Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

My clothes are biting me but not BB! Black dots/flakes, white lint

(11 posts)
  1. Shakeywood

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 0:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

At first I thought I had BB, but after talking at length with the exterminator and mentioning that there had been no blood spots in the bed, she told me I didn't have them. Then I mentioned that I'm bitten when I put clothes on and I have resorted to adding boiling water to the washing machine and that hasn't helped much.

She called back and said they had discussed it in the office and that it sounded like lint bugs, but she'd never heard of them. She asked if I could collect any samples and they would send them to an entomology professor at the university to ID. I've taken her quite a few!

I now pre wash all my clothes, by hand in boiling water, and it's amazing the various stages of the lifecycle that comes out in the water! The tiny black dots are the most prevalent, followed by a larger black bug, a triangular shaped black flake, a nearly transparent something (possibly a shed shell or casing), a red dot with tiny "tail", and finally, though only occasionally, the little white lint pieces. There are also what appears to be tiny bits of string floating around, and when the water is drained out there's a crystallized layer in the bottom of the sink or tub. I've also found little crystal bits on the bed, too. Oh, they're in my hair now, yeah me.

I've read other posts where this has become extreme. Some people have had success using Windex with ammonia or Lysol and spray everything with it, clothes, linens, walls, furniture, carpet and car interiors. I tried Windex yesterday as a "what the hell", and the suckers started showing up on my bed, 10x more than I have seen before! I sprayed the carpet and then vacuumed, too early to tell. I've gone through a gallon in 24 hours, including pouring some on my head. I'm wondering if they're possibly airborne.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any suggestions, ideas, remedies, prayers?
    Pictures to come

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 0:37:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't pour Windex or other products on your head or body.

Sorry-- I don't know what that is but I don't think there's such a thing as "lint bugs".

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 17:40:39
    #

Login to Send PM

There is no animal as "lint bugs". There is no such animal as "paper mites". These are just made up names to be able to place a name on a phenomenon that can't be identified. There are many sensations that can occur on the skin, but it doesn't mean that there is really some small creature causing them. Dark flakes, white flakes, lint, etc. occur in the environment and it doesn't mean that some animal such as an insect or mite (just because they are small) has to be the reason these objects exist.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Shakeywood

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 20:21:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs,
    Thank you for your professional input. I'm am well aware that the term "lint bug" is nickname for whatever these critters are. My "sensations" started about a month ago and getting dressed on a daily basis has become almost a comedy of errors, as in, let's see what article(s) of clothing will or will not bite me today!

Do you have little white crunchy things in your bed every night...and every morning? I go over my sheets with a lint roller before I climb in, and before I fall asleep, there are more crunchy bits. There are more of them in the morning too. I don't have the "sensation" of bugs crawling on me during the night, thank goodness. I just get bitten, not so much in bed anymore, but from my clothes.

Does the waistband of your underwear leave you with a rash of itchy bumps? If you took off your undies, plunged them into a sink of very hot water, 125 degrees +, and scrubbed the waistband in a few places, would you expect to see anything other that some fuzz or hair float out? Probably not. I get what I described in my initial post.

I am not a nut case. I don't believe in superstitions or ghost stories. I am educated and basically pretty damned smart. I suspect that you've never personally experienced anything like this nor have had any solid scientific evidence to substantiate the claims. I have collected an additional number of samples and my hope is that I will be able to speak with our entomology professor once school resumes next week. If you would like, I could have her get in touch with you if she finds anything of merit in the samples that I give her.

Basically these critters give a whole new meaning to the phase, "bite my ass!"

5. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 20:54:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think Lou is calling you a nut case. He gave you his professional advice/expertise. I think you are searching for a cause for these "bites" and are noticing something, due to your state of mind, that may have been there all along, even before the cause of your bites was even present. If your pco simply dismissed BBs because of the lack of blood stains or fecal matter(did they even thoroughly inspect), then I'd get a different pco. I've been dealing with bed bugs and I had no visible signs besides bites, no blood stains, no fecal, etc. The only thing that tipped us off was the bites and after a thorough inspection of our bed and couch, finally found a few instars. Not saying you have BBs cause its quite likely you dont, but don't completely dismiss it either. As for "bites" occurring not in bed but after you put clothing on, remember, some people have a delayed reaction to BB bites. I usually take a hour or two to show signs, which last about a hour and then they start to subside down the little red marks. You may be getting bit in bed, then not noticing until after you put clothes on. I hope you don't have BBs, as I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy, but don't dismiss them completely.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  6. Shakeywood

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 22:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback, though I think I'd rather have BB than these things! At least we can identify a BB and know how to effectively treat them...most of the time(?) Lol No one seems to know what any of these are.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jan 5 2017 22:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Looking forward to images and hoping they are clear and in focus.

I would also confirm windex is not the way forward and may actually make the matter worse by both drying your skin and changing the relative humidity of the room.

I would also recommend you also keep your mind open to no insect / organism causes such as environmental and medical.

At this stage the best thing you can do is generate those images so we can see what you see.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. Macfamily97

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri May 25 2018 9:58:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You are not crazy!! I have the EXACT SAME THING and they only bite my son and myself. My family is ready to send me away because I'm obsessed with cleaning up after I'm what but I can't relax to sleep in my own over sanitized bed without feeling like my private areas are under invasion! Help! If you have any updates please post them!

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri May 25 2018 11:45:55
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an older thread, you may want to start your own and post as much information as you can as well as any photos of suspected insects. Unfortunately photos of skin lesions/reactions aren't of much use to us, focus on the physical evidence.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  10. mojo172

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 19 2018 20:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

We had issues with the tiny white bugs in our building. Our neighbors below us were having issues with piegons nesting under their AC units in the windows .It started in the kids room the were feeling bugs moving on the and biting ,they were hard to see then the mom spotted these tiny white specs crawling around on the kids dresser .She contacted her doctor he said they were probably bird mites.We eventually got them up in our place it's become a seasonal battle with them .It was recommended we use the RID stuff that is used for lice .We vacumed the rugs made sure we got into all of the corners by the wood work and the window sills also, then we spray the rid.There is a shampoo also because they have a tendency to go for the the hair .I also found powders for the carpets that I uses.Also make sure you are vacuuming your couches very well .They seem to disappear once the weather gets cold .You have to vacuum and repeat treatment for about 3 weeks to make sure you get them all . Make sure you wash your beding including blankets weekly in hot water and then into a hot drier.I remember within the last few year in the city Iive in a woman called 911 because she was being bit so bad by bugs she couldn't, see them turns outbirds again their mites got into her ac system she was covered in these tiny tiny bird mites they had to put her in one of those tyvec hazard suit to transport her to the hospital they had to deal louse her at the hospital .Then her home had to be fumigated to kill off the infestation in her home.

11. Heyhey88

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 5 2018 2:30:44
    #

Login to Send PM

mojo172 - 2 weeks ago  » 
    We had issues with the tiny white bugs in our building. Our neighbors below us were having issues with piegons nesting under their AC units in the windows .It started in the kids room the were feeling bugs moving on the and biting ,they were hard to see then the mom spotted these tiny white specs crawling around on the kids dresser .She contacted her doctor he said they were probably bird mites.We eventually got them up in our place it's become a seasonal battle with them .It was recommended we use the RID stuff that is used for lice .We vacumed the rugs made sure we got into all of the corners by the wood work and the window sills also, then we spray the rid.There is a shampoo also because they have a tendency to go for the the hair .I also found powders for the carpets that I uses.Also make sure you are vacuuming your couches very well .They seem to disappear once the weather gets cold .You have to vacuum and repeat treatment for about 3 weeks to make sure you get them all . Make sure you wash your beding including blankets weekly in hot water and then into a hot drier.I remember within the last few year in the city Iive in a woman called 911 because she was being bit so bad by bugs she couldn't, see them turns outbirds again their mites got into her ac system she was covered in these tiny tiny bird mites they had to put her in one of those tyvec hazard suit to transport her to the hospital they had to deal louse her at the hospital .Then her home had to be fumigated to kill off the infestation in her home.

Thank you so much for your post mojo172! I think this might be my problem. I have an appt with doc this Saturday. I hear birds every morning outside my window. It's not so pleasant when you think there might be a nest by your ac unit and mites getting in. For the last two weeks I have exactly what Shakeywood described.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg