seizes and (presumably) dies. I dab it up with a small piece of tissue and flush it down the toilet. This is not a preventative product as it only addresses the odd bug(s) that may appear. You must use a commercial product for long term treatment.

The only drawback to using this floor stripper solution: Be careful as to what surfaces/finishes you use it on or near. This will strip wax and polishes from any surface. Using to spot-kill bugs directly on your bedding, this will appear clear for several days but will eventually leave a light mark similar to a urine stain. This will wash out in the laundering.

Good hunting.

10. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 9:17:50
    #

Login to Send PM

@John There are safer substances that are contact killers, like murphy's oil soap, etc.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE