(331 posts)
  1. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 31 2013 18:46:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear makbar,

Stop, don't waste your time and especially if your predisposed to allergic reactions !

Use a steamer and vacuum to remove your bed bugs immediately.

Also, carefully apply DE.

The combination of the above will undoubtedly out perform your other option.

However, read up on the FAQ and resources pages on how to do this properly prior to doing so.

Good luck ! pjb

2. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jun 1 2013 1:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

for whatever it's worth

I did ended up trying that stuff, twice

It DID NOT work, I ended up pulling out my Ventolin and Flovent (that I did not use for years) in order to breathe right after applying it

so for those with allergies, I absolutely would pass

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  3. Tardigrade

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Dec 12 2013 23:05:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, I have been lurking on this thread for a while now, reading it is therapy.

I moved out of my parents house 2 months ago, I have got bedbugs from roomies infested stuff 6 weeks ago, called a PCO, he treated house with pyrethroids twice, I tried DE but had no results other than dehydration and chapped lips. I then decided to order Beauveria Bassiana.

Adding 50 ml of the powder to a 500 ml sterilized spray bottle had no effect (12 days ago) even if it looked promising at first as I could see white puffs bloom after 5 minutes. I now think that the spores did not have enough water to grow to their parasitic stage.

Following Dave's suggestion, I decided to do some more math and found out that I only needed to add 1/2 teaspoon to 500 ml. I reapplied the spray tonight and it looks promising.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 13 2013 8:02:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This bio pesticide was discussed at the sumit last week and the author of the study said the currently avaiable strain will not work as a specific strain and specific carrier is needed.

She commented that people should not be trying this until the development is complete as results will differ from what they are doing in the lab.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 13 2013 11:05:19
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    This bio pesticide was discussed at the sumit last week and the author of the study said the currently avaiable strain will not work as a specific strain and specific carrier is needed.
    She commented that people should not be trying this until the development is complete as results will differ from what they are doing in the lab.
    David

Thanks for that information, David.

I hope that consumers will stop experimenting with this product until it is fully developed and tested in the field and confirmed as a viable treatment option.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. rubykimcali

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 19:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband used beauveria bassiana and got all of the bedbugs eliminated within one week. Using a spray bottle, he sprayed it on only the 3 walls in our home. It works.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 19:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ruby,

While I'm sure that your post is well intentioned, this material is not recommended by myself nor any of my industry colleagues for use against bed bugs by either professionals or lay persons.

Currently the only data available simply makes for a story of interest but NOT, under any circumstances, a viable, efficacious commercial product.

Thanks much ! paul b.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jan 5 2014 15:51:47
    #

Login to Send PM

rubykimcali - 20 hours ago  » 
    My husband used beauveria bassiana and got all of the bedbugs eliminated within one week. Using a spray bottle, he sprayed it on only the 3 walls in our home. It works.

Bed bugs generally congregate in beds and furniture where people sit. That you eliminated a "bed bug" problem by applying a product to the walls, leads me to believe that you may have misidentified your problem as "bed bugs".

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  9. Flamulina

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 9:38:00
    #

Login to Send PM

13 years ago I went off label using a permethrin fogger. Phyrethroids were unknown then. Only Pyrethrin was accepted and not many products with it. Our fogger did the job in one application. We left it over night and saw the results.
    Fast forward 13 years: permethrin on label, Phyrethroids now obsolete, the way of the DDT.
    One of the most chilling things I read in an NBC news report was this a and A: why don't we have an effective treatment in the market?" "Because it would have to be licensed by FDA and this costs in the range of hundreds of millions" Ironic, when you think of Monsanto.
    By the time our regulatory system catches to bbs, they escalate. So, I'll follow science instead.
    So, for these reasons, plus extensive reading and my mycology knowledge I will take care of some affids in my apartment when my bB comes. I'll update.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 9:50:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You may want to read the notes from the Dec 2013 global bedbug summit where the BB fungus author said the currently available commercial strains needed to have a change in formulation to make them work as a water suspension did not give them good results.

There are better and safer ways to deal with bedbugs and they can be found in the well research and experience based FAQs.

David

11. Flamulina

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 11:32:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried everything I can afford - meaning no PCOs. I hope science comes with a better delivery system soon, for the sake of all the sufferers. My health cannot take many more sleepless nights so, I go with the imperfect state of the art of bB.

12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 13:53:29
    #

Login to Send PM

From what the researchers are saying, there is not a way to use the current BB fungus strains to work. So, if you buy it, it may be a waste of money. Some people who experminted came back and reported lung issues afterward.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  13. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 13:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Flamulina (strange name I must say, unusual)

I totally understand your despair and exhaustion and can relate to it

But Bb is no silver bullet, you need a very high level of dampness for it to work (when they use it in greenhouse for other pests) so unless your house is like a greenhouse it won't work

There is always a thread here and there that pops up every few months or so where individuals claim they have tried everything and it didn't work and now they found something and magically it does....

Never ever any proof is given

Like the long thread about applying Ortho Home Defense everyday and the PCOs are a conspiracy

Like the Revolution for fleas on human and taking pills

One thing that PCOs and people keep using is DE, this is something I believe BB have not adapted to or not grown any resistance, it's extremely cheap for people on a budget

I suggest you go DE instead of Bb

14. Flamulina

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 14:09:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you.
    As I said, I did try everything and at present DE covers my bed platforms and the floor around the beds for weeks now. I sent clouds of it in every nook and cranny in my apartment and I still have sleepless nights. Flamulina is a mushroom which grows this season - yes, a relative of bB.
    Mushrooms are my friends and if I am to accept that I am no longer at the top of the food chain, I'd rather have a mushroom than an insect. bB BTW is a strain of cordyceps. So, when I am plotting my revenge, I see scenes from Alien - past the face hugging part. I saw once in the woods a pretty mushroom growing from the stomach of a bug and this is what occupies my brain when I cannot sleep. I am willing to keep my place green house humid for a week if this is what it takes. I tried DE dry and didn't quite work.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 15:02:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sometimes dealing with bedbugs is not actually about spraying things and often that search for the right thing to spray leads you down paths that end in failure.

If you are currently using DE it should be in moderation, in low enough quantities that its a fine mist an barely visible. After that you actually want to have a low humidity for it to be effective rather than a high humidity as you want to dehydrate the bedbugs not slow down their dehydration.

I can only suggest that you start a new thread and share the details of what you have done and what you see in terms of activity as to be honest the threads that tend to start by dredging upon an old thread and especially one that does not work tend not to go very far.

If you want to start a fresh I am sure you will find people more willing to make suggestions rather than switching off after the 1st or 2nd page of this thread where it becomes clear what you are suggesting has both issue to peoples health and does not work as confirmed by the person behind the research work at Penn state.

David

16. Flamulina

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 15:48:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I was planning or open a new thread once I have some facts to add. I am presently just waiting for my spores to arrive, so I thought it would be less presumptuous of me if I just added an opinion to my topic of interest. So far, the most serious objections are "not field tested" and "the delivery method could use improvement". Got it. The first one, btw could have something to do with the lack of a hundred million dollars. I believe a license may be required for field testing. As for the delivery method, I just hope the imperfect one will work for me and some day the rest of you will be delivered as well in the near future.

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 15:59:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry you have missed my point. I meant open a new thread to discuss what you have done to date on your situation and seek advice and input not a new thread on a technique that does not work.

In some situation a case review will uncover information and advice which solves the issue.

However if you wan to have a conversation on BB only this is the place on this thread so that people read all te information.

I guess it depends on if you want input to your situation or if you don't.

David

18. Flamulina

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 17:11:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not want input on my present situation. It is clear to me that at best I keep them at bay and get the occasional night sleep. It is also clear that it's the highest expectation from "pest control" - hence the replacement of the word "extermination". It's just not good enough for me. I got rid of them 13 years ago and I'll do it again and it won't be by doing the stuff that doesn't work.

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 17:24:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Actually my reason for offering is more accurately to establish how you are getting bedbugs so that you can then eradicate them without worry of apparent control failure issues due to reintroduction.

I many cases that can be achieved cost effectively using hard work and cost effective methods more easily than may first appear.

I certainly feel that experimenting in something that even the academics leading the research don't recommend should only be considered once all other options are carefully considered.

My offer still stands to help you look at the details but if you want to experiment please contact the author of the research for advice because they are the best people to help you and until a working protocol that is efficacious is established the forum tends not to support self experimentation.

David

20. Flamulina

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 1 2014 22:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in an apartment building and I get it most likely from the neighbors. I didn't introduce anything from outside, we didn't travel, stayed in hotels, brought luggage. So, unless they dropped on us from the sky outside, they climbed on pipes, wiring or such. It's a theory as I never saw an encampment, just a few individuals.

21. Grady1

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 2:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hallelujah! Took me an hour to get logged in-register. wtf?????
    Used propane and BB last fall. Didn't reapply BB. Didn't know about it's not surviving in dry conditions. Going to reapply BB but every two weeks for a while and see if that works. I hate poisons. Anyone else out there that has been successful with BB please email me @ [email deleted]
    Thanks

......only found about 5 after 6 months treating.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 10:12:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Grady1,
    I had to delete your email address per the forum rules.
    I almost dread to ask but were you using the propane?

23. Vidyut

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 24 2014 14:26:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Reading this post quite late, but for what it is worth, I have successfully got rid of bedbugs using Beauveria Bassiana. I am in India and there is no indication I can't use it at home on the packet so I was using it for my balcony garden (not exactly indoors, but...) when friend requested for some because he had bedbugs. He didn't want to buy a lot and just wanted some so...

Told him I wouldn't be responsible if he got eaten by a fungus and everyone who came to cremate him met the same fate. He said ok. Informed consent. (I did it a bit more diligently than this)

There were bedbugs easily to be found in creases and stuff. Some even scurrying around in less exposed areas in the day and biting as well! I probably should have killed the ones I could before beginning, but I didn't. I had nightmares from a previous infestation and I wasn't going to get any closer to them than I could help it. I just sprayed right into that abundance.

Took my spray with the BB solution for his BBs. Sprayed around edges of bed mostly and chairs and sofa. Not very heavy spraying. No drenching or any such thing. Avoided main contact areas and focused more on creases and such. More to infect than coverage (had the advantage of knowing how BB works from my plants). Just making sure the bedbugs touched it if they wanted any hiding places.

I was not too scared of the fungus itself seeing as how if it is in the ground, it probably wouldn't cause the end of the world, but this friend does have some allergies (part of the reason there were so many bed bugs is that he can't use a lot of the stuff that kills them). No residue left after drying (or wasn't enough residue to be visible).

Bed bugs died in a week. No reinfestation. Friend was alive and well. This was two years ago. Status is same now. Bugs dead, friend unharmed.

Just shared this here, because it was a successful use of Beauveria Bassiana to kill bedbugs though not off label - in India labels don't forbid home use though it is sold as a pesticide for crops, so indoors may be an unexpected context.

I don't know why the original poster had to use so much or was not able to wipe them out (not that I had to use it more than that one time when I was wary of using too much). In our case, the bedbugs got infected and died nicely cozied up body to body with more bedbugs and infected them too (is the guess). Full terminator stuff with much less quantity.

The only reason I can think of is humidity. Here in Mumbai humid is the default. Perhaps places without so much humidity can try a mister or something. Or just spray water into the air on and off. Or mop the floor with a bit much water. Or something. I imagine spraying water is better than spraying more of the fungus or repeat applications.

Note: I make absolutely no claims of safety beyond my friend and me being okay - if you spray in your house, the two of us will still be okay. No guarantees about you. Particularly if you live in a place where the law will help you get a pound of flesh from me.

24. Vidyut

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 24 2014 14:50:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Read the thread again. Got the thought that perhaps the results were so dramatic because there were so many bedbugs that enough were alive to infect new batches hatching before they died?

Also old email friend says that the bedbugs were not completely eradicated in a week, but most of them were gone. He continued to find the odd few for a while till they all died. My bad. So maybe the leftover spores did the trick. Humidity would be the key that means.

Also reminds me that there were two places I sprayed heavily - between the headboard and the wall, between the mattress and wooden plank and the storage compartment under it. No drenching as such till runoff, but covered full area.

25. Daylight

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 24 2014 17:09:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting post, Vidyut. I'm glad it worked for you.

I read one of your previous posts from 2010 where you eradicated an infestation you acquired from a suitcase. You mentioned using an aerosol spray that was effective. Do you remember what it was? You had good luck with it.

Thanks for sharing.

26. Vidyut

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 23 2015 7:28:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 4 months ago  » 
    I read one of your previous posts from 2010 where you eradicated an infestation you acquired from a suitcase. You mentioned using an aerosol spray that was effective. Do you remember what it was? You had good luck with it.

It was a local product called "Khatnil". It worked somewhat better, but I was never too comfortable about using it - no idea on ingredients (sigh, India.). Called "herbal" but contained turpentine or something. The insecticide chalk worked quite well too. Better than all the sprays, IMO.

About the earlier two posts on experience using beauveria bassiana - I don't know if this makes a difference/is relevant, but when I make the BB solution, I mix it with some sugar water - a spoon or two per liter (I am sure there will be an exact amount recommended, but I just wing it) and keep for a few hours before using - not just dissolving WP in water.

27. Daylight

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2015 17:18:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback, Vidyut!

28. GhangisKong

banned

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2015 1:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, thank you also, Vidyut - that's so sweet and thoughtful and helpful of you. I did a correlation google search and found the following:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/04/07/sinus-infections-part-two.aspx
    "Fungus feeds on sugar and grains (which break down to sugar in your body), so reducing or eliminating these foods is necessary to keep fungus under control."

http://www.amb-express.com/content/pdf/s13568-014-0047-6.pdf

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-89132005000400007

Thanks for the great tip about adding sugar to give this fungus something to feed on after midnight, like gremlin! Grow fungus, grow, and then infect these bugs!

I'm running a field test too, and logging it at http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/my-mycoinsecticide-experiment-off-label-use

If you see me making a mistake along the way, or a place where I can improve the killer fungus's odds, please let me know if you can.

29. alchemistletoe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 3 2016 7:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I love this thread. Thank you all.
    It could really benefit from more brevity and less condenscention, less analogies and less logical fallacies.
    Of course the experiment of an individual is going to be anecdotal! They don't have the opportunity to be anything but anecdotal!
    I've studied IPM, entomology and mycology, I have two pesticide applicator licenses (not the residential/exterminator one though)
    In canada we have so many fewer registered pesticides for specialty crops that sticking to on-label reccomendations might foster the development of resistance, it's a sticky situation, there are fairly simple exemption for non food crops, but there are food farms on the border who have southern neighbors who have effective treatments while they have no option but to let pests ruin their crop. The litigious positions, even approvals for safe and effective use, of any of US health, evironment and saftey agencies become meaningless across that imaginary line along the 49th parrallel.
    Despite all the discouraging long winded monologues about safety, legality and the scientific method, I'm convinced that if I encounter an infestation I may eventually try Bb, after an array of cultural control methods, DE, and of course positive identification, pre-treatment survey, and I would report my results. I would even try it as an alternative to lice shampoo, but I'm pretty cavalier, gonzo even, and that's a different can of worms I hope I don't have to open, and I would hope the lice forum is as good a read as this one. Just imagine the IRB related headaches that might generate as an obstacle to entomopathogenic treatments for lice that could be a great boon to some low resource societies with customs opposed to hair cutting!
    Again, thank you to the many participants in this discussion. I registered just to say so.

30. Leila

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Mar 9 2019 23:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Dave - so sorry your thread was totally hyjavked by so called professionals -
    Your trial has given us hope for first time in 11 months.
    We have tried everything.
    Sad to see that someone who shares his experience and obviously had a TOTAL SUCCESS. Is beeing spat upon by socalled professionals.
    Anyhows thanks for your post.

31. Leila

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 22:55:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Ps: how dare you not buy the passive monitor! 😂

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,530 posts in 47,701 topics over 147 months by 21,020 of 21,346 members. Latest: pray4mojo, yassine, tsm