My fight with bb's

(21 posts)
  1. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2012 22:14:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Now that I am beginning to feel that I have beat the bugs, I keep coming on here to look for the success stories and to celebrate with all of you who are beating it too! For those of you who may not know, I had to actually leave my townhouse in March, 2012, because the bugs were coming in through the walls of an adjoining unit. I worked with our condo's pco's to beat the problem from September, 2011 until February, 2012, but the people next door, who were the source of the problem, were not dealing with it effectively. So ... I've been living in an apartment since last March (for 6 months now) and although I have experienced other little bites and perhaps even recurrences of old bites, I have not seen one bb. I have moats around the legs of the futon I sleep on each night and have seen nothing in them. I clean them about every three weeks or so and coat them with a little baby powder and de that has an insecticidal powder mixed in with it, which I purchased from Home Depot, I think. I have "smudged" the entire floor and cracks in the floor under the bed and all around the perimeter of my apartment with this powder (the floor is hardwood laminate). Before that, I caulked the entire perimeter - to prevent any hiding places for any bugs that may have followed me from my townhouse. I have also dusted some of the powder on my mattress (which has a bb blocker cover). In addition, I draped a sheet under the mattress, over the bed frame, so that the powder I dusted on the mattress would hold. You have to be very careful not to breathe this though and so whenever I apply the dust, I wear a protective mask (you can purchase them from the hardware store). I think I have beat it<?><!> It was hard during the summer months to know WHAT was biting me ... there are a lot of possibilities: the "no see ums" (a variety of very tiny winged bugs, some of them blood sucking) that can make their way through screens. .. I have also just been hyper-sensitive, I think, since this whole affair started. So I notice EVERYTHING that happens to my skin, now. But I am actually beginning to feel a bit more normal again. And I want to continue to share my success with you all as I hopefully end the fight. I plan to stick around here for a while to let you all know how things are going. I encourage the ones who drop by here for help to continue to stick around and share their successes too. We all need that kind of support from you. Please - let us know what happened.

2. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2012 10:10:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for sharing your story! Sadly so many people just want to put the whole ordeal behind them that they don't take the time to post their success stories. Congratulations.

3. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2012 21:37:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Still no signs of any bugs but since visiting my son's place on the weekend, I have got a few very tiny raised red dots that aren't really itchy. Keep in mind that I am trying hard not to examine myself daily since this seems to just make my problem seem worse. I'm trying not to obscess over it like I have been for the last year. I'm trying to imagine myself as being "clean" while at the same time being careful to watch on a regular basis. This past year has brought additional personal troubles, other than bb's (two close family members have passed away and our family has been forced to live separate and apart because of the ongoing bb issue). This has resulted in a lot of anxiety for me and I am now on anti-depressants. I thought I would never feel I needed to rely on this type of medication! But I know that right now it is what is best for me. Also, my friends have been a great help and support. I feel less anxious and also feel a sense of relief. I know that once I have beat this I will stop taking the meds.

4. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 14 2012 11:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

RE DE:
    After months of chemical treatments I finally opted to leave my townhouse and sue my next door neighbours for negligence (they let their prob get so out of control it spilled over into our unit). I am now living in an apartment. Before I moved in, I had the pco come and do a preventive chem treat. In my apartment I seemed to be getting "bitten" but never ever saw one bb. But because of the fact that I had to keep going back and forth from my primary (infested) home, I felt I needed some protection at my apartment. I gave my whole apartment some chem sprays, purchased from a do-it-yourself pest control products store here in town. I did a thorough steaming at least twice, but this is very time consuming and I don't have a lot of patience with it. (If you are using DE or chem sprays, be sure to sweep up the DE as much as possible before steaming. Don't vacuum it up as this will throw the DE into the air! Wash the floor well, and THEN you could steam). The house smells GREAT after steaming, btw! I also caulked around the entire perimeter of the baseboard area of my apartment. I bought some foam filler and filled in the crevices around the pipes, etc. Then I bought some DE [b][i]that has an insectide added (could very likely be more effective than just the straight DE you can buy from a feed store) I always put a double sheet on the bed and washed and dried it regularly on high). I shook it out on the front lawn before putting it in the washing machine to get some of the DE out first), in the walls through the electrical outlets, on the wood laminate floor, in closets and cracks and crevices (what were left of them after the caulking and filling!)
    Now that I look back, I probably did an overkill job but still feel that one can't be too vigilant in working to eradicate this problem. I agree that no one method will necessarily solve the problem - you have to use several strategies, especially regular inspections using a magnifying glass and strong flashlight (LED is good) - and educate yourself on what signs of bed bug activity to look for. I have spent hours on this and other sites, reading information to educate myself! Also, while I like DE very much, I must emphasize that you need to be very careful not to inhale it as it can damage your lungs. I used only a good quality dust mask but if I ever face the need to beat this prob again, I will invest in a full respirator mask. My health is more important that the bb prob!
    Towards the end of an infestation or if you think you may have bb's but aren't sure/haven't seen any, putting down DE, alone, as a strategy may be a good first step. If the problem goes away, great. If it persists, you may need more. Remember that pco's will probably ask you to not use DE and other sprays while they are treating your home as this can make their treatments less effective. Also, re the DE: I am always careful to put down a VERY thin layer. These bugs are very tiny and I have read that yes they will just walk around the dust if it is too thick. So I "smudge" it into the floor with the bottom of my slippers. I especially pay attention to the cracks in the floor now rather than spreading it everywhere because this is where they probably hide. If you do this, just make sure there is no breeze in the house to kick up anything and don't keep it down for a long time. Maybe just a month and then clean it up. Putting it in cracks and crevices where it won't be as likely to blow around is probably much safer. I was just willing to go to more extreme lengths to ensure I wasn't bringing "anything" back to my apartment.
    I have been living in this apartment since March/12 and have never once seen a bb. Not even in the climbups I have on my bed legs. My primary home is now almost bb free, if not already. The bites I have thought I was getting at the apartment could have been from other causes, e.g., recurring bites from when I was being bitten in my primary home during the infestation, or it could be an allergic reaction from the dust or the chemicals. Or it could be that there are "no see ums" (very tiny winged bugs) that are responsible. I still don't know. But if I ever find out what it is/was, I will let you all know.

5. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2012 20:46:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I just did a quick check of the moats (passive monitors) under my couch bed legs and all looks well (as usual). I also checked again for signs on my sheets (none). While I am beginning to feel normal again, I still live "carefully":
    - I bag my clothing when I get home and then take a quick shower.
    - I don't sit on my couch and watch tv, usually because that is strictly where I sleep.
    - I wear long sleeved and long legged pj's EVERY night - and have been since this problem started in September, 2011. I usually wear a clean pair every night..
    - I wash and hot dry my sheets about twice a week, and sometimes more often.
    - I have finally started to put out my clothing but am not using a dresser. I put them on the high wire rack shelves in my closets, in organized piles. I am beginning to bag my summer clothing that I know I won't wear any more.
    - I smudge DE into cracks and crevices around the entrance to my apartment, where I might be more likely to bring in something that could be infected (i.e. from work?)

All my stuff that was treated by the gas is now in a storage unit. I am sorting through it there, throwing out, bringing some stuff here to the apartment and taking some of the stuff up to my cottage shed because soon I will be putting more of my stuff from my house into the storage unit. Since the gas treated stuff is 100% effective, I want it out of there before I start packing up my chemical treated stuff in the house. I will want to leave THAT stuff in storage a lot longer.

I am going to call the pco in a few days to find out what our next step might be. I want to sell my house because this lifestyle is way too expensive for me. But at least it brings me peace of mind.

Best of all, I sleep like a baby.

6. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 23:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, fellow bb sufferers,

I feel so good about possibly (finally, at last, of course) - having BEAT "it"... I am almost too hesitant to admit this, because of the possibility that it might not be entirely true<?> But I dare not even think that it might not be! I do very much so feel "clear". Since I now live alone and have almost complete<?> control over my "domain" (I live in a 20-storey highrise bldg!)... I feel confident that YES - I have "beat it". ....

I also happen to feel happier in general, more grateful and wanting to share all of the good things in my life.

So I'd like to begin by acknowledging "www.bedbugger.com" and all the good people who support it, because without them, I may not have been able to effectively manage the situation I once found myself in as of September/11. My life has dramatically changed as a result.

7. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 19 2012 0:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I read somewhere that in the last big bb infestation (was it the 30's), "public education was the single most factor in beating the prob.

8. Blackheart

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 19 2012 5:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes Public Education could really make a difference. I wonder what would it take to make such a Campaign happen?

9. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Oct 27 2012 21:40:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Oct. 27 and doing ok. No issues. Still busy moving the stuff I had fumigated in a truck to my apartment and the rest to my cottage shed. Soon I'll be moving the "not so sure" items to my storage unit from my home to sit for a year or so. It works well for me since I have a year off work as of this June. But living in an apartment as well as paying for my townhome (I can't sell it until it's been cleared completely of the bb problem and the condo corp is still dealing with infested units not far from mine.) is pretty expensive. I am hoping my next door neighbour - who started this whole problem in the first place - will follow through and pay what I am asking, in damages.

10. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 28 2012 20:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't like the anti-depressants and have quit as of a week ago. Feels great. I know things will be ok. They will all work themselves out, I am sure. Still feeling optimistic that I have actually beat this! The only prob now is to ensure that the situation remains clear in the condo where I first experienced the problem. Our condo corp is working on it and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

11. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 3 2012 19:42:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm at the cottage for the last weekend of the season. Upon arrival, I found a couple of dead "no see-ums" - winged creatures, and there are quite a variety of types, I have learned!) ... was it the sprinkles of de I put around in the secluded cracks and crevices that killed them? Anyway, I was happy to see them DEAD! Last night I slept like a baby on the cou (Ich in a sleeping bag. Nothing! Just peaceful SLEEP! If there is "anything" upstairs in the bedroom, it will have to crawl through a bit of de (to say the least!) By the time "it" might finally get to me, it is going to be quite weak - maybe even sick, or dead! I really enjoy sleeping in peace these nights. Good luck to all of you in the war. (I'll let you know if "anything" made it to my bed tonight. Can't wait to find out!!!!
    ;-D

12. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2012 21:10:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, nothing happened at the cottage. I continued to sleep well. So maybe we haven't carried anything there, after all.

Maybe it's because I am hyper observant at times but I noticed two very teeny tiny red dots - one on each hand, with a scab over it. I don't freak out like I used to because I am better armed with information. For example, time will eventually tell everything and in the last 8 months I have found absolutely NO evidence of bb's here at my apartment. My son and his girlfriend live at our primary residence and continue to sleep well. But the problem further down the townhouse block still has to be dealt with...

But in all, I feel very good. It is such a feeling of freedom to finally likely not have the "problem" any more! But I still need to come hear and read others' stories to remind myself of the facts, for example that two little dots on my hands don't necessarily = bb infestation.

13. Blackheart

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2012 21:14:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh God I know, Lets, It's been over a month for me and I'm so hoping this is the end, but I'm also so afraid to claim victory, makes you wanna pray, even if you are not Religious!

14. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 20 2012 21:39:53
    #

Login to Send PM

How are you doing lately, Blackheart?
    Last night I had a dream about bugs and today noticed a small red bloch on my neck (not itchy). But I don't panic any more about this kind of thing. While I am somewhat concerned, I just keep my eyes open: I checked the mattress cover and the slats of my bed and carefully placed some de with pyrethins added into the cracks and crevices of the slats. I washed and dried my sheets and pillowslips on high heat, made my bed and am now about to go to sleep.
    I am monitoring what happens to my skin when I get stressed and last night I was really stressed because I have a cough and cold and was up for two hours in the night, coughing. I went to work today, despite the fact that I was tired and not feeling well. I am mindful of the fact that this could be an allergic reaction of my skin, other than bb's, especially since I haven't seen a bug since I moved into my apartment almost 8 months ago and there have been zero signs of any activity.....

15. fkbedbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 22 2012 3:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have not seen a bedbug since I moved in July 2012. My skin does weird things, too when I am stressed, seems I have become more sensitive to certain soaps, shampoos, laundry detergents, etc. I was not like this before my awful bedbug experience.

16. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2012 21:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me know how it goes, fk. For me? Still get the odd skin irritation but no sign of anything. I continue to wash my bedding at least once a week. I'm slowly starting to break the habit of having two showers a day. I don't live out of bags, any more. It feels good.

17. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2012 17:59:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Found two or three tiny black marks (at both the head and foot of the bed) on my white sheets that were touching the steel frame I am sleeping on. I was looking extra carefully as I was changing my sheets today because I noticed a raised bump just behind my ear (not really itchy). I read on here that if you spray hydrogen peroxide on the stain it should likely foam if there is blood in it but at the time I sprayed I was looking for smearing, not foaming. Next time if this happens, I'll spray the hyrdrogen peroxide, then look for any foaming.
    There was no smearing really that I noticed. I researched on here a bit and read that someone noticed that if a sheet is up against a steel bed frame, it can sometimes get stains that could look like bb fecal stains (not sure why, and if this is actually true?). Then why didn't my other sheet get stained like that?
    Well, I am certainly not going to over-react because other than this one "bite" - and who knows even if it is a bite?! - I have had no reason to be concerned.

18. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2012 18:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Letsbeatit, what about Bed Bug Blue? It might come in handy if it happens again?

19. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 15 2012 0:56:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you used it? Found it accurate/effective?

20. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 15 2012 1:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. It absolutely worked for me. And I believe David Cain highly recommends it and I believe he has worked with enough bb fecal to know what works!

21. Letsbeatit

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 3:33:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I haven't noticed any black specks at all, other than the ones I mentioned a week or so ago. Also, the passive monitors under each of my bed legs remain clear, as usual. And I think that the irritation behind my ear was likely from not washing behind my ears as well as I could have. I really wish my skin wasn't so sensitive - I managed to not freak out this evening when I noticed a red welt on my cheek that had suddenly appeared an hour or so after going to bed. I think it may have just been that I was scratching my face earlier. After having had bb's it seems so easy to attribute any minor little skin irritation to "that". So I don't immediately draw that conclusion any more. It is a much healthier way of looking at things.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs