My BB story

(3 posts)
  1. nevergivingup

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 2 2015 14:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone! I've been reading all your stories since last week and I would like to share my story.

This whole thing started 2 months ago when I started seeing bugs in my dirty clothes. I also found one in my bathroom. I just thought they were baby cockroaches so I sprayed for roaches. Two weeks later, I went to bed at 1am and a baby BB crawled across my neck. Did some digging online and positively id'd them as bed bugs. I lost it! I stripped my bed and found poop on my pillow, and 3 adults along the edge of my mattress, poop, casts, and babies. I also saw one in my living room stuck in a spider's web. I did what the Internet said: bagged all bedding and clothing in the laundry basket in the drier on high heat, went to Home Depot and got Hot Shot spray, Diatomaceous Earth, and No Pest strips (similar to Nuvan). I sprayed the floor and mattress with the spray and bagged up the other stuff in my room that couldn't be dried (like shoes and other clothing that would get damaged on high heat) and put them in a huge garbage bag with no pest strips. I also purchased mattress casings. After the carpet was dry, I sprinkled the carpet with DE and left the room for 7 days. I put everything back together and went back into the bedroom. I sprayed the living room with Hot Shot around the base boards. A few nights later, I had more BBs in my bed. Turns out, the mattress casings were defective and had holes in them. I called up Target and explained the predicament and that I'm not going to bring them back due to the BBs. They allowed me to just bring the packaging and let me exchange them. I taped up the holes and put the new encasements over the first ones and inserted No Pest strips and left them for 7 days while staying out of my room. I bagged my bedding and dried on high heat AGAIN. I also bought some "residual spray" that will kill them for 2 weeks. I sprayed that around the baseboards of my bedroom. I also put more DE on the floor. I bought some food storage containers for the legs of my bed with DE in them to kill any BBs that tried coming up to my bed again. After the 7 days, I put everything back together and went back to my bedroom. There were 2 dead ones new my closet and my bathroom (the DE was still on my closet floor so I think they came out to die). Last week, after 2 weeks with no evidence of BBs, I found two on my dresser, an adult and a nymph (could have been a cast) with some eggs (they look just like white rice) in my top dresser drawer. I underestimated them! I didn't think they would climb that high so I didn't dry the clothes in that drawer. So I bagged all those clothes and dried on high heat then bagged them with No Pest strips (overkill? probably). I also washed all my bedding on hot and dried on high heat AGAIN. It should be noted that I have been vacuuming every other day during this whole process. I was tired of using chemicals because the residual spray was affecting my skin, so I went on Amazon and bought a Wagner high pressure steamer! I killed the eggs with Hot Shot, then steamed them and they disintegrated! I steamed all the baseboards and the whole dresser (there was no more evidence of BBs other than those few eggs). When it was all dry, I vacuumed the whole room and focused on the baseboards. I made some more DE interceptors with food storage containers for my dining room table, dresser, and jewelry armoir. There was a small brown bug on my futon in the living room but it didn't look like a bed bug (I think it had wings but I wasn't sure if it was a cast even though it didn't look like one) but I've been vacuuming the crap out of it just in case. I tore apart my living room and found no evidence of BBs. I have been keeping my laptop in a garbage bag for extra protection to be on the safe side. I found out that the people above my had a bad infestation (hundreds!!) and moved out. I think the apartment complex sprayed his place before the next people moved in. I warned them just in case.

So that's my battle so far... I'm going to continue to check the DE traps and keep living out of trash bags for now. I'm almost certain that they are not in my bed but I still check before I get into bed. Let me tell you, this has been seriously stressful, as I'm sure you all know. If I feel a tiny tingle on my leg at night I don't know if it's a bed bug or is it all in my head? Sometimes I feel like I'm going batsh*t crazy!! I have to keep in mind that I am doing everything I can and that gives me peace of mind to an extent. I'm never going to give up!! I will beat these little buggers!!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 2 2015 15:38:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Too much DE and repellent based spray can cause bedbugs to nest higher up. That might explain why you found them on the dresser.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. nevergivingup

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 2 2015 16:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 25 minutes ago  » 
    Too much DE and repellent based spray can cause bedbugs to nest higher up. That might explain why you found them on the dresser.

That explains it!! Thank you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,215 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls