Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

MY Bug questions

(5 posts)
  1. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 1:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all, this is a great forum, very useful.

So far, its not too terrible. I found the first one in late march, before feeling any bites. Felt several bites soon, had landlord spray. The apartment was sprayed the first time, then a month later (too long) then two weeks later and will come again 3 weeks after that treatment and then monthly. He is using a mix of Suspend and Gentrol, and after the 3rd visit poured me a bottle of Sterifab.

I threw out the futon I was sleeping on just before 3rd visit as it was a cheap ikea anyway AND that they are leaving droppings on the hidden ends of wooden slats that I had been spraying every other day with a product called 707-b (.10% Pyrethins, .40% tech piperonyl butoxide). They were IN the metal frame I think and the poisons didnt reach far enough in, so for now im on an air mattress on the floor.

My landlord will be painting my room, and I or she will caulk the cracks at the floor. Will also invest in some DE and other products.

Ok, so my questions:
    1: Its an old house. I found some droppings in a door jamb, the doorknob faceplate (where the locking piece goes) some in a very dangerously constructed closet (cracks everywhere) and some eggs in gap in an ikea chair. I cleaned all these out with watered down amonia then sprayed my sterifab.

But behind many faceplates and electric plates are just empty space. What to do for these large gapped areas? Should I disassemble the door knob?

2: as to bites, does anyone get some bites that itch and some that dont??? Do you get all sizes of bites? I have the problem of getting friction blemishes on legs and some on arms, and I see some that might be bites, but dont itch, but ive been itchy before!

3: ive got a lot of books I dont want to part with. Lugging them up to the roof in July is a good option, but has anyone had experience with a strip of some sort or spraying in bags? Is there a book inspection criteria?

Thanks all.

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 3:05:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bushbugg...

Sounds like there are a gazillion places for the bugs to hide and multiply.

Tell your landlady that the bugs love to live behind electrical cover plates. You can find information about that on almost any website about bed bugs. Show it to her and tell her to please replace those and make them gap free. While she is fixing those, you can look inside and see if there is any evidence of bugs...Look to see what is best to put back there to keep the BBs from returning.. Same with the door knob plate...Yuckie..

Almost all of my bites itched...and sometimes even without new bites -- like tonight (that's why i'm up at this hour) -- i had to get up and take a nice shower with my loofah, because i had a sort of generalized itching all over...

but once in a while i would get a bite that did not itch like the others and which healed quicker...i suspect that maybe the critter didn't have long enough time to feed or something...
    I have read that a human's reaction to BB saliva changes over time... in fact they say that the more one is bitten, the worse the reaction becomes...

As far as books go...i am seriously considering chucking all of my books (except one...Mushashi = hard cover-- the best book ever!) and going completely electronic. i don't even want books from the library any more. I think i'm going to go Kindle or Nook or something like that...really soon. What do i need paper books around for? decoration? Anyway books have bugs also...mites! not nice...

good luck with your landlady..i hope she takes care of business..

3. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon May 31 2010 19:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Im having a problem both identifying blemishes as bites and keeping track of when they happen. The kinds I have sort of just have a spike of awareness/ pricking and then fade. Its nowhere near the constant itching I had before the first spraying and right before a few days after the second.

Right now my paranoid self is spraying with sterifab every other night before bed!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 1 2010 2:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't forget that Sterifab is contact insecticide action only and there is no residual, so cleaning, washing, spraying doesn't due much when no bugs exist. Sterifab is alcohol based and ruins wood finishes, wax finishes, leather surfaces. Washing with citrus based products, Murphy's Oil Soap, more useful. PCO treating three times, but only using those same products and not others? The Vapona strip has been used according to itis label instructions by placement in a sealed plastic garbage bag to kill bugs and eggs. Bed bug bites can result in less of a reaction over time, at least in my case.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 1 2010 22:55:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou.
    My roommate got two bites on the back of the neck, after two days here (and my other roommate claiming he had felt nothing ever)

So here is my plan:

Rent a storage room,
    packtite everything
    seal new bags with packtited items and hotshot/ vapona strips
    throw out more stuff. take no furniture.

rent a new room at the end of the lease.
    have a reputable exterminator spray before move in
    spray two weeks after move in

Anybody know abojut how this relates to NY landlords?

While my landlord has not been uncooperative, she also hasnt been extremely forward with this; the room where apparently they originated has remained unrented for a few months and she did not spray any of the other apartments (to my knowledge) until I asked her to spray mine. The pest guy (I wouldnt call him a PCO at this point) did not even ask me to move my mattress from my futon on the first spray! (They were heavily attached to the wooden slats in the metal futon frame) Nor has she responded well to my calls to caulk up baseboard cracks.
    as of now im on an air mattress that I am spraying with sterifab and spraying cracks with 707b. The more I think the more I itch!!!

Any and all advice will be helpful.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,755 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07