Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

My conclusion to bed bugs

(6 posts)
  1. SalsaVince

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 19:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I think it’s finally time to end this story. (Click here)
    I was just about to do this a month ago and then my mom had some suspicious marks on her arm that I didn’t like the looks of so I decided to wait a little longer. She has had nothing since and hasn’t actually seen a bug dead or alive for 3 months. She has opened up almost all of her bagged stuff and gotten back to normal again.

Conclusions:

Steam is awesome! My steamer was the first thing that made me feel like we could beat them after I saw how it vaporizes them and their eggs and can reach into cracks and through several layers of fabric. I think it’s a great way to start the fight after you find them. Inspect thoroughly and when you find signs of them, steam everything around it. I wouldn’t even bother vacuuming or cleaning it first. I’d fry them where they stand and then clean up the casualties.

Cimexa is magic! I was starting to doubt it worked after I saw a live bug the day after I applied it. I put that bug in a ziplock bag with another one we had caught the week before. The next day, when I looked at it, it was just a frosty white skeleton. Just from the contact it had walking over the cimexa the day before was enough to kill it even after it had been removed from the treated area and was inside of a clean bag. I sprinkled a tiny bit more in another bag that I had a couple in and they were dead within 24 hours as well. I never found another live bug after that.

Don’t get carried away with bagging. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t have bagged every item in all of her drawers and closet. Although it’s possible that they could be in other places in the room, I would just focus on near the bed and furniture and have a couple of bags of clean heat treated clothes to wear outside the house for a couple of months until you’re in the clear. If you’re getting residual sprays or using dusts, I’d rather have the bugs come out of hiding sooner than later and get exposed so they die. If they seem to keep popping up for weeks after treatment, I would do a deeper inspection of other parts of the room to figure out where they are coming from but from what the experts have said and the experiences that I’ve read along with our own, they were right where they’re supposed to be. Close to us.

Monitors give you peace of mind. I ended up with like 16 climb ups or similar interceptors around the apartment. If I had known about passive monitors like David’s, I would have definitely tried those as well. I did the feet of my mom’s bed in climb ups but I wasn’t as concerned with isolation as I was with monitoring. We just happened to get lucky with her bed and wiped them out within a week basically so they were always clean. The living room was a different story. I couldn’t put the recliner in climb ups so I just put them next to and around it and around the couch. Within 24 hours, I had an average of one bug in each one. The next day, a couple more. After I steamed it (twice), I only saw one every couple of days even after I added more interceptors. Then, after the cimexa, I only ever found dead ones in them. So they do catch them. It’s not with the goal of capturing all of them to eradicate them. It’s just to help you measure your progress and give you an idea of where they are most active. One monitor is better than dozens of sets of human eyes trying to spot bugs.

If you live in an apartment, make friends with your apartment’s management and neighbors. It’s going to be a coordinated fight so everyone needs to be one board. Avoid finger pointing and arguing and complaining even if you feel that things could be done better. As long as you are getting some cooperation and communication, you can have success. Even though the management got very defensive with me and gave me an attitude when I asked questions about treatment scheduling, etc. I ended up calling them after the last treatment and just thanking them for addressing the problem and told them it seemed like it was working. You never know when you might need their help again.

My number one take away is to keep living life! No matter how anxious or depressed we were, I forced myself to do things with friends and think about other things than bed bugs. It was so refreshing when an hour would go by and I realized that I forgot about the battle I was fighting. I accepted that I had a plan and I was implementing it and only time would tell if I needed to adjust it or if it was working so in the meantime, I should not worry about it and keep busy with other things. This was a little easier for me since I was just helping my mom and didn’t have to actually sleep in the middle of the warzone but I had plenty of sleepless nights worrying I might have brought them into my home and feeling like I was getting bit and turning on my phone’s flashlight to check my sheets or my skin. I never knew how many moles I have on my arm before I dealt with bed bugs but now I have them all mapped out. But back to my point, when we were cleaning and bagging, I could feel the tension in the air. I decided to play some music on my phone. I just put on a light mix of 80’s pop. I could instantly feel the mood change and my mom and I started humming along and laughing and enjoying memories. That’s the kind of stuff you need to do to keep your sanity through this. Another night, instead of getting straight to work, I brought over some Italian food and we had a meal together and watched some tv. We didn’t get as much done but we felt stronger and more optimistic.

So that’s our story. There’s always a risk she could get them again since she’s in an apartment and has various health aides come and go but hopefully we’re better prepared now and will be able to approach it calmly and logically and get it taken care of quickly. Bed bugs don’t terrify me anymore. I have an appropriate fear of getting them because they are an expensive and annoying pest and require a lot of patience to get rid of but I’m not going to inspect my bed every week looking for them. I do think about them more though like when I’m in a theater with comfy recliners or on hospital lobby furniture. I guess that’s just part of who I am now. But the more that I understand them, the less they intimidate me. I might need you all to remind me of my own words if I have to go through it again so please do.

Again, from the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you who gave me advice and comforting words when I was at my lowest point. Thank you @nobugsonme for running this site and helping so many thousands of people who don’t know where to begin when they first discover bed bugs. Thank you to the experts on here (Lou, BigDummy, David) who have dedicated hundreds and even thousands of hours of your own time to educate us on what you’ve learned and sort through the pictures of seeds and lint and ink stains to find the occasional bed bug. Thank you to all who were brave enough to share your experiences, mistakes, and success stories on here to make it a little less traumatic for the next group. I’ll keep doing my best to show my appreciation by giving back to this community and answering a question where I can or just a listening ear.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  2. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 22:04:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Iam so happy for you and Your Mom that it’s over .For good !!!!!
    Your words have always been comforting and supportive and keep me sane !!!!
    Sometimes it’s been so hard to deal with those monster and was ready to just give up and cry ,feeling so helpless ,feeling that those monsters they just wait somewhere in the hidden place ,observing me and planning the attack .How paranoid But it’s not funny it’s real .
    I haven’t seen anything since November but I have being bitten so Iam doing my routine .Like you said .Steamer is my best friend ,vacuuming (deeply)has become my favorite weekly activity,and laundry my bedding (once a week ).
    And Yes ,totally agree about the music .I had felt the tension in the air myself ..the music is a nice distraction (it doesn’t mean necessary that you are not concentrating on what you are doing ).I have not being bitten for 2 weeks although one mark on my belly looked suspicious and Ijust panicked and frick out .But I read what you said in another tread about your
    Mom being bitten here and there and it was like normal thing .It calmed me down .Thank you !!!!
    You are remarkable person and giving back .Your knowledge ,observation and common sense.Helping others and ALWAYS find some soothing words for anybody !!!!!I admire you for what you doing for this community (can I say that?)Please don’t stop !!!! Best of luck to YOU and your MOM !!!!And once again THANK YOU!!!!

3. SalsaVince

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 15:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad I could help you. I look forward to reading your success story soon.

4. anonabug

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Feb 10 2019 22:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Funny that you mentioned the health aides. That's how they were brought into my father's attached house when he was sick. Expensive problem, but PCO solved it. I appreciate more than ever my single family home!

5. Ash225

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Feb 11 2019 23:25:29
    #

Login to Send PM

This makes me so happy! Congrats. Your mom must be insanely happy.

I have a question about how you used the cimexa: where exactly did you put it? And did you lay it down super thin like DE? Thanks!

6. SalsaVince

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 10:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I exclusively used DE in her bedroom but I over applied it without knowing what I was doing at first. Fortunately, I don't think it mattered much because the bugs were exclusively on her bed and box springs and I killed them quickly after steaming and cleaning. I discovered Cimexa later on and used it mainly on her recliner chair. I put it in seams, especially underneath her foot rest where I found most of them and in seams on the back and under the arm rests. I used a duster for the first application but after that, I found it easier to work with a small soft bristle paint brush putting on it heavy but then spreading it out thinly moving it to the crevices. Keep in mind that I did have the furniture sprayed by a professional as well so that most likely helped finish them off but the cimexa had clear results immediately even before the first spray, as sightings and bites were rare after using it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,300 posts in 49,235 topics over 152 months by 21,583 of 22,004 members. Latest: looking2identify, Robbysee, Elephant88